Caring for grandparents. Trials and tribulations

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Sarah4uk, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Sarah4uk

Sarah4uk Registered User

Dec 17, 2015
    Hi everyone.
    I have so very much to post it will have to be in parts, so I'll start with the beginning...
    In late 2013, after a very windy stormy night, my mum rang up my grandparents to see how they were, as they had large trees opposite their house, and nanny always got nervous when it was very windy.

It turned out that nanny had fallen over in the night on her way to the toilet, and my grandad (eeyore - another story!) had fallen over trying to get her up.
    Nanny didn't press her panic button as the chain was on the door (put on by social services...) so no one would be able to get in.

In the morning she managed to get up off the floor, and called the neighbour to help eeyore up.

My mum then drove up to North Yorkshire (which of course took 7 hours from Shropshire), and stayed for a week.
    Nanny deteriorated, and ended up in hospital, to a care home, and back to hospital where she was diagnosed with temporal arteritis.

As eeyore can't boil a kettle, we eventually brought him home to us in January 2014.
    *by us, I mean me, my mum and dad - yes I'm the child who came home after uni and never left!!*

When nanny was ready to be discharged, we duly drove up and fetched her to bring her back down to Shropshire.

After a few weeks of them both being here, they decided they didn't want to go back to Yorkshire, and couldn't really manage on their own anymore.

*previous to this, my aunt would do some online shopping for them, and visit every couple of weeks, but stopped letting nanny go to the shop with her "in case she fell"*

Anyway, I put their house up for sale, and we slowly cleared it, ending up buying a 40ft container which luckily our neighbour farmer lets us leave on his land, which is full of their possessions.

Long story short, we run a business from home, and have an acre of land, so with a bit of moving of buildings, we are building them a bungalow (5 adults in a 3 bed house, with 4 Zimmer frames doesn't really work at the best of times)

I'll continue later on with a whole lot of verbal diarrhoea!

2. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    What a wonderful solution for your gandparents. Its great thst you can do this as a family. Im hooked and will watch for thecrest of your story. Welcome to a very exclusive club.

3. Selinacroft

Selinacroft Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    Hi Sarah and welcome. What lucky grandparents you have. I hope it all works out well for you all.

4. Sarah4uk

Sarah4uk Registered User

Dec 17, 2015
    To start with, things went well.

But we realised just how bad eeyores memory had gotten, he was obsessed that the wine lived in the downstairs toilet, and one day went to get it, only to return with a bottle of bleach...

He would tell us he'd been for a walk outside, when we knew he hadn't left the house. Obviously this "lying" had been going on for some time, and when they were in Yorkshire and we'd speak to him on the phone, and he'd tell us what he'd been up to, who knows how much was reality?

He was also quite lazy when in Yorkshire. They had a toilet upstairs, and one outside; up 3 steps and about 4 meters from the back door. He would walk outside, and pee by the back door.
    Even now, in the summer, we have caught him peeing outside - he has to walk past our downstairs toilet to get outside! And as our business is open to the public, this, we thought was unacceptable!

So you tell him off; and it's like telling off a toddler, there is no concept of any wrong doing.

Finally we managed to get referred to the memory team, and he was diagnosed with dementia, and started on medication.

Ok, enough typing for today!

Thanks for reading, Sarah

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point