Caring for Carers

Kerry-Jane

Feb 9, 2004
Surrey
Hi Everyone
I am on the hunt for some information.

I work for a leading Trade Union and whilst they are very good with employment policies for their staff I have noticed, now that I have a vested interest, a distinct lack of information and policy when it comes to carers (unless you have children then you get the lot!!)
Does anyone know of any company policies that relate to carers, I am particularly interested in voucher schemes to help with sitters or day centres. My company provides childcare vouchers but at the present nothing for those of us without children but more "adult" responsibilities.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who might be able to help.

Thanks a lot.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Kerry-Jane
have you tried the alzeimer's society 0845 3000336-web sitewww.alzeimers.org.uk.
Good place to start I would think
Norman

emscub

Dec 5, 2003
Bath
Hi Kerry-Jane,

I don't know a lot about this issue, but I think it's one that many employers still don't really consider. I think many employers (if given a choice) would probably opt out of giving parents time off and help with childcare, but with so much of it now being statutory, they have no choice, and as employers currently do not HAVE to provide any assistance for employees who may be caring for someone, most choose not to! They've been talking about making statutory guidelines for carers for quite a while now, but nothing has happened as yet!