Carers Assessment

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi to all
Does anyone have any experience of having a carers assessment? I know I can ask for one, but I'm not sure what benefits it could bring? I am not living with Dad, but am his main carer, he is in hospital at the moment. He is on an asessment ward having just left a nursing home and wating to find a new one. I've never asked for help before, but i am now thinking its about time I should be asking. Any thoughts please?
hendy

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Hendy, my thoughts are, go for it!

I had my first one about three years ago, when I was going under. I was assessed for two, two-hour sessions of Crossroads each week. This was to enable me to get out and talk to people, and it made a huge difference to my life.

Then as John deteriorated further, I asked for a review. I was offered first one, then two days of daycare on top of the Crossroads, and rolling respite.

I never took them up on the respite, though I had one booked. John was hospitalised instead.

I'd certainly ask for the assessment. You don't have to accept what they offer, but it helps to know it's there.

Make sure you emphasise how badly you are feeling, and that you can't cope with things as they are at the moment. Don't try to be brave!

Good luck,

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Thanks Hazel
I think I will make some enquiries after the weekend. The last six weeks have been very telling and I feel that my own health (mental and physical)has been affected to some extent. Because of circumstances, my Dad could be in hospital for a while. Theres no other support from other family members (not even visiting Dad), so I am well and truly on my own with this one.
take care
hendy

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
I would agree with Hazel you need to get into the system before any help is offered. I also got day care for my husband ,crossroads and respite. Its very true to say if you don't ask you don't get.

Cynthia

rose_of_york

Mar 22, 2008
York
I had a carer's assessment the other week as I am at the end of my tether about my mother, who has AD but will not admit it and refuses all help.

The social worker was very kind and could offer counselling and aromatherapy, but not anybody who can take away the responsibility for my mother. That would mean my mother having an assessment of her needs, which she will not have. Unless she agrees to it they cannot make her. And of course she doesn't need it as there's nothing wrong with her. So she sits in the house on her own and takes a screwdriver to electrical fittings, throws the phone and the video in the bin and even on one occasion set an unwatched pan on fire.

Barbara

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Barbara,
Do the SS realize your mother is at risk? I am not sure what they can do, she doesn`t sound ready to be sectioned, but it is very worrying that she is playing around with electricity.

rose_of_york

Mar 22, 2008
York
Hello Sylvia - thanks for your concern. I tried to refer her to SS last week. They will not take the referral unless she agrees - which she won't as there's nothing wrong with her in her mind. The OT has promised to go round and try and persuade her to see the social worker but don't hold out much hope - he did ask her once before if she would let somebody come and ask if she's taken her medication - she just got angry with him.

Barbara

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Hi All,
Ron's social worker said I should have a carer's assement.
What benefit will it give Ron and I?.
All we need is more flexibility to how we want Ron cared for, not how they tell us what they can offer.
Am I right in thinking that any extra monies paid to the carer can be used in whatever way we see fit, I mean in the care Ron chooses ?. And the freedom I choose on how to use this extra money.
Barb X:)

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Rose of York
When you're dealing with the problems such as you describe, it seems hardly relevant to be taking up their offer of aromatherapy. I am sorry you are going through such a distressing time with mum. Hope she can receive help soon.
take care
hendy

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Am I right in thinking that any extra monies paid to the carer can be used in whatever way we see fit, I mean in the care Ron chooses ?. And the freedom I choose on how to use this extra money.

Yes Barb, you are quite right. The money can be used to make life easier for Ron or for you, so you can better care for Ron.

Love xx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Hendy
you must go for the assessment.
Think carefully what you want,what you need beforehand.
Do you want help am/pm with washing and dressing?
Do you want sitters to enable you to persue your outside interests?
Do you want direct payments

There is flexibility when you do obtain funding,you can use the funding as you wish,within reason.
PM me if you wish.
Norman

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
I am new to this so I apologize if I step on toes, I do not mean to. I have been a caregiver to my mother for 5 yrs. She is in Stage 7. I know that the caregiver is all to often ignored. I have 1 sibling who all but can't get away. I chose at first to do it all myself. I felt draqgged down..tired you name..emotionally I was a wreck and my daughter, bless her soul has had to put up with it all. The moment I decided that I needed help a brick was lifted. Yes, the extra money spent may seem like a hardship but it will not be for naught. You have to look at it in terms of taking care of yourself after all who will take care of your new "child" if you are gone. I have a woman come in that sits...she came recommended and loves to give love back to the patient as it should be. The time she spends with m,om I use for myself....I look at it this way..this caregiver will not go down without a fight. Hugs to you..I hope you find what you need.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Am I right in thinking that any extra monies paid to the carer can be used in whatever way we see fit, I mean in the care Ron chooses ?.

Can I clarify this? You only get money if you are granted direct payments. This means that the SW will assess your needs, and you can apply to take this as cash rather than services.

I never had direct payments, as I was happy with the services provided, and felt that at least SS were overseeing the carers provided.

Direct payments are an advantage if you have a member of the family or a friend who would be available when required, and would probably charge less than a professional. But not all LAs will give direct payments, it varies from area to area.

And you have to use the money to buy in care, and keep accounts, which are checked regularly, so you can't really use it in any way you like.

Certainly go for the assessment, and ask about direct payments at the time, if that would be a benefit.

Maryav

Mar 23, 2008
South Wales
Yes go for it, have an assessment done as soon as possible. As we live in wales I'm aware that sometimes what happens with SS is different. When my MIL came out of residential care back to her own home (which we had adapted for her)I gave up work to look after her as she needs 24/7 care. Don't know whether I'm a different case or not but I contacted SS and asked for someone to come out to see us. Before I knew what had happened it had been arranged for Cross Roads (wonderful people) to come one afternoon per week for me to meet my grandchildren from school. Then a few weeks later my MIL had been referred to a day centre one day per week. All this has taken a few months to arrange but nevertheless it has given my husband and I one and a half days when we can plan things and have some free time. At first I did feel that I didn't want other people coming into the house and perhaps doing things whch I had no control over, but we didn't realise how much caring takes over your whole life, and so far I have been really grateful for everything they have offered.

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Well, I'm confused (easily done at the minute!:eek:) ..... I know I've asked about a Carer's Assessment before - believing it was about what care was needed for mum and what I could realistically give and how someone (?) SS or other agencies might fill the gaps ....... never intended on a financial basis.....

What IS the primary purpose of these assessments? (I seem to have been lucky to plug gaps without going through a 'procedure' - having a near nervous breakdown and agencies becoming aware probably helped!!!!!! :eek:) I would hate to think carers were put off because they thought it was to simply gain finance -- even if that finance were to secure support? And no, I'm afraid I don't see aromatherapy as a solution either ......

:confused: Karen, x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Karen, like you I was happy to accept the services provided.

But some people have a friend who might be more acceptable to the person with dementia.

It's certainly not a way of getting extra money. If anyone opts for direct payments, SS have to know who is being employed, and strict accounts have to be kept.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
And of course, in England, it is 'means tested', if it is going to be used for the purpose of care.

In my case, in my own right as an unpaid carer I was awarded a manicure every fortnight.
(But I had to get someone to sit with Lionel whilst I took advantage of this.
Sorry to sound cynical.

I remember posting here on TP a copy of the letter I sent to SS in disgust.

Last edited:

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
That is the problem Connie

Ron's Social Worker want's me to be assessed, as a carer.
What is the benefit ? Money ?.
I want the care for Ron, as I see fit,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Ron's Social Worker want's me to be assessed, as a carer.
What is the benefit ? Money ?.
I want the care for Ron, as I see fit,

I wonder that also, what benefit do I get as mum carer . I
suppose it must be different for every one , in what the carer wants . I wanted some time out for me , while caring for my mother at home to keep her out of Care home .

As my mother is willing to except the services from SS as in day centre 5 days a week . which free up time for me . meaning it benefits me in a way as in free time for me , then also I have been assessed for my mother to have respite of 8 weeks a year . I also have a carer who washes mum & stay for up to an hour each day 7 days a week .

If my mother was not willing to go to Day centre , then SS would let my mother have 4 daily visits to the home from a carer , so she would sit with my mother while I went out .

That last part would happen when my mother AZ/ VD gets worse & with her
mobility , can't go to day centre any more .

With the free time I get , I try to take time out for me. but it can get hard to do that because I have a brother that does not live with me , but am also his carer .
Skye I never had direct payments, as I was happy with the services provided, and felt that at least SS were overseeing the carers provided.

Same as me .

Last edited: