Carers!

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Hi everyone. Just looking for help and advice please. At my wits end! Mum has carers in 3 times a day. Her regular carers have all resigned due to rubbish pay and conditions.
I have had to dash round to mums tonight to give her tablets as she needs to have her tablets by a certain time. I am also going round in the morning to give her shower and tables as they can't get a carer there until 2 hours after her normal visit time.
Not my mums fault so don't mind. But I feel I need to complain to someone higher up!?..
Any thoughts anyone please
Thanks

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Most of us have faced situations like this, so I'm sure we can appreciate the situation you have been placed in. Thank goodness that your mother has you nearby; think of the ones who have no one to pick up the slack.

But I did want to say that I have nothing but praise for the selfless people who take on the inexpressibly difficult tasks of caring for elderly people who are not their own relatives. I will do *any*thing necessary to make sure my mother has a comfortable end period of her life. I go sleepless sometimes on nights I have to go off to work; I do laundry for her that is maybe 3 x the amount of laundry I myself produce; I cook the blandest possible food for us to share with her, so she does not feel singled out; I go to her doctor with her; I finish up her toileting for her because she can no longer understand personal hygiene. My sisters don't want to do this work. Yet they think nothing of having the carers do this. For a pittance - a *real* pittance.

Until we all band together and either take care of our parents ourselves - fully, unconditionally - or else are willing to pay sufficient taxes so that the care workers can earn a respectable professional wage, this is the situation we are all in, no matter where we live.

Your mother is lucky you are there. I'm sure they'll get it straightened out. Maybe hiring someone privately till then is what needs to happen . . . .

My hat is totally off to the carers who come in here. They have saved my life quite literally and my mother loves them for their quiet care of her. I should add that the system in the US is significantly different from the system in the UK. Here, unless one *cannot* afford assistance, one is expected to take on the family member or else the member is under a very limited funding or a sub-par care home. My mother is self-funded; I choose the carers who come in from the cluster of ones the service offers to us.

Last edited:

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Maldives,

Who was it that arranged for the carers in the first place? If, as I suspect, it was the SW Department then they are the ones you need to contact regarding this. They have the ability to access emergency carers or even ask the district nurses to step in and cover the medication until new carers are put in place.

Whilst I know you won't leave your mum stranded and you will step in, I wouldn't go volunteering this to the SW when you contact them. If they know you are there as the back-stop then they might not give this the priority that it needs, if you get my meaning. It is concerning when this happens especially when there is medications involved. You might manage to do without a bath for a couple of days but its not the same where medications are concerned. It makes you wonder who would have even noticed your mum's plight if you were not around doesn't it.

I hope you get things sorted asap and rattle a few chains in the process.

Fiona

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Hi
I am so sorry as I have just seen the replies.
I am happy to dash round and help my mum out but there are somedays when I can't get there. I do have total admiration for the carers as the money and conditions are not perfect. She was so lucky to have some wonderful ladies. I spend from 9.30-3.00 with my mum for 3 days a week. I stay overnight every week for a night . Me or my sisters do lunch for mum every day of te week. We just want to know for a short space of time my mum is being looked after and we get a few moments break.
I have had a meeting with the new care manager and I have to say I am happy with her response . I am keeping everything crossed that she is not giving me a lad of rubbish like previous managers.

That's so much again