Caring for a person with dementia in India

neha

Apr 3, 2021
Hello,
I am from India. My parents live in a small town in India. My father, 73 years, has an early-onset dementia, previously Alzheimer's, and now more of frontotemporal one. He has been on medications ever since his primary stage. However, in his middle stage of the disease, it is becoming difficult to manage him as recently he also got arthritis and hence his mobility has reduced. There is no care facility in this city. My mother is the primary caregiver, and sometimes I stay over with them too. I am wondering what do you in advanced stages of dementia with no care facilities in the city.
Any suggestions are welcome.

neha

Apr 3, 2021
Thanks. I am now looking into it. There isn't a local chapter for India as of now, although other kinds of useful tips on care are there on the website which seem to be useful.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @neha

Even if there is no care facility in your area, I`m sure there will be a hospital. I wonder if it might be worthwhile asking if they can advise you.

neha

Apr 3, 2021
@Izzy Thanks a lot. This is very useful information. I was not aware of this website and services in India. I called them, because of the covid situation, they are closed. But I some hopeful leads.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Ah that’s good @neha. Good luck. Keep posting here - there’s always someone here to listen and support.