Carer's Assessment Tomorrow - Any Tips?

Suzanna1969

Mar 28, 2015
Essex
Our 'lovely' SS is ringing me tomorrow to do a carer's assessment. This is because I requested help from Crossroads who provide a 'sitting' service.

Does anyone have any tips about what to say? And what not to say? Is it just relating to me? Dad is emphatic that he doesn't want 'those nosey so-and-so's' at the council prying into his financial affairs so I don;t want to prompt anything that could lead to my parents being hassled.

Last edited:

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
There shouldn't be any discussion of finance. the only thing they ought to be checking on is that he is claiming attendance allowance.
Tell it like it is, bring up all the difficulties you are having as a carer, what behaviours are making things more difficult, what kind of care you have to do, and be truthful. I went with dad to his carers assessment and we got someone to sit with mum so she didn't have to listen to us saying how tough it was.
If you need something like alarm mats then tell them, or if you need some rails in the bathroom so you don't have to lift etc, tell them that too, just anything that will make life easier.
It seems bad and disloyal to say that life is difficult but if you don't....they don't know.
They should come up with some ideas which will then have to go to panel for approval. Chase them up, get names, numbers and email addresses. Get dates by which time you should have heard something.
Good luck, they were lovely to dad but some things just never materialised and we were all too exhausted to chase it all.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Tell them what would make life easier for you. Is it the sitting service or a day centre, or what about respite. Grab rails etc are more the job for an OT but social services can refer you. They should also be able to give you details of charities and other organisations that can be helpful. If there are any one-off payments or well-being checks you are entitled to, they should tell you as well.

Summerheather

Feb 22, 2015
I had a Carers Assessment about a month ago, she's now referred me to have a Social Services Assessment with a Social Worker - I've been advised it could be sometime which is frustrating.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Our 'lovely' SS is ringing me tomorrow to do a carer's assessment. This is because I requested help from Crossroads who provide a 'sitting' service.

Does anyone have any tips about what to say? And what not to say? Is it just relating to me? Dad is emphatic that he doesn't want 'those nosey so-and-so's' at the council prying into his financial affairs so I don;t want to prompt anything that could lead to my parents being hassled.

South Gloucestershire carries out assessments at a neutral venue, Bristol don't, but you could ask if you want to protect your dad from any stress. We got help with a monitor which warns OH she is going the wrong way, she had headed up stairs to the downstairs toilet and out the front door in the middle of the night, so they are helpful if you get a good assessor. Hope that helps you Suzanna.

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1