Carers assessment

Alice nun

Jul 9, 2017
help to understand please if anyone can
Advice how this works.
I was told that a carer can get a couple of hours to sit with the person having care so that the carer gets a brake.
Does this mean the the person that is cared for has to have a financial assessment and has to pay for the carer to have a brake a sitting service etc
I really like to understand some things
As I have had some conflicting stories since I started my caring and although I’m the carer and don’t really want any added things to sort out I feel I want to learn as much as I can now
Any experience of this I love to here
Thank you in advance
Alice

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
You can have a carers assessment with your GP practice for free. They should talk you through this.

Most things are means tested and if you have more than £23000 in savings you have to pay for it.

Alice nun

Jul 9, 2017
Hello thank you for your post
I see so a carer can have a carers assessment with there own GP
Interesting, Thank you
This is what I don’t understand
Does the carer have to be means tested to
Have a brake or does the one cared for
Have to be means tested for the carer to have a brake.
I hope I’m making sense
Alice

Scrimjay

Mar 31, 2019
There may be a carer support service in your area. The one in our area is a charity and they have a volunteer "sitter service". Think it's something like 3 hrs, with a maximum number of 12 "sits" per year. They also offer other support for carers.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I see so a carer can have a carers assessment with there own GP
It may depend on where you are. My GP wont do that - it had to be Social Services who did my OHs needs assessment
It should be the person with dementia who pays for their own care, or if they are under the threshold of £25,000 then the Local Authority will start to pay towards it. The assets belonging to the carer is not counted. If there are joint bank accounts then only 50% of that amount is counted.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
As above implies these things vary between local authorities. Generally speaking the charges are as Canary suggests but some areas do offer voluntary breaks which might not have a cost. The only way to find out what is available and what it will cost is to contact adult social services and ask for a care assessment for the PWD and a needs assessment for yourself.

Last edited:

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
some areas do offer voluntary breaks which might not have a cost. The only way to find out what is available and what it will cost is to contact adult social services and ask for a care assessment for the PWS and a needs assessment for yourself.
That is correct, some areas do offer breaks without a cost. My GP referred me to SS as a carer and they came and did a carer's assessment. They did not do any financial assessment and granted my husband a carer for two hours a week for my benefit, so that I could get out on my own. It is better if you can get your GP to refer you to SS.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
When I had my carers assessment @Alice nun I was granted £150 to spend on myself and a week free respite for my dad. There was no financial assessment for me only for my dad when he had his care assessment.
I had to phone SS and they did the assessment over the phone.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
In my case, the local authority payed for 3 hours free sitting after a carers assessment by the carers support group.They helped with the paperwork. I was at breaking point and just these 3 hours were a godsend. I agree that it all depends on where you live. A needs and a carers assessment is essential as it puts you on their books and helps later on in the dementia journey. Hope this helps.

Alice nun

Jul 9, 2017
thank you all so much for you post
I have now been told that I can’t have help
A sitting service but my husband can have assessment for carers.
This isn’t what I wanted I’m my husband carer. I have a feeling I will just carry on
As I am. I really haven’t got the energy
For anything other then looking after him.
How this illness as changed me.
How could it not.
Thank you again Alice xx

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
thank you all so much for you post
I have now been told that I can’t have help
A sitting service but my husband can have assessment for carers.
This isn’t what I wanted I’m my husband carer. I have a feeling I will just carry on
As I am. I really haven’t got the energy
For anything other then looking after him.
How this illness as changed me.
How could it not.
Thank you again Alice xx

Hi Alicenun - not sure where you live but wondering if you have Crossroads in your area. You can get 3 hours free per week from them where someone will come to your home and sit with your husband. Our local Crossroads has an 18 month waiting list but they can move you up the list depending on circumstances.

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Just had a thought. Have you tried the Alzheimers side by side volunteers.Dad has a lovely man that takes him out once a week for about 3 hours or they just sit and talk.They have become great friends. It’s a free service.

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
Just had a thought. Have you tried the Alzheimers side by side volunteers.Dad has a lovely man that takes him out once a week for about 3 hours or they just sit and talk.They have become great friends. It’s a free service.
Juliematch - our local Alz Society have this service - befriending - but there is a charge! Last time I heard it was around £18 an hour !

Juliematch

Jun 24, 2017
Our Alzheimers support charity charge for befriending ,that was about the same price but Alzheimers society side by side in our area is free. Perhaps it’s different according to where you live.

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
help to understand please if anyone can
Advice how this works.
I was told that a carer can get a couple of hours to sit with the person having care so that the carer gets a brake.
Does this mean the the person that is cared for has to have a financial assessment and has to pay for the carer to have a brake a sitting service etc
I really like to understand some things
As I have had some conflicting stories since I started my caring and although I’m the carer and don’t really want any added things to sort out I feel I want to learn as much as I can now
Any experience of this I love to here
Thank you in advance
Alice
It depends where you are. Im in scotland and i think im entitled to s spot of free respite. Had a carers assessment i Sept. Never heard a peep back. The bottom line m'dears is that regardless of the platitudes, we are on our own.

Lladro

May 1, 2019
Hi, sitting service is means tested. I have a lady come in for three hours once a week now and it costs me £50. I have also just managed to persuade my OH to go to a Dementia day care centre - but only by telling a white lie, that she is going there to help the helpers. This is for three hours also and costs me £45. By the time I have taken her there (about 45 minutes away from home), and another 45 minutes to collect her - I am just as stressed as I was before she went! Its hard isnt it! You just feel as if you may as well just carry on coping the best way that you can because the "options" available are few and far between. I really sympathise with you. Keep strong, you are going a good job in extremely difficult circumstances.

Lladro

May 1, 2019
Forgot to mention, that I had a "Carers Assessment" recently. The lady from the council was very nice and sympathetic - However, the only thing that she could really offer me was a one-off monetary payment so that I could go and have some acupuncture to ease my stress. I am grateful of course, but I have to say that I thought a "Carers assessment" would be more about offering me support with "caring"? We really are on our own - Good job we have this forum to share our vent !

Alice nun

Jul 9, 2017
Hi and of corse thank you all

So very much.

Nothing is free and I get that but

Why ain’t we told about this illness.

If you or your partner gets any sort of dementia your on your own

Because we are.

We are grown ups can’t we be told

We should plan for this illness

Although we perhaps might not. At least we would have been made aware,and could perhaps plan. Or have a plan in place.

Not many no this or that ( reminds me

Of Micheal cane)

I no now although it’s far to late for me.

I’m angry of corse I am I should be.

I knew nothing of this illness and what it does to the person caring

I’m so angry for not just me for all the carers and the people that are being cared for.

What would your choice be if you knew.

You’d have a word with you nearest and dearest and tell them what you want

Them to do.

My heart is in pieces and not just for me

For us all

I have poo all over the house wee everywhere I feed my husband i wash shave him I’m his everything.

And no to everyone that says ( I for get things some times)

It’s not that at all.

And I do try to plan but my health because of this illness is suffering I think maybe I might go before him but of corse when I’m gone I’m gone and hay ho

I’m gone

But please let me have just a little respect and piece while I’m dealing with this

Please just give me a little help

Don’t make it harder then it is

I want nothing just a helping hand and

I will return that 10 fold

My heart goes out to you all.

I just want someone to put there arms around me and hold me and say

Nothing at all just feel my pain

Stand up and understand what this

Night mare is this to me is dead man walking

And all we can do is carry on

And that’s what we will do.
Please do not judge me just help me now
And for that I will help you
Alice

Maggiejigs

Apr 22, 2018
Oh
Hi and of corse thank you all

So very much.

Nothing is free and I get that but

Why ain’t we told about this illness.

If you or your partner gets any sort of dementia your on your own

Because we are.

We are grown ups can’t we be told

We should plan for this illness

Although we perhaps might not. At least we would have been made aware,and could perhaps plan. Or have a plan in place.

Not many no this or that ( reminds me

Of Micheal cane)

I no now although it’s far to late for me.

I’m angry of corse I am I should be.

I knew nothing of this illness and what it does to the person caring

I’m so angry for not just me for all the carers and the people that are being cared for.

What would your choice be if you knew.

You’d have a word with you nearest and dearest and tell them what you want

Them to do.

My heart is in pieces and not just for me

For us all

I have poo all over the house wee everywhere I feed my husband i wash shave him I’m his everything.

And no to everyone that says ( I for get things some times)

It’s not that at all.

And I do try to plan but my health because of this illness is suffering I think maybe I might go before him but of corse when I’m gone I’m gone and hay ho

I’m gone

But please let me have just a little respect and piece while I’m dealing with this

Please just give me a little help

Don’t make it harder then it is

I want nothing just a helping hand and

I will return that 10 fold

My heart goes out to you all.

I just want someone to put there arms around me and hold me and say

Nothing at all just feel my pain

Stand up and understand what this

Night mare is this to me is dead man walking

And all we can do is carry on

And that’s what we will do.
Please do not judge me just help me now
And for that I will help you
Alice[/QUOTE

Oh Alicenun such true words and you will not find anyone on here disagreeing with you. None of us signed up for this and sadly we have to search for the answers most of the time and fight and shout loud for everything - as my friend said to me “the door that squeaks gets the oil”. I feel so sad every night when I put my LOs nappy and rubber pants on and he toddles off to his bed - a man who is still 6’ 1”, played rugby, ran three London Marathons and ran a Company - all dignity gone but thankfully he is not aware. I am slowly losing my husband of 51 years and the only person in this world who had my back and truly cared for me. Sending you a virtual hug xx