Carers assessment.

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Hello everyone. Well after a struggle and threats of a nervous breakdown I have had a carers assessment done over the phone! The social worker has indicated that I may be entitled to a scheme called "take a break". This would allow for someone to come and sit with my Mum for 3 hours a week or I can use say 2 hours a week and bank the other for another day to be used within 6 weeks.
Does anyone know if I take this up - does it mean I couldn't ask for a weeks respite for her at some point? My problem is I don't live with my Mum but I do an awful lot for her, along with my other sister. Mum doesn't want to go in a home for respite or at all in fact! However as she deteriorates I'm wondering if a weeks respite would be best.
Just wondered if anyone knows? Also I read a post about someone from the Alzheimer's society visiting on a regular basis - is that like a volunteer befriender? I know in our area there is a long waiting list.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Take up the offer. It will lead to new information and new contacts. Always write down the name and phone number of everyone you deal with from any social service so that you can contact them again at some future date. Ask all of them about services and how to access them. Sometimes they let slip things you wouldn't know about.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Before you agree to anything with Social Services check any potential costs, ie is ' "take a break" free, means tested, or charged?

You could also ask AgeUK and CAB about any befriending services.

Last edited:

DazeInOurLives

Dec 10, 2009
East Midlands,UK
twitter.com
Hello everyone. Well after a struggle and threats of a nervous breakdown I have had a carers assessment done over the phone! The social worker has indicated that I may be entitled to a scheme called "take a break". This would allow for someone to come and sit with my Mum for 3 hours a week or I can use say 2 hours a week and bank the other for another day to be used within 6 weeks.
Does anyone know if I take this up - does it mean I couldn't ask for a weeks respite for her at some point? My problem is I don't live with my Mum but I do an awful lot for her, along with my other sister. Mum doesn't want to go in a home for respite or at all in fact! However as she deteriorates I'm wondering if a weeks respite would be best.
Just wondered if anyone knows? Also I read a post about someone from the Alzheimer's society visiting on a regular basis - is that like a volunteer befriender? I know in our area there is a long waiting list.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Hi,

It may depend on local budgeting arrangements. The social worker will know.

Crossroads Care can offer occasional respite at home for free. http://www.carers.org/what-crossroads-care-scheme

Call your local Alz Soc and Age UK branches to get on the waiting list for a volunteer befriender. Yes, the waiting list is huge. My Dad died still waiting; Mum has been on the list for 7 years without luck! So don't hold your breath :(

You might be able to find your own trustworthy befriender via a local church or any clubs or organisations that your Mum used to belong to.

And there are day care centres which can make a huge difference to carers and if you're lucky, go a little way towards getting a person used to a collective care setting, which might help in the future...

Take what's on offer. Avoid a nervous breakdown. What would your Mum tell you to do if she were well? x

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Thanks everyone. The social worker said there is no charge for the take a break scheme so pleased about that.
I did put mums name down for a befriender but still waiting!
I will keep you updated once I have something in place! I still don't quite believe it just yet!,

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Best of luck. My mum has a befriender via social services. We have both found this to be wonderful. A well trained befriender is an extra independant person assessing my mums ability to cope. When the befriender told me she thought mum should go into 24hr care i almost cried. It helped with the guilt monsters. Its the start of intervention too and i hope it works for you too. Lots of love quilty

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Thank you so much quilty. What would I do without all of you on this forum. Try talking to my family and one sibling doesn't care and the other one just shouts! Thank goodness I have you folks xxx