Caring for Carers

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
just an update on the idea.

but first a major thank you to Connie for offering to pay postage. That was typically kind and caring - we will look into this whole area before doing anything. ...but we ain't going to land you with the stamps!!!

We hope to be able to coordinate with plans the AS has for awareness, and are awaiting details from them. If it seems better that we go off at a tangent, we will think long and hard as to how!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Bruce
where are we now with the guide lines?
I have some very interested parties in my area,could be the start of something big!!!!!
Norman

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Norman,
if you have interested parties then that is different from 'cold calling' a bunch of folks in hope, not expectation.

A pilot test is always worth doing anyway, so I'd suggest at least preparing for that as anything done could be used later anyway.

One thing someone needs to do is to search TP for all references to 'bad' nursing as quotes are always more powerful than anecdotal tales.

Currently the plan from AS:
The suggestion is that TP moderators and members are involved in the structured "quality of dementia" campaign which will develop during 2007 and onwards.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Bruce

There are a lot of possible quotes in the replies to my original request. I condensed them to get the handout down to two A4 pages, for economy.

I'll have a go at putting them in as quotes, and will see if there are any more available.

But how long do you want it?

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Hazel

that will save a lot of work!

How long? As long as the material you have, please. We can select and prune according to the precise message we wish to present.

Thanks so much!

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
hospitals

Hi Hazel.
My husband was recently taken to hospital for an ultra scan with suspected DVT he was accompanied by me and a care assistant from his home while in the ultra scan dept his slipped from the wheelchair to the floor two burly security men picked him up and of course he was stressed:eek: Instead of lying him down to scan his leg they kept him in the wheelchair the result was the scan was abandoned because he was stressed. Then he was returned to the home with no result as to why his leg was swollen and he could not walk. this is a patient who has vascular problems.

I have since transferred him to a new care home where i hope his leg will be sorted out and he can walk again.

I have sent a letter of complaint to the hospital whom also wrongly diagnosed a fracture in the leg:eek:

regards Cynron x x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks Cynron.

Sorry for your dreadful experience, and I hope your husband will soon be mobile again.

I'll certainly use your quote, and any more quotes will be gratefully accepted.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hazel, printed copy out and took it to the care home that Lionel is in.
The manager there was very impressed and said that she would like to keep some copies of same, so that in the event of someone from the home having to be admitted to hospital, a copy would be sent in with them along with any relevant 'care plan'.

I am going to bring the same idea up at the next committee meeting of our local Alzheimer's group.

Once again "thank you".

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Dad was taken into hospital yesterday. The doctor said he would be kept in for a couple of days. I asked if it was known that he had Alzheimer's and was assured it would be on his notes.

On the Acute ward I went to the person writing Dad's name on the wipe board and told her too (she did not know and thanked me - I hoped she might make a note on the board but she didn't).

This morning I phoned to ask how he was, he'd been transferred to another ward and I again asked if they knew he has Alzheimer's. This member of staff said she did not know because "it's on his notes" which she did not have at the time. Then she asked me a few questions about Dad, and one was "has he had any mental health problems"! :eek:

I'm not complaining about the care Dad is getting but I just wish that Hazel's handouts become a standarised procedure so that people can understand a bit more. And what is the point of it just being written on his notes? I'm sure everyone who interacts with him won't have read them. They put a plastic name-tag round Dad's wrist, wouldn't it be an idea to have a symbol written on this to show he has dementia, but perhaps there is a down side to that.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
So sorry to read about dad. Hope things improve soon.

It is so frustrating when you have to keep making everyone aware of our loved ones illness. Like the idea of having details on the name tag.

Thinking of you,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Hazel, I would have thought it would be a priority to make sure all records are accurate, particularly for staff working shifts.
This is one of the blessings of TP. We can all learn from the experiences of others. I`m not very good at thinking on my feet, I usually think half an hour later of what I should have done.
I am now forewarned, in the event of a hospital admission for my husband, and would check the records and wipe boards to ensure everyone knows.
Thank you Hazel, love Sylvia x

Gwyneva

Feb 11, 2007
"Caring for carers" - some thoughts

I have just found and read this paper and the post which follows it. Along with everyone else, I think it is a wonderful and potentially very useful document... If these ideas were incorporated into the care of our dear demented relatives, they could feel more secure, receive better care, and we could all rest more happily when we leave them 'on the ward'.

Just one suggestion from me - to do with the title, and a little bit also the way it is structured:

It seems to me that, if it is being read by a professional (doctor, nurse, college tutor or whoever) the title may be a little misleading. My suggestion for a title would be something along the lines of:

Caring for patients with dementia
some observations and suggestions from a group of primary care-givers

If something like this was used, then the first paragraphs may need to be slightly reworded.

If this idea is considered helpful, I'd be more than happy to be involved in suggestions for editing that first part. (I am an ex-management consultant, now practising as a therapist and helping to look after my mother, and have loads of copy-writing experience.)

Thanks to all involved so far. May this paper get out there and start doing its valuable work!

With love, Gwyneva

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Gwyneva

Thank you for your comments about my article. As you are fairly new to TP, I felt some explanation might help you and others who were not members at the time.

Firstly, the title. I was asked to address a training conference for nurses about the treatment of AD patients on general wards. The conference was titled 'Caring for Carers', hence my title. The sub-title is more descriptive of the contents of the article.

Secondly, the article was compiled with the help of a number of members of TP who had had relevant experiences. Bruce thought it could be useful as a TP resource, and possibly used at some time by AS.

That is why it is there. It is freely available for any member to download and use if they need it. I have also given permission for people to amend it for their own individual use.

But the copyright for the article remains with me and implicitly with AS, who have my permission to use it as they see fit.

This is not to discourage you, I value your input. I just thought the situation needed clarifying. If you would like to see the original thread, it is:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/TalkingPoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=4726

Love,

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa