Carer's Assessmnt .... what's the point?

Annypurple

May 6, 2015
Yes the weekend away has been cut here in Kent, as I found out and the £200 has been cut too but the lady who visited is lovely and keeps in touch via E mails too

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Sorry the help has been stopped! It seems LAs are cutting, but at the same time the Care Act has raised expectations!

Ottoman68

Dec 25, 2015
London
Carer's Assessment - what's the point?

Scarlet 123

Thank you for your response. My husband has well in excess of the £23,250 limit for the Carer's Allowance and in my London borough that is a total cut-off

I spent a large part of yesterday filling in the dreaded Attendance Allowance and attached a PoA as he certainly would not have been able to complete it. He does not accept his Alzheimer's diagnosis though he knows that his memory is shot and he is unable to plan anything. The DWP sent extra copies of the AA pack at my request so I was able to keep a copy of my submission.

All dates of diagnosis were included (from GP to blood tests to Memory Clinic to MRI).

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Scarlet 123

Thank you for your response. My husband has well in excess of the £23,250 limit for the Carer's Allowance and in my London borough that is a total cut-off

I spent a large part of yesterday filling in the dreaded Attendance Allowance and attached a PoA as he certainly would not have been able to complete it. He does not accept his Alzheimer's diagnosis though he knows that his memory is shot and he is unable to plan anything. The DWP sent extra copies of the AA pack at my request so I was able to keep a copy of my submission.

All dates of diagnosis were included (from GP to blood tests to Memory Clinic to MRI).

I hope the attendance allowance goes through smoothly. It did for my husband and I completed the forms myself. I wrote to them recently to say his condition had deteriorated and I thought he might qualify for the larger amount. They sent a form which I completed and again it has been accepted and the amount raised to the higher amount without any problems.
Once you have attendance allowance you can ask for a reduction in council tax or whatever it's called now.
Best wishes with it all.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Ottoman68

Dec 25, 2015
London
Carer's Assessment - what's the point?

Thanks Trisha 4. I'd never applied for any benefits before and the form was somewhat daunting. Age Concern helps some people with the best wording, but not in my area sadly.

Appreciate that it's possible to up the amount if the situation gets worse, and to challenge the decision if it is not positive in the first place.

I did my best to be as accurate and comprehensive as possible and that is all I could do!

Understand that it might take weeks to be decided so have filed the papers away and will await the outcome.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thanks Trisha 4. I'd never applied for any benefits before and the form was somewhat daunting. Age Concern helps some people with the best wording, but not in my area sadly.

Appreciate that it's possible to up the amount if the situation gets worse, and to challenge the decision if it is not positive in the first place.

I did my best to be as accurate and comprehensive as possible and that is all I could do!

Understand that it might take weeks to be decided so have filed the papers away and will await the outcome.

Last year I did voluntary work for CAB, as I'm probably the only person on the planet who likes filling in forms. ;) I did more AA forms than anything else, and I know they contain a lot of questions that appear to be repetitive. The advice I gave claimants was to always keep a copy, and if you haven't heard after 3 weeks, there's no harm in telephoning and asking for the status of the application.

If you need any help at all, with this, or anything else, please do not hesitate to PM me, as I'm only too happy to help. :)

liz56

Feb 15, 2015
North Somerset
It was the same for us - became obvious straight away that anything offered by our local authority was going to cost £20 per hour. We didn't bother to fill out the (very long!) forms to start the assessment. To be honest I was too worn out to bother ! We paid a local ch for one day a weeks daycare, and paid an agency for one day care at home . Both came to far less than the local authority offer and set up very easily.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
It was the same for us - became obvious straight away that anything offered by our local authority was going to cost £20 per hour. We didn't bother to fill out the (very long!) forms to start the assessment. To be honest I was too worn out to bother ! We paid a local ch for one day a weeks daycare, and paid an agency for one day care at home . Both came to far less than the local authority offer and set up very easily.

I think the post code lottery, of available care, and whether it's free or not, annoys me more than anything else. :mad::mad::mad: If you have Alzheimer's, and your spouse is exhausted, it shouldn't matter whether you live in Cambridge, Cardiff or Cleethorpes, but it does. :(

Every LA only has a "cake" of care available to cut, and if someone's getting a whopping big slice, and others aren't even getting crumbs, it's so unfair. And the size of the cake varies from LA to LA as well, depending on where you live.