Carers Assessment.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Thank you for your advice. And your so right, it really doesn’t get any easier. I will go for anything that I can get to help me and my mother, the thing that was holding me back from asking was my 3 sisters who come and see mum once in a blue moon and criticise everything I do. And tell me I am doing everything wrong. Then they go home and leave me feeling completely useless. So I think I have been trying to prove to myself and everyone else that I can do it by myself. But the time has come when I admit to myself I need help. Thanks for listening all the best Tizzy.
Ah Yes! The invisibles. A lot of us on TP have those. Take any advice or suggestions from a carers assessment you can if you go ahead with it...ignore the siblings or suggest that you are going away for a weekend and will expect one of them to take over at 5pm on a Friday until you are back. They are our siblings but just because they say something assertively doesn't mean they are either right or know even a fraction of what a caring role involves.

aqualibra

Feb 3, 2018
Hi, I care for my mother who has dementia, and my mothers social worker has suggested that I have a “carers assessment” could someone please tell me if this is a good thing or does the social worker think I’m not doing a good job caring for my mother. I’m worried sick as I do everything possible for my mother and afraid they will say I’m able to care for my mother and take her from me. Please help.
Hi Tizzy,

As others have said, you are legally entitled to a carer's assessment to see if there is anything that you may need more help with, and to look at things that might help you when you need a break as well. You might want to think about what would you and your mother want to do if you needed a break for whatever reason. Would you want care in her own home, or a period of respite in a care home whilst you're having a break? Do you have enough time to carry out essential things like shopping, laundry. Social care needs you far more than you may think. If you're doing everything day in day out for your mother, then that saves them money, but how long can any human being carry on doing that for? There are lots of support groups for carer's if you feel you want that, there may be activities that your mother could go to if she wants that as well.

Social care doesn't have much money at present, so I would take whatever you feel you need.It's not an assessment of how well you're looking after your mother, but to help you if you need any, and if you feel you don't need any help, then that's great. If you mother doesn't currently have any other support than you, then that just shows what a great job you're already doing.