Carers entiled to free travel cards ?


Registered User
Nov 18, 2006
Just a thought, should carers not be entiled to free travel cards ?
In this area dad is entiled to a free bus travel card, which also entiles him to concessionary travel on the subway & railway, but i'm only entiled to one if i'm traveling with him, I can't use it if i'm alone, not even if it's getting shopping for him, or getting his perscriptions, etc.

When he does come out of hospital, he may be living at home with me, so help with travel costs, or free travel, would help. I'm also looking after my housebound brother, so I have to get his shopping as well.


Registered User
Dec 19, 2006
West Country
A different concession site....

I didn't know whether members know of this but I will post anyway......

This is a national card that can be used to verify that the holder is entitled to one free ticket for a person accompanying them to the cinema.

To apply for the card, you will need to meet one or more of the following criteria:

a) Be in receipt of the disability living allowance or attendance allowance.
b) Be a registered blind person.
c) Be a holder of a disabled person's rail card.

The card is valid for 3 years from the date of issue.

Application forms are available from cinemas across the UK supporting this card. Alternatively, Download a form to print out and fill in.

A processing fee of five pounds is chargeable per card. This is to be sent along with the completed application.

There is a list of participating Cinemas on their website!

Also most places in the uk now have a disabilties team within their council and they also give cards, for various help to enable carers / families to enjoy time out with their parent / partner......