Carer's assssment, what to ask for?

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I have a Carer's Assessment today, and the form says What help do you need?

With the help of my family we are in the process of getting good help. It has been an uphill journey, introducing the right people, people who my husband will accept, albeit still very reluctantly.

So, what I really need is MONEY to fund this, not some package where complete strangers will invade my husband's space and cause him a lot of confusion and upset!

Of course, this isn't going to be an option is it?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I have a Carer's Assessment today, and the form says What help do you need?

With the help of my family we are in the process of getting good help. It has been an uphill journey, introducing the right people, people who my husband will accept, albeit still very reluctantly.

So, what I really need is MONEY to fund this, not some package where complete strangers will invade my husband's space and cause him a lot of confusion and upset!

Of course, this isn't going to be an option is it?

My local authority does something called Direct Payments which enables the carer to buy care in that suits them rather than relying on agencies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Direct payments would be a separate thing from the carers assessment I would think. I know that I live in Scotland and things are different here. Having said that I use direct payments to employ the same two carers who provide my husband's support. The carers assessment I had focused more on my needs. I found I didn't get a lot from it as I didn't want support groups etc for myself. I was, however, directed to Alzheiemr Scotland through this assessment. My husband was offered a place at their day centre and as a result I got more time for myself. I pay for the day he's there as all of the SW money goes towards the direct payments for the carers.

There is a Factsheet in Community Care Assessments. If you read through It you'll find a section on Carers Assessment.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=131

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
The appropriate form was filled out with great care and kindness, and I didn't feel hurried at all. I'll be sent a copy of the finished form, and can then suggest alterations or additions. So whatever the outcome, the appointment was reassuring and positive.

Barlemo

Apr 23, 2012
Hi, did they say how long it would take to get the completed form back to you? I had an assessment at the end of February, which I too found a positive experience and was told the completed form would be sent back to me for review and signature, but have heard nothing since. Just wondering if I need to chase.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I had a proper carer's assessment done recently, after several years when it somehow got overlooked or fudged, and was pleasantly surprised at how helpful it was.

The report did actually take a long time to come through though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joins