• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Caring for Granddad

EmilySd

Dec 30, 2015
Derby
Hi all! I hope your weekend is going well?
Thanks for all your advice re: me staying at Grandmas once a week to help with Granddad. Grandma is thrilled and Granddads Dr says it's a wonderful idea.
Does anyone on here go to any training courses or has anyone done a Dementia course? I am a dementia friend but I'd like to do a course too.

Emily xo

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point

Shedrech

Volunteer Moderator
Dec 15, 2012
Yorkshire
Hi EmilySd
you are a credit to your parents and grandparents - and obviously a joy and comfort to your Grandma and Granddad - power to you :)

I'm saddened that my dad's adult grandsons - my siblings children - don't visit him and don't even write birthday cards and such - their choice, I appreciate that
so it warms my heart when I read on TP that there are grandchildren who remain in their grandparents lives and continue to cherish them

I know my Local Authority have courses sometimes so maybe look on your LA's website?

with best wishes and much respect

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Well done Emilysd. The reward you will get from knowing you are helping your grandparents at the most vulnerable time in their lives is immeasurable . My own staff have accessible courses made available by the NHS but there are quite a lot of free courses available , which the public can access . Here's a link for one of them
http://www.scie.org.uk/publications/elearning/dementia/index.asp .
You can also contact Alzheimer's Society who will also inform you of any courses . Good luck and I wish you well as you help your grandparents . Best wishes . Lou