Carer's Assessment

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
I'm just waiting on the financial assessment being looked at to find out how much we will have to pay towards 1/2 an hour for a few days to help dressing and bathing on a morning and a daycare ,once a week .Across the board all applicants if eligible are given £12.55 and then you make it up or are in a position where it will be paid for you
Additional to this I myself am offered 28 days respite per year and you have optional ways to use it .
Respite for my hubby at a small cost of £14 .50 per night or it can be used towards another daycare ,or to pay a sitter while I have a few hours off .

It sounds wonderful let's hope it works out that way ,I will keep in touch .

By the way ,I haven't given any financial information about myself only joint account with hubby's pensions in .

But is this a Carer's Assessment for you or a Needs Assessment for the person who has dementia? If it was a Carer's Assessment then fingers crossed for you.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
Carer's assessments don't seem to be much about the carer but more about the assets of the cared for. Basically if you are self-funded the carer is 'supposed' to be reliant on those assets. But could I pay myself a wage from my parent's assets....no! So I have to 'live' on £60 per week.

I don't mind the lack of money (I am frugal to the point of putting monks to shame) but I would like to get out the house occasionally. My health may be getting worse (don't go to the doctor) and I struggle to even get to the dentist.

So even if I go through a carer's assessment I may not get any help because 'we' are self-funded. The problem seems to be that there is no statutory help for carer's but it is left to the discretion of cash strapped councils....the same councils who have lots of more important things to spend their money on.

Aren't there regulations on how long an employee can work, their entitlement to breaks, minimum wage etc etc? But a carer can be on duty 24-7 365 days and they are entitled to nothing....perhaps a cinema ticket that they cannot use.

I suppose I made the decision to care for my parents....if I asked for help from siblings they would look at me and say "You made your own bed...". But a little minimum statutory help wouldn't go amiss. Like saying, you are valued....you aren't worthless. Instead I'm left trying to look brave....wondering when I will snap like a dry twig that has been bent too far.

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
I had a carers assessment basically as we are self funding wouldn't get help towards respite or care which I knew anyway said we could get a sitter for 3 hours a week. Thankfully I have a fantastic daughter who is around at the moment as she's studying from home but that hopefully will change from September- meaning job for her maybe away from home so not so good for me. My oh goes to daycare once a week ATM at £35 a day a blissful day for me. The lovely lady who came to do the assessment said spend your money then get in touch with ss- I might get a small sum to go and do something I enjoy so that's a bonus!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
I too am amazed at the difference between LAs. Post code lottery. I was, probably still will, have my husband's care needs assessed and a carers assessment for me but I have already been told I will get nothing as he would be self funding. Our local authority used to have a good reputation for Social Care but a couple of years ago even withdrew funding for a sitting service which now costs £15 per hour. The SW at the hospital and the hospital dementia worker said how switched on I was, and well sorted with the sitter and day care I had arranged (£40 per day for day care which he goes to twice per week) and that was the last I heard from them. The SW did say in her personal view all carers should get carers allowance however much they may earn if they provide a lot of care, and so many hours child care is provided free why not adult care? What we do in the world of work would be totally illegal - the hours, no break, the physical aspects, lack of training and support. Of course they are our loved ones but even so a little help would go a long way - seems very all or nothing. Rant over - sorry - up twice in the night and now the shower battle commences.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
I was signposted by (don't)Carers towards a Day Centre they recommended at £53 for 5 hours. Tuesday was my husbands 4th visit. While waiting for him to return home on their transport bus I received a call from the Police saying the centre had reported him missing 90 minutes earlier. They sent 2 officers to my house and said others were also searching. Could they also put his details on social media. My husband eventually returned home 2 hours later unable to tell us where he had been or how he got back here. A while later 2 women from the centre knocked on the door and said the police had told them he was back. I invited them in but one said irritably "no we won't come in we have been tramping through fields looking for him. Someone will ring you tomorrow". Should I be surprised that no one has phoned or called to tell he what happened. Shameful. Needless to say I will be cancelling further attendances. Now have to try and find another suitable one. I hate the seething, disillusioned person I have become

sheilapeter

Jan 14, 2017
I've felt for some time that I'm on my own with this, no support from the family, no support from the Memory Clinic as we've been discharged from that service and referred back to our GP, now I know for sure. Well, I'll take care of us and woe betide anyone that tries to interfere or give me 'advice' in the future.

Hi Benjamin,
I know exactly how you feel.
I have so many people telling me what they are going to do for me and my wife and nothing ever happens.
She is at the point of going into a care home and nobody is actually helping in any concrete way.
I suppose that if you are going to pay for care they think you can just get on with it yourself.
I now treat any offers of "help" with a big pinch of salt

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Sheesh........... I'm seeing red on your behalf. It's none of their bleeping business what the Attendance Allowance is spent on.

Yes, I am totally alone with it all too. Absolutely no one to help at all and even the services we could pay for such as domiciliary care are not available.... no carers. It's a 24/7 lock down except the 3 days daycare my mum pays £150 for. But I turn into a pumpkin if I am not back by 4pm. So forget going away or out in the evening.......

Folks if anyone is willing to pm me their local authorities and basic details of support offered or not. I'll try use my exile time constructively.... seeing as I am SUPPOSED to be a journalist...... grrrr. Total confidentiality of course......

I have a Carers assessment, with carer break (??) next week, but after their lack of interest & out of date assessment for mum, I'm not expecting much

I'm totally frustrated at the lack of joined up "support", or rather the lack of it, so have been trying to work out a way of highlighting the mess. I'd be interested in how or where you might be thinking of showing your research :)

There is an inequality in the way Carers are assessed. If you are living in the same property, but not a partner, then your needs should be assessed independently of the caree, if the same rules as JSA, Income Support were applied, then the financial details of the caree would be irrelevant.

Duty of care to the carer would be nice. :rolleyes:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
This has been a very interesting thread. What a variation of services and costs. I had a carers assessment this morning for exactly the same respite as John had a year ago. It seems superfluous to go on answering the same questions when there is no cure for dementia so he is not likely to have suddenly got better.

However we all play nice and go through the question and answer sessions in the hope of some improvement to our own lives.

We can only hope!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
This thread just about sums up all of the reasons I have not asked for a carers' assessment as yet. I would sooner sort things out myself than be forced to trawl through this prying session and then be told to get on with it myself or be handed 'perks' that are totally unusable because of our circumstances.

Last year, when I spoke to a social worker attending one of the groups we go to, who was primarily there to encourage everyone to request a carers' assessment, I ended up providing HIM with places to signpost folk to, so inadequate were his options :)

The only possible benefit I might ever gain from an assessment is possible help with respite - but I am in no rush for that as I truly believe my husband would come out worse than when he went in. He would need to be much further into this disease before I contemplate such a thing - though I accept that there will be a time when I will welcome it.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
God you poor people. I seem to live in a great London borough concerning social care. We get all kinds of things like daily Day Care Centre with transport, sitting service hours and now a morning carer. So far the lunch in the Day Centre is the only thing we pay for. The council is going to introduce charges for home care soon, but on a staggered basis depending on savings and income etc. OH will probably be under the threshold but if not I don't expect much of a bill. I think they are also putting a charge cap in place of £250 a week or something (still a lot). Mind, that's for home care - respite in a care home already carries a weekly charge but it's manageable - £130 or something. We've also had the flat kitted out with grab rails etc for free.

Last edited:

lincs lad

Oct 13, 2014
drained mentally and physically

Sheesh........... I'm seeing red on your behalf. It's none of their bleeping business what the Attendance Allowance is spent on.

Yes, I am totally alone with it all too. Absolutely no one to help at all and even the services we could pay for such as domiciliary care are not available.... no carers. It's a 24/7 lock down except the 3 days daycare my mum pays £150 for. But I turn into a pumpkin if I am not back by 4pm. So forget going away or out in the evening.......

Folks if anyone is willing to pm me their local authorities and basic details of support offered or not. I'll try use my exile time constructively.... seeing as I am SUPPOSED to be a journalist...... grrrr. Total confidentiality of course......

need time

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
But is this a Carer's Assessment for you or a Needs Assessment for the person who has dementia? If it was a Carer's Assessment then fingers crossed for you.

Yes it was a carers assessment from social services, and pleased to say I have 28 days I can use to my best usage.Either extra day care ,a sitter or respite in a care home .

Also 1 day a week daycare.

While the social worker was visiting he suggested help with dressing and showering from a choice of care agencies and before the day was out it was all arranged.I am pleased to say although I can do the job myself like we all can it has lightened the load and the future looks a little brighter at this moment in time .Yes it will need paying for but we will cross that bridge when we are informed .

Apparently it costs £14,30 per night stay in respite using one allowance per night that has to be organised to ensure available accommodation.

Hope that's clear ,I'm not very good at this xx

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
Hello

I am wondering following this post are people confused with a carers assessment and an assessment for the person you are caring for? I live in Leicestershire and have had a carers assessment I was offered the £250 one-off payment but chose to have a fuller assessment and get a regular payment each month so I can have breaks go to the gym etc there was no financial assessment and I do not have to make a contribution? Is this different in other areas the carers act was supposed to ensure carers get the support they need it is important to state that your emotional and physical health is impacted by caring.

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
I am wondering following this post are people confused with a carers assessment and an assessment for the person you are caring for? I live in Leicestershire and have had a carers assessment I was offered the £250 one-off payment but chose to have a fuller assessment and get a regular payment each month so I can have breaks go to the gym etc there was no financial assessment and I do not have to make a contribution? Is this different in other areas the carers act was supposed to ensure carers get the support they need it is important to state that your emotional and physical health is impacted by caring.

There is no charge for daycare or 28 days allowance. Others in my area have opted for a monthly payment to cover a sitter of there choice ,(obviously legitimate).
Also as a carer you get free admission to relevant theatres and named events.
I think it sounds very similar but presented a different way x

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011

It's great you are getting some help but is the person you care for self-funding?

No one is confused if you read the entire thread. Everyone knows what they have to state in the interview. This thread was started as an advisory for someone going for assessment. Then the various responses highlighted what many of us already suspected.

There is huge variation with the vast majority losing out. Including me. I'm considered to be in the highest level of 'support needs' and I get absolutely zilch....

The Carer's Act doesn't ensure anything for carers as I explain near the beginning of the thread. It's vague enough for local authorities to interpret it however they choose. While everyone from government to local authorities are seen as doing "something". Which I believe was intentional.

It's mostly (but not always) a box-ticking exercise.

Last edited:

Caz60

Jul 24, 2014
Lancashire
It's great you are getting some help but is the person you care for self-funding?

No one is confused if you read the entire thread. Everyone knows what they have to state in the interview. This thread was started as an advisory for someone going for assessment. Then the various responses highlighted what many of us already suspected.

There is huge variation with the vast majority losing out. Including me. I'm considered to be in the highest level of 'support needs' and I get absolutely zilch....

The Carer's Act doesn't ensure anything for carers as I explain near the beginning of the thread. It's vague enough for local authorities to interpret it however they choose. While everyone from government to local authorities are seen as doing "something". Which I believe was intentional.

It's mostly (but not always) a box-ticking exercise.

Hi, A financial assessment has been put forward and I am waiting in anticipation as to whether we will be paying ,that's all I know at the moment .x

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Hi, A financial assessment has been put forward and I am waiting in anticipation as to whether we will be paying ,that's all I know at the moment .x

Ooh... best of luck. Please keep us posted as I am trying to build up a picture of the variations around the country.

Diannie

Jun 2, 2015
Further to my above post on 2nd March. I received a telephone call this morning from Adult Social Services/Telecare as follows...."your husband's Consultant has made a referral regarding a tracking device. I am ringing to tell you he is not eligible. He would need to be missing on several occasions and prove he was in danger each time before he could be considered." I queried whether having one as a precaution would be an option. "It doesn't work like that. However if he suffers with falls that would be better because then he could have a Lifeline pendant." I told her he has had a fall and still has difficulty walking. "Ah yes. But it's only happened once. Goodbye".

Penmon79

Oct 24, 2016
North Wales
I get the impression that some are confusing the assessment of the PWD with that of the carer(s)!
As I understand it the PWD is assessed financially with regard to the care that he/she requires or needs. But the carer(s) is assessed only by need for respite provision.
We get 3 hours a week respite with a sitter staying with my M-in-L and also doing a bit of ironing or the like. We also have cover for when either my husband or I have medical appointments. All this is free to us, not my M-in-L.
We also recently received 50% Council Tax relief or discount, whatever it's called because we both care for her full-time.
I hope that this helps

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I had a Carers assessment & carer break assessment rolled in together yesterday. I wasn't expecting much after a total fiasco for mum. ASC attitude to mum was that as she's self funding "she can gaily go ahead and arrange whatever she needs".

I was not impressed at "gaily"

Anyway, my assessment lasted 3 hours, probably so long as I was upset. Mum had flipped 1/2 hour before telling me to "go away, just leave". So I was frustrated, cross & tearful

The lady listened to me. That was major for me. No one listens to the carer. But she did

The outcome for me was amazing, yes it's promises, but if any of it happens, I'm grateful

- Carers grant to spend on things to help me relax, get a break etc
- A mirror grant for mum (!!), to cover additional care visits so it doesn't cost me double to have a break
- a PA for mum to encourage her to join in activities (mum will have to pay £10 - £15 an hour), but ASC will find someone
- a supper club (x 2) that meets once a month for carer & caree, so mum can see others who are not drugged up or vacantly dribbling, so encourage her to join in DC etc

I was also told the GP should have told me to contact ASC on diagnosis & I would have had a face to face meeting to see what they could do to help me to care for mum

The mirror grant for mum & help finding a PA were a welcome surprise. The supper club may be a way to introduce a little time for me. We may meet someone mum gets on with & make new friends :)

I felt I'd been listened to & someone wants to help me to care for mum. Yes, she will pay for the PA, but at least it'll be someone who has knowledge of Alzheimer's so that's a benefit

Apparently, Sussex are working on educating GP surgeries in where to signpost Carers to. I suggested she contact mums GP :eek: