Caring for mum at home and sleep deprived

Jayjoe8985

Sep 22, 2018
Hi, I'm new to talking point and have found it therapeutic reading through other members posts. Good to know I'm not the only one caring for someone with cruel Alzheimer's.
My husband and I have had mum living with us for six months and to be truthful it's been a nightmare. Mums had Alzheimer's for seven years, she is in the late stages. She eats (with fingers) really well and has a good appetite but physically and mentally failing, she is incontinent and has zero quality if life. She Speaks gobbledegook and worse of all she wakes up at 4am every morning and will not go back to bed. Insists on getting up (to go to work or feed children). The sleep deprivation is killing us. Mum goes to bed 8pm and we can't get her to stay up later. Tried numerous meds but to no avail. We thankfully have mum in a day centre 3 days a week which she absolutely hates and I feel so guilty leaving her. Has anyone else out there cared for Demented parent at home till the end. I intend on seeing it through till the end but am well aware I might have to give in. Love to hear other people's experiences.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Jayjoe8985 .

I wonder if your family may find any local support services like a memory café to be of some use. You can do a post code check to see what's available to you by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

The full list of the very informative Factsheets on the site can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

If communicating with you mum becomes an issue for either you or your dad, a few handy tips can be picked from the useful thread that can be reached with this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi, I'm new to talking point and have found it therapeutic reading through other members posts. Good to know I'm not the only one caring for someone with cruel Alzheimer's.
My husband and I have had mum living with us for six months and to be truthful it's been a nightmare. Mums had Alzheimer's for seven years, she is in the late stages. She eats (with fingers) really well and has a good appetite but physically and mentally failing, she is incontinent and has zero quality if life. She Speaks gobbledegook and worse of all she wakes up at 4am every morning and will not go back to bed. Insists on getting up (to go to work or feed children). The sleep deprivation is killing us. Mum goes to bed 8pm and we can't get her to stay up later. Tried numerous meds but to no avail. We thankfully have mum in a day centre 3 days a week which she absolutely hates and I feel so guilty leaving her. Has anyone else out there cared for Demented parent at home till the end. I intend on seeing it through till the end but am well aware I might have to give in. Love to hear other people's experiences.

@Jayjoe8985 You don't have to see it through to the end if you don't want to. There is nothing wrong with admitting that you are beaten. This disease takes everything you will give and more. I am caring for my dad in his own home and finding it very hard and he is probably one of the easier PWD's

Dad has cancer and I am determined to make his remaining weeks or months as nice as possible for him but I don't think I could cope if I thought that it could be years. You have to consider your own health as well.

Do keep posting as this is a good place to come to.

Rosie lea

Oct 9, 2018