Carers

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi everyone,
Last night I was asked to go to a Carers group to speak about my role in the Alzheimers Society Nationaly and Locally, as a person with Dementia. This arose because I was given an award for my local work in the Society and people wanted to know what I had been up to in the last two years.
This was something I had never done before as I was always a little frightened of upsetting someone.
At most events we speak at, we get an audience of General public some doctors, nurses and Society people, but never all Carers.
I was very moved at one stage by someone who was struggling with her husbands illness, but in the end I began to realise that one persons illness is very different to another. Not only that, but Carers have a very difficult life trying to juggle their love and feelings for a loved one who has this horrendous illness, along side the feelings towards the illness.
I always knew that carers were very loving and caring, but in the end I came to the conclusion that they are a very special breed, and I do not think there can be anything to match them in this world.
You all have my deepest admiration, and although you would never ask to do the job you do, in caring for your loved ones in this way, you always put everything into it.
I have learnt a lot on Talking Point, and as I said to these people last night, this website is well worth using no matter what you are suffering, as there is always someone on line who will help and give advise.

You are all a credit.

Very Best Wishes

Ken

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thank- you Ken thats very kind of you to say

You all have my deepest admiration, and although you would never ask to do the job you do, in caring for your loved ones in this way, you always put everything into it.
xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Ken,

Thank you for your kind words.

You are doing so much to help raise awareness of Alzheimers, I know of no-one who can match it.

No one would choose to be a carer. I would much prefer that my husband hadn`t developed this condition that has turned our life upside down, and know without exception, I speak for everyone.

But we don`t have the choice, and when faced with it, just have to get on with it.
`For better or worse, in sickness or in health.`

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
as a person with Dementia. , .

Hi Ken,
As a carer I would like to say, that people like you, I find truely amazing even though your own journey is a difficult one,you are there to share with others and I have gained great insight from people like yourself I know of other carers who would warm heartedly agree. I wish you well.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Bless you Ken. You have just given me inspiration to face another day.

Not that we want praise, but you speak for many of our loved ones who are unable to elucidate for themselves.

Best wishes to you and Janice. Love n'hugs

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Ken, thank you so much. You are so amazing, because you have the insight to see from the other side of the fence, and are able to express that insight.

So many of our loved ones have either lost the insight, or have lost the ability to express it. Your posts brighten all our days.

Much love to you and Janice,

fearful fiona

Apr 19, 2007
London
Dear Ken

Your message is very heart warming and moving. Thank you for all you are doing for those who are less able to express themselves.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hello Again,

I know that it is very hard to cope with this illness god only knows, we all know what it is like, but it must be horrendous to be the wife or Husband of a person who has been diagnosed with this, because you have no idea whether mediaction is available, whether it will work or will be offered, and you have no idea how long the illness will last. Although I get the medication, I have no idea how long it will work. No one has these answers.
Yet we see and hear of carers ploughing everything into keeping a system going without support from Social Services. This is pure dedication, and to me it is hard to watch because I can understand what the carers feel about their loved ones.
About 20 years ago my wife had a serious road accident, and I thought that she would die within six months, but she pulled through thank god, and although she had injuries that would last for the rest of her life she carried on. We had about three years of operations and heart wrenching times, but we came through it with two very young children.
She is now my carer and I think I can understand just how hard it feels. I suppose this prepared me for something that was to happen to me.
Having watched carers over the last few months, I really find it hard to watch, because they really do not get the support they need, yet they are so dedicated to the job in hand.
I am now involved with the Living With Dementia Working Group which is based at Gordon House in London, and we are trying to find ways of helping People with Dementia and their carers, where possible. This is going to be a long process but god willing we will succeed, in helping those who need it. I do not know how much time I have to work with, but you have all inspired me to push on with this and all I can say is thank you. You have given me something to tangable to focus.

Many thanks for this.

Very Best Wishes

Ken

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Ken

May God give you many years of work to come. Thank you for all your efforts. God bless you both.

Love,

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi again,

Thank you for that but I have gained a lot of experience from yourself and all the other carers on this website and without your knowledge and support I would not have known where to start.

Best Wishes

Ken

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
Hello KenC. Thank you for being brave and caring enough to post. I always try to read your postings, because I want to try and understand how someone with this illness thinks. (I hope that is an ok reason to you) I know or have come to see that everyone is affected in different ways. But I try to understand how it must be for my wife and try to make the right moves / decissions that will get her through the day. (Not always as happy as I would like.) Again thank you for posting and the good work that you do and I can only wish you "the best".
cris

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Ken

Thank you very much for all you do for others, without people as caring and willing, as you, awareness would not be as far along the road as it is to-day. We would all, still be in the dark ages

Thank you, well done and I hope you have many more years to continue with the many great things you are acheiving. I admire you for what you are doing.

Alfjess

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Thank you

Ken,
I have just read your posts. Thank you for your kind words, they have "lifted" me
and I needed that. You are an inspiration to me.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxregards Sunny.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
ken, I just don't know how you do it. You are fighting your own battle and helping us carers fight as well. You are one in a million. Social Services need to listen to you.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi all,
I am just extremely lucky to be able to do this, it is very hard at times, but then so is being a carer. But I feel that I need to help others as long as I can, because there is not a lot of support from outside the Society.
I only hope I can do it for another few years, as this is only my first year doing this, but I have achieved quite a lot in that time. Without my wife, Janice's support none of this would have been possible.

Best Wishes To you all

Ken