1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

carers direct payment

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by macatac, Feb 5, 2015.

1. macatac

macatac Registered User

Nov 9, 2014
    North Wales
    As anyone here had a carer assessment, and been offered a direct payment in order to purchase something for their self in order to make their life / caring role more bearable ?

2. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    I attend monthly meeting of the Carers's Association. I had one of these gifts about 4 years ago. They were offering to put names forward for a gift from a pot of money held for carers. I can't remember exactely how much it was but think it was about £200.

It had to be used to benefit the carer.

3. witsend~1

witsend~1 Registered User

Jul 16, 2014
    North Lincolnshire
    I had an assessment last year and was given the payment which I put toward a new laptop. Hope this helps

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Where I live it used to be a £300 a year one-off direct payment which has been reduced to £150 every two years (or £300 if used on white goods like washing machine). I used the first payment on a deep clean of the flat and the second lot now on part-payment of a Vitalise holiday. Can't use it on a washing machine as that's the landlord's responsibility. You need to say in advance exactly what you want it for and provide a receipt. Then it takes ages for the money to be paid to you. To be honest, the whole procedure is a tad humiliating, as if you were asking for a handout and they need a receipt as "some carers abuse the system". Abuse the system? I am saving the state thousands a year in care money, if anyone is abusing the system, it's the government for not paying me a proper wage!
    Sorry, off my soap box now. Go for everything you are offered, it's little enough.

5. macatac

macatac Registered User

Nov 9, 2014
    North Wales
    #5 macatac, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
    Thank you. Beate, I know where your coming from and I agree whole heartedly.

6. Pete R

Pete R Registered User

Jul 26, 2014
    Staffs
    :)Is there such thing as "Hear, Hear" smiley?:)

7. MReader

MReader Registered User

Apr 30, 2011
    essex
    I have a monthly direct payment - made into a special bank account I had to open for this purpose alone.
    It goes toward paying for a day centre of my choosing for my husband rather than one that Social Services nominate.
    I have to keep all the receipts & bank statements as it can be audited at any time.

I was unaware that there could possibly be a one-off payment also.

8. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Yes, the two are different things. What I get is a "one-off" direct payment and you can get it even if you don't use direct payments to pay for care. This one's actually for you as the carer to do something nice with.