1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. byrnedjp

byrnedjp Registered User

Mar 21, 2013
    London
    Well Carers Week is just about over - never heard from a soul - not one ...........

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    I've had a couple of e-mails from people I've not heard from for a while and out of the blue the youngest and his partner drove 150 miles to stay over Saturday night, coincidence or subliminal suggestion who knows. Even though no one got in touch it is a reminder that we're still here doing it.
    K

3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Carers Week is not very well advertised. Unless you are a carer, you probably don't know about it.

4. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Errrr no....

5. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    To be fair BBC radio has had loads about it on all week. We generally have radio 2 on (as my wife seems to like it) and it's been all over the station like a rash. I don't know about other stations local or national but the coverage on radio 2 has been massive, not just people with AZ but sometimes quite young children careering for parent and siblings it's been a real eye opener. I've googled it and according to the RAJAR figures radio 2 has 15 million listeners 50% more than its nearest rival (radio 4) no doubt it's been covered by other stations too and with the ads on TV I've seen the awareness message loads of times in the past week.
    I'm with the idea of raising awareness slowly, punching people in the face with message has been the subject of debate and thought to be counter productive.
    K

6. Not so Rosy

Not so Rosy Registered User

Nov 30, 2013
    LBC covered it but tbh I think those not in the know think it means doing a bit of shopping or housework for those in need.

Even that Dementiaville programme never showed the washing, toileting, hoisting, feeding and safety/wandering issues. One could almost think the truth is never shown as the public might wake up to a massive care time bomb that is about to happen.

7. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    The government is perfectly aware of the "time bomb" they're also aware that this (or any other government, no politics intended) can't find the money available to deal with the whole cost of care for the aged and infirmed.
    My parents (and their siblings) looked after my grandparents for years at no cost to the state, agreed it wasn't for as long as it might be now but time has moved on.
    I can only say to the OP as I did earlier I got a bit of a reaction, but that maybe a coincidence, time will tell.
    K

8. Not so Rosy

Not so Rosy Registered User

Nov 30, 2013
    Sorry I was being slightly tongue in cheek there.

My Mum became ill in her late 60's so the family home was sold to provide for her care.
    That house is now up for sale for £1.5 mill. They downsized to a much smaller house and again that is now being sold to probably pay for my Dads care, he currently gets CHC but I doubt for much longer.

I have also been a free carer for my Mum, my Husband and my Dad for the last 20 years. Only Dad is left now. I can't say I totally regret it, but do get scared for my financial future at 52. Life looks a bit grim.

9. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    I read about it here, didn't hear anything on Classic fm or from various caring organisations to which I belong.

10. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    #10 Pickles53, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    Our local health centre organised an event to help publicise services for carers and it does seem they are trying harder to identify and support carers locally. The county council is also now funding several projects to help carers navigate their way through the maze of different organisations which provide support.

It's a start, but only time will tell if it's effective and really makes a difference to the daily lives of carers and their loved ones.

11. byrnedjp

byrnedjp Registered User

Mar 21, 2013
    London
    Lets face it - it could be carers year....wouldnt make any difference