Carers' Club

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
We have recently been recognised by the Alzheimers Society as a Dementia Friendly Village and as part of our ongoing work I am seeking to establish a local Carers' Club. I have taken the lead from my positive experience of Talking Point where much comfort has been gained from exchanging experiences and seeking advice etc.
The Club is aimed at family members who are in a caring role and who would like to meet informally and confidentially away from their partners to share knowledge, understanding and experiences, provide mutual help and perhaps seek professional guidance when needed. We may also arrange visits with our partners to Memory Cafes and the like. There are three of us at present and with the sensitive and confidential help of our local doctors' Surgery we are hoping to reach out to other local carers to join in with us.
If anyone has a good experience of doing something similar I would like to hear and learn from them.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
That's a great idea Peirwalker. I go to a similar group run by the local carers support centre where we always have time to talk and offer support or advise to each other. It can be emotional and we can share a laugh occasionally, a bit like TP but with coffee and cake. We also occasionally have visits from NHS to Fire Service and mindfulness. You may find a centre on http://carers.org who can advise and / or help you publicise your group.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think it is a wonderful idea and I wish you every success.

I must ask, though. Who will be looking after the people with dementia while their carers are at the club?
The people most in need of this sort of thing are the ones who cannot leave their relative alone.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
We have recently been recognised by the Alzheimers Society as a Dementia Friendly Village and as part of our ongoing work I am seeking to establish a local Carers' Club. I have taken the lead from my positive experience of Talking Point where much comfort has been gained from exchanging experiences and seeking advice etc.
The Club is aimed at family members who are in a caring role and who would like to meet informally and confidentially away from their partners to share knowledge, understanding and experiences, provide mutual help and perhaps seek professional guidance when needed. We may also arrange visits with our partners to Memory Cafes and the like. There are three of us at present and with the sensitive and confidential help of our local doctors' Surgery we are hoping to reach out to other local carers to join in with us.
If anyone has a good experience of doing something similar I would like to hear and learn from them.
Hi, I go to a Carers club which is organised by our local memory matters clinic I have found this very helpful and Carers can dip in and out as they wish, it’s on for two hours each Monday but you don’t have to stay for the whole two hours. One member of staff from the clinic comes each week so they can chase up appointments and information for Carers who are struggling to find their way through the complicated system that we all find our selves up against. It can be a problem as Canary has said for people who can’t leave their PWD but the Carers that attend often come up with ideas that can help with the day to day problems we all face so the CPN’s that come can use this advice when they are visiting families. We are are at different stages with this journey and often there is someone there who has already experienced the issues so they are able to help, and a lot of new people have said they are glad they came because of the practical advice they have got and also it’s sometimes good to off load some of your worries. I wouldn’t miss it for the world and have made really good friends there. Good luck with your venture x

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
I think it is a wonderful idea and I wish you every success.

I must ask, though. Who will be looking after the people with dementia while their carers are at the club?
The people most in need of this sort of thing are the ones who cannot leave their relative alone.
Thank you. I agree that this will be an issue where partners are at an advanced stage and one for us to resolve together. I hope we may be able to tap into the community, and there is a local professional Carer who could help or give us connections. We'll see.

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
That's a great idea Peirwalker. I go to a similar group run by the local carers support centre where we always have time to talk and offer support or advise to each other. It can be emotional and we can share a laugh occasionally, a bit like TP but with coffee and cake. We also occasionally have visits from NHS to Fire Service and mindfulness. You may find a centre on http://carers.org who can advise and / or help you publicise your group.
Thank you for the link which I will make use of, either to work alongside us and / or maybe to provide a 'sitting service' allowing members to meet together.

Pierwalker

Apr 1, 2017
Hi, I go to a Carers club which is organised by our local memory matters clinic I have found this very helpful and Carers can dip in and out as they wish, it’s on for two hours each Monday but you don’t have to stay for the whole two hours. One member of staff from the clinic comes each week so they can chase up appointments and information for Carers who are struggling to find their way through the complicated system that we all find our selves up against. It can be a problem as Canary has said for people who can’t leave their PWD but the Carers that attend often come up with ideas that can help with the day to day problems we all face so the CPN’s that come can use this advice when they are visiting families. We are are at different stages with this journey and often there is someone there who has already experienced the issues so they are able to help, and a lot of new people have said they are glad they came because of the practical advice they have got and also it’s sometimes good to off load some of your worries. I wouldn’t miss it for the world and have made really good friends there. Good luck with your venture x
Thank you for your encouragement.

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
Thank you. I agree that this will be an issue where partners are at an advanced stage and one for us to resolve together. I hope we may be able to tap into the community, and there is a local professional Carer who could help or give us connections. We'll see.
For a few months, a couple of years ago, I was able to attend a Carer's Group because it happened to coincide with OH's day care. I soon found that I was the only full time carer in the group, the others had their PWD in residential care, shared care with siblings, had an early stage PWD who could be safely at home. or had paid for carers at home. When there was discussion about what we would like as topics for the sessions, their choices were mainly legal/financal matters, travel Insurance, etc. or treats for themselves - aromatherapy, massages, theatre visits, whereas I was looking for support and ideas about carer burnout and day to day difficulties.

I am not saying that there is no merit in such groups but it is inevitable that their focus will be on the needs of those who can attend, while the needs of the 24/7 carers will not be addressed.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, a beautiful idea and it would be so good to address the needs of those whose loved ones are at an advanced stage too. It would have cost me £50 each time, if not more, to attend our local carer group - having to get in paid help. Who can help us?
warmest, Geraldinex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet