Caring for mum

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Good to hear you have it under control , who knew re Tic Taks , live and learn on here :) Mum went through a phase of having something serious wrong , her hip , eyes, legs , you name it it was faulty ! I just said yes I will make an appointment and conveniently forgot . Hope it passes soon?

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I am just brushing it off. Personally feeling quite strong at the moment so “it’s water off a ducks back” to me and I tell her sternly “no” which she responds to. If I’m not in a good place then oh my!
Tic tacs are my secret weapon
Good attitude ? Lovely to read you're feeling like that at moment :)?

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
Wow.. completely wrong way to put it but I am so relieved right now to see so many issues I’m faced with being talked about here. New to the forum and I’ve already learned so much from others on here. I’m not alone!! My mum has also began to accuse me of lying about many things, hope all is going ok.

This forum has been a great support, and you will find someone has been through something similar. It's really helped me.
Kind of funny re-reading my post now, it feels like a long time ago. Things did get worse sadly, and 4 weeks ago my mum moved into a care home. I have been very lucky (if you can call it that), she has settled into the home great and already we have seen an improvement.

My heart goes out to all on here who are caring for loved ones - it's an amazing, but incredibly difficult thing to do. Despite the stress, sleepless nights and worry it caused, I now feel very sad that I could no longer look after my mum at home.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Flu jab time . Rang the doctors “do you have any proof you are a carer ?” (Slight mental scream this end) Told them to look on my mums records and then she realised I could have it now!
Tried to book mum in (she doesn't want it) but I can’t go in with her. No way is that happening soon explained that it could be very difficult for their nurse if mum is on a bad day. Immediately offered the jab at home!! Whoppee win win for mum now all I have to do is persuade her to have it. May try the line of “Boris says so”!

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Good job on getting them to let you be there with your mum? Good luck with it, 'Boris says so' sounds good. Hope it works ?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
@annielou not mentioning it to her yet; my jabs not for two weeks so I will tell her when the nurse contacts me!
I really get the feeling that they would prefer Alzheimer’s sufferers to be anywhere but in the surgery!

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
After a few quiet weeks lockdown returns. No flu jab yet so good job we’re in.
On Monday I took mum out for lunch to the garden centre. We had to wait owing to Covid precaution. Mums meal arrived with “I don’t like salad “ and it’s all over the table, server saying “madam I will get you a plate” me saying “ don’t “to him “ whilst scrabbling up the salad onto a saucer. A quick trip to the counter to explain she had Alzheimer’s and he was ok. Mum was totally unaware!

She’s not taking lockdown well, why can’t I get my hair done? I want to go shopping !! Big bad person (me) says no we have delivery and click and collect...” there won’t be queues we can go” says mum “no” is the answer. A bit later “we can go out your sister is going for the flu jab “ I just looked at her “ it’s medical “ “ could I get a taxi to the doctor if you couldn’t take
Me” I just told her yes if they were working. She hasn’t called a taxi for 7 years and dosnt know where the doctors is so could be interesting.
Then to cap it all one cat caught a mouse and the other one stole it and hid behind the tv. Told mum to go to bed whilst I sorted the cats. I turn around and she’s by the cloakroom door pulling on the light cord telling me that the light keeps coming on. “Bed now off we go “
And she does
Lockdown starts tomorrow and it looks like it’s going to be 28 days full of fun and frivolity (not)

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Glad to hear that your managed to avert ‘salad gate’ and that you managed a trip to the garden centre. Me and OH went this morning for a cooked breakfast at a garden centre knowing that it would be the last chance for a while.
it’s hard being the bad, horrible person. Mum told me that she was getting the bus home (from the Care Home) the other day - I guess she has forgotten about the trains she can see from her room as previously she was always going to get a train home if I didn’t drive her.
I keep my fingers crossed for you that the next 28 days are calm and boring for you. Failing that wine is on offer at a certain supermarket if that might help?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Wine gives me a hangover!! Even just one glass, on the other hand a nice glass of brandy. Tempted to order the Christmas cognac early this year!!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Sorry I shouldn’t laugh but ‘saladgate ‘ made me chuckle . Let’s hope the next 4 weeks whizz by . Oh you should def order the Christmas Tipple now just in case ;) It will almost definitely evaporate so best get extra ? .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
saladgate made me laugh too, though not sure it would if I was part of it. you handled it well ? Good luck with lockdown????

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Took mum to click and collect at Asda, I am so good to her!! She just wants “out” and shops. I am just looking for click and collects and thanking all my lucky stars that the McD drive through appears to be open!!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Reminds me of my gran-in-law who 'doesn't eat salad'. I frequently eat various hearty salads, warm or cold, but she thinks salad is just some lettuce on a plate. When she visited last year she commented on how 'unusual' the parade of soups which came out of the kitchen were. I didn't know what else to feed her, and tomato and lentil is hardly pushing the boundaries of the culinary world! Anyway sounds like you're doing a super job and I hope you are doing ok today. It's a lovely day here I can only imagine that makes the urge to go out to the shops worse!

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
McDonald’s drive through to get lunch and then a discussion about where we ate it (kitchen) what we ate it off (placemats) and how we ate it (fingers) !!

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
It was flu jab day!! I turned my back this morning and mums back in bed!! She was all over the place this morning but after a hearty breakfast of boiled egg, toast and marmalade she was ready for anything....well bed.
Naturally the nurses came before she got up and they did volunteer to do it in mums room but I got her up and downstairs in the kitchen. (Could mop floor after)
Luckily they were from the surgery and I have known one of them since she was in nursery with my daughter and her husband.
Then they asked that difficult question. “What’s your date of birth?”
Mum gave a sigh looked at me suggested a few dates and then remembered 1930!! I filled in the rest! We’d done it, passed the test..only thing is I am a bit sad as not long ago she would have known the answer without help.
On the bright side the nurses confirmed that mum was on their list for the Covid jab so we will sit and hope like everyone else!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Glad the jab done and hopefully won’t be too long for the Covid one . Mum will slip off to bed if I turn my back for too long as well .

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Good your mum has had flu jab and on list for covid one, well done on getting her ready for it. Shame about the sad reminder of memory getting worse though. ?

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
A fun outing this morning for the first COVID jab! Had to go to another surgery but it was well organised. However there were a minimum of 10 older patients at any one time, all with varying degrees of physical and mental disabilities. We survived and mum only swore twice!!
I am very grateful to all the staff, they are not getting much of a break at Christmas and with some having young children it is a big ask!!