carers grant

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Hi
Mum has had a reassessment due to her deteriorating today.
The Direct payments are being re assessed and more help on the way (hopefully) and the social worker has indicated that I am eligible for a carers one off grant and also due to having low savings may be able to get a carers personal budget. Does anyone know any details of these please.
Many thanks

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@Marnie63 was talking about financial
Pressures the other day. Would this be any help to her. More info might be useful to members facing these problems.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks Marion! The big problem is that it all very much depends on where you live, which is very, very unfair. But, when I finally get that visit from SS to reassess mum's needs, I plan to press them quite hard on my respite options. I have to make sure before they come here that they know I want another Carer's Assessment, as well as reviewing mum. It's been two months now since I requested that. It could be down to holiday season, or maybe they are so stretched that they are focusing on the more urgent cases (people living alone?). To be fair to them, they paid me a lump sum about a month ago to tide me over until they can do the proper review.

I know that I am entitled to three hours' a week respite (hah!) and I take that as a financial payment, though they pay just over £14 an hour for that and the agency charges £20/£23, depending on which day it is! So that's very unfair to start with. I get £42.60 a week for three hours' break, but I have to pay the agency £60 minimum for three hours on weekdays! Then I know that I'm entitled to 4 weeks' respite, where they will pay for mum to go into a home, two weeks at a time. But I don't want that, nor is it appropriate for mum, who is at a pretty advanced stage, and could very well decline massively with a change of environment. I am going to ask if I can have those 4 weeks as a direct payment, maybe not all in one go, so that I can put it towards days out. It still won't go that far, as a day out costs me £200 in agency fees. This is of course assuming they agree to this!

Unfortunately, if they means test me for any support as a carer I will fail. But the bottom line is my income is only £64.60 a week and I get three hours' break a week, some of which is not even funded by SS! What a dire, dire position to be in, considering I've worked full time for around 35 years prior to this!!!

It all very much depends on which SW you get too, I've found some to be very sympathetic to our situation, and others a little 'colder', though all have helped, I have to say.

Of course this could all be over soon, and I'll have all the time in the world to go out. But it's not over yet.

Sorry to hijack your thread for a moan Lacey!

Last edited: