Caring for mother

Froth48

May 23, 2021
Hello

we’ve been caring for my mum who’s 79 with late stage cancer and vascular dementia we’ve really struggled physically and emotionally in the last few months and had little to no support. I had no idea where to go or how to get the right help and advice so have felt very lost and confused. ...... it’s been very hard and frustrating...... I realise there are a lot of people in this situation.......been researching how best to help support and understand her.....

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Froth48.

There is now a section for people caring for a person with dementia and cancer here;

I hope you will be able to find some information and support which will help.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is a Thread here which may be more informative @Froth48

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Froth48
a warm welcome to DTP
your mum is fortunate to have you looking after her ..... you are wise to looking for help to care for her

I wonder whether you've found Admiral Nurses, they are there to support carers ... there may not be one in your area but the have a Helpline

and Macmillan Nurses

have a chat with your GP as to whether Marie Curie nurses may be helpful as the GP has to make a referral to them

your mum is entitled to an assessment of her care needs by her Local Authority Adult Services, make it clear that you as carers need help to support your mum with both the dementia and cancer ... from that a care package will be suggested eg home care visits, respite, day care, an OT visit to suggest aids and adaptions

you may find some local services too

and our knowledgeable Support Line staff are there to chat about anything

have a look around the forums here and keep posting, members will offer sympathy and useful suggestions