Carers benefit

Manu

Jun 2, 2011
Lancashire
My mother has now been moved into sheltered accommodation with 24 hour support.
I am still very active i her caring and looking after her, do I now have to notify the DWP, even though I am still her main carer??

Thanks.:confused:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If your mother is still in receipt of the qualifying benefit (most likely Attendance Allowance) you are still entitled to Carer's Allowance.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
My mother has now been moved into sheltered accommodation with 24 hour support.
I am still very active i her caring and looking after her, do I now have to notify the DWP, even though I am still her main carer??

Thanks.:confused:

As far as I'm aware, so long as your mother still gets the "qualifying benefit" - probably Attendance Allowance - then you don't, unless your mum either goes into hospital or on holiday. If she went into full time residential care and was state funded, then the AA would stop. However, I'm not sure whether in that case it just stops being paid rather than the person losing elligibility. If it just stops being paid then they might have what's called underlying entitlement - in which case, someone could base a claim for Carer's Allowance on it.

You certainly don't have to live with someone to be elligible for CA. And I don;t think sheltered accomodation counts as full time residential care anyway.

You could always ask the Attendance Allowance unit for guidance on 0345 605 6055. They will probably know about how it would affect CA as well, if they don't then there's a number of the annual notice about CA they send every year.

I think though that moving into sheltered accomodation isn't a notifiable change in circumstance, although the change of address needs to be of course.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
The two main criteria are is the caree receiving attendance allowance, is the carer caring for 30 or more hours per week is what the SW told me this morning....

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
no she obviously didn't know what she was talking about, just remembered she was from the finance office, not the SW (sorry SW for painting you in a bad light, you're a lovely lady really)