Carers assessment

Tiller Girl

May 14, 2012
So what is actually assessed when you have a carer's assessment ? What are the benefits of having one ? Any downsides to it ?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You tell them about the person you care for, their care and support needs and how you support them. Describe the effect this role has on you and your life. What needs do you have as a direct result of the caring tasks (impact on your wellbeing). How would you like them addressed - what needs to happen?

The benefits are that you might get the help and respite you require. The only downsides I can see is that what you want is not available or you are not classed as needing it. This is why you have to be very detailed and truthful about your caring role and the impact it has on you. Say that your work is suffering or you never get time to yourself. You want to go on that photography course but you can't because you can't leave him alone. That sort of thing.

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
So what is actually assessed when you have a carer's assessment ? What are the benefits of having one ? Any downsides to it ?

A helpful resource for understanding what this is and how it can help you, is Carers UK website.

What is suggest is if you have one , prepare for it, they are assessing the impact on your life. Also I think they might also be assessing whether this impact could fall to them in the future, since overall the local authority have responsibility for care, the buck stops with them.

Expect them to suggest small, simple changes at first. They will always suggest a starting point that they will want you to work through and as appropriate ,eliminate.
Be prepared to think about these and feed back if they are not helpful and the reason, whilst trying to remain practical.

Look on their forum to get ideas and ask for specifics.

Yes I think it is worthwhile and can help you consider simple changes, and alternatives, as a start.

Then you might expect further sessions as things either don't work ,or your loved ones disease progresses.

You need to get started somewhere, so that you don't end up in a crisis without having made a start. and it gets u on their radar, they can also point out local resources and organized stuff like day care, local charity offerings and so on.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
If they, like other agencies, want the person who has AD to be there, it can be very difficult and awkward to talk in front of them. My husband was in denial that anything was wrong, so I found the easiest thing was to type out a Statement, headed "To Whom It May Concern", and detail everything that was wrong with John, and how it impacted on me.

I made loads of copies, and passed one to whoever visited, Social Services, Carers UK etc, saying to John "I'm just explaining your various tablets. Can you come and give me a hand with the coffee darling", and then gave him the job of arranging a dozen biscuits on a plate, which he liked to do, and took him a while.

You need to detail everything and have lots of paragraphs, so it is easy to read. Originally, I tried to be stoic and brave, but that got me nowhere, so I would constantly check what I'd written, and add new things when necessary. That way, the person reading it has everything listed, and you don't upset the person with AD.

I also did this when we visited the Memory Clinic, GP etc.

I hope it works out well for you. xxx

Aragorn

Jul 23, 2015
Carer's assessment

As Beate says, it should assess *your* needs. I spent quite a while filling in the form online, but was disappointed with the result initially - it was essentially a list of organisations (often voluntary) and phone numbers - most of which I knew. However, out of the blue, I had a phone call and after some clarification, got an award to be spent on ME. OTOH, I'm not sure how I'm going to spend it unless I can find some way of organising care for the OH...

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't underplay the facts and the impact it's having on you, the better you seem to be coping the less (if anything) they'll offer you.
At my wife's last memory assessment I was asked if I wanted one, I asked "is there any point", the nurse just shook her head a bit and mouthed "no". The letter sent to the doctor says I "declined" the assessment.
If you are in real need then you may get help, as suggested put it in writing and hand it over so you don't have to say it out loud.
K

thebell

May 31, 2015
Assessment

I waited a few months for an assessment and in the end they sent me a form to fill in instead of a face to face discussion. To me it wasnt worth the paper it was written on as most of it was yes or no answers. You could not explain the situation properly. I was told i was entitled to the personal budget and that was it, no letter of explanation as to what else they could provide for me, it seems to me that i will have to cope with everything else. My OH does not like to spend money so paying for external help is out of the question as is joining any day clubs etc, he also does not like the idea of other people in the house. Had someone round yesterday about the befriending service and he has more or less ruled that out as well.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
TG, as Scarlett says you really need to think what you want and how your life has been impacted on by having to step into a caring role. My OH needs 24/7 supervision. When I had my assessment I had been doing an art class I really enjoyed and also going to Aquafit to help with knee mobility, to carry on with those I needed 5 hours of care for OH. I work from home and find OH can get very restless in the afternoons so needed for him to be taken out or go to day care, shopping etc. etc. ask for more than you need and hopefully you will get enough to give you the breaks you want. Good luck. I know I am lucky as my husband is very tolerant of having carers here. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've done one a week ago today. It was technically a re-assessment but they gave me a self-assessment form which is apparently a new thing here. I wrote everything down, then the social worker sat down with me for 90 minutes and we went through it, he asked loads more questions and we discussed how to achieve the very specific goals I had set out. My advice is to write everything down that supports your requests, your physical and emotional state of mind, how well do you sleep, what are you missing out on etc. write down everything you need help with even if they might not be able to help with it, just for a round picture of your needs. He did want to see OH which I had no problem with, but I told him he would get no sense out of him, so he said hi, then the sitter took him out to the park. Btw, I wasn't asked for it, but I showed the social worker the LPAs I have for OH and he made a note. I'm going to chase him today.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
I've done one a week ago today. It was technically a re-assessment but they gave me a self-assessment form which is apparently a new thing here. I wrote everything down, then the social worker sat down with me for 90 minutes and we went through it, he asked loads more questions and we discussed how to achieve the very specific goals I had set out. My advice is to write everything down that supports your requests, your physical and emotional state of mind, how well do you sleep, what are you missing out on etc. write down everything you need help with even if they might not be able to help with it, just for a round picture of your needs. He did want to see OH which I had no problem with, but I told him he would get no sense out of him, so he said hi, then the sitter took him out to the park. Btw, I wasn't asked for it, but I showed the social worker the LPAs I have for OH and he made a note. I'm going to chase him today.

Thanks Beate. G L

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I waited a few months for an assessment and in the end they sent me a form to fill in instead of a face to face discussion. To me it wasnt worth the paper it was written on as most of it was yes or no answers. You could not explain the situation properly. I was told i was entitled to the personal budget and that was it, no letter of explanation as to what else they could provide for me, it seems to me that i will have to cope with everything else. My OH does not like to spend money so paying for external help is out of the question as is joining any day clubs etc, he also does not like the idea of other people in the house. Had someone round yesterday about the befriending service and he has more or less ruled that out as well.

And that's the trouble, thebell. I used to react like that as well. You're heading for a crisis if you don't work out a plan of action. I'm sorry, but I'm speaking from experience. My husband never acknowledged his illness as so many don't, and that leaves the carer in a precarious situation, because we then risk being taxed to more than our natural limit of endurance. We, as carers, need support. We can try to give it our all and not allow help to come in because our loved ones "won't like it", but where does that leave us? We are not machines, we are human beings.

In a hospital or similar place, there are teams of people caring for their patients. When it's just one person, (you and me), we're going to run out of steam at some point, and that's why help must be accessed. You're doing a job that, if you were doing it as paid work, you would expect to have health and safety cover. We have to get our own cover as carers by getting things put in place to keep the whole household safe. It's not safe to be left alone with this illness, for all kinds of reasons.

Don't say no to anything, or you'll end up with no help whatsoever. Those who try to help will assume you don't need it if you refuse any offer, however big or small. Please, and this goes for everyone, say yes when help is offered.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
And that's the trouble, thebell. I used to react like that as well. You're heading for a crisis if you don't work out a plan of action. I'm sorry, but I'm speaking from experience. My husband never acknowledged his illness as so many don't, and that leaves the carer in a precarious situation, because we then risk being taxed to more than our natural limit of endurance. We, as carers, need support. We can try to give it our all and not allow help to come in because our loved ones "won't like it", but where does that leave us? We are not machines, we are human beings.

In a hospital or similar place, there are teams of people caring for their patients. When it's just one person, (you and me), we're going to run out of steam at some point, and that's why help must be accessed. You're doing a job that, if you were doing it as paid work, you would expect to have health and safety cover. We have to get our own cover as carers by getting things put in place to keep the whole household safe. It's not safe to be left alone with this illness, for all kinds of reasons.

Don't say no to anything, or you'll end up with no help whatsoever. Those who try to help will assume you don't need it if you refuse any offer, however big or small. Please, and this goes for everyone, say yes when help is offered.

Well said that (Music) Woman. G L

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
When my OH was about to be discharged from hospital a couple of months ago, the social worker there updated my carer's assessment. She was very positive about it and told me , if I have got this right, that the law changed in April and there was now non means tested money available to pay for the support hours I needed to go on caring for my OH without collapsing through exhaustion from all those things we know so well, disturbed sleep, dealing with incontinence, constant worry of being on the watch every waking hour, monitoring his every drink and mouthful so he doesn't get aspiration problems too soon again And so on. The result was a realistic number of hours for me, as opposed the the stingy hours allowed for his personal care.

In all honesty I didn't believe it would happen until the bank transfer for the direct payment arrived in the designated account last week. Thankfully my OH has got a good and fun relationship with his main carer, and we have now found a likely couple of extras to cover other times. Once our new system has settled in it will be a huge help in offsetting the trapped feeling I have had this last couple of months since he has been too frail to go back to his twice weekly day care, and finds even short outings tiring. I find I am beginning to think in terms of planning quality time with him, trying different activities or ways of relaxing together. Rather than just trying to make it through each day by the skin of my teeth.
It would be even better if I actually got any time at home on my own to relax and just enjoy the place, but that does seem impossible. I just am really greatful that I get the support I do, which seems a lot better than in many areas. Have others been able to get more help now there has been this change, or are the powers that be keeping quiet about it? It sounded like anational change so should be England at least. Although the money has come the written up assessment has not so I can't quote you the changed law.