Carers Assessment, boreing I know, Help needed

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
The supporter from the carer's assessment centre came yesterday to talk to me. He wanted to do an assessment on me. Very nice man, pleasant, and laughed a lot (that help's)
There was no wringing of hand's from me, no tear's, no, I cannot carry on anymore. Because what was the point ? I will carry on.
He went over the 24 hour care I give Ron from hour to hour.
From what I explained to him, he understood, I want a buddy for Ron, a pal. Someone to talk man talk, someone to take Ron for a haircut, a sauna - anything Ron want's. Without a women - ladies, men need their space also. But, I also need a break, if only to watch a film in the afternoon, without getting up to toilet Ron. Also, it would give us something else to discuss, like how was your day ? afternoon, whatever.
Anyway, he told me 12 hour's of careing is possible, is that about right ?
And, Ron need's a buddy more than a carer. But a buddy that can do other thing's. Like take Ron to a swimming pool, if only Ron could get in and swim a little, I know it would make him happy.
I am still not sure what the carers can provide, and what are we entitled to ?
He, the carer person is coming again next Thursday. Does he go away and discuss his finding's with a superior?
Anyone else know?
Another thing, he kept talking about £200 due to me, I was not listening, I was more interested in Ron, he was restless.
Can anyone, in plain language tell me what it is all about ?
Please do not give me a web page to look at, I cannot look at another one, I want plain speaking. Your experience will be enough. It is not about money, it does help. But I want to have choice, our choice for whatever path we take. After all, it is our life, more to the point, Ron's.
Many thanks to you all
Barb & Ron X

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Barb

Well done for getting so far. If you're offered 12 hours a week, that's good, I only ever had 4. But it does vary from area to area.

Sorry, Ican't help with the £200, I've no idea what that could be. Hopefully someone else will know.

Anyway, you've made good progress.

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Thank's Hazel

I am trying to swim through MUD at the moment. Why do the goverment make it so difficult?:mad: Maybe the goverment, think we are all stupid.:mad: Get over the age of 60:D:D Wrong:D:D We could all show them a thing or two;)
Barb & Ron X

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Barb & Ron,
Perhaps the £200 is for you to have a Carer but did he mention Direct Payment, which is from the L.A.
Peter received Direct Payment and I sorted out the Carer and the money enabled Peter to have a buddy to go out and about with and it allowed me "respite" time at home.
If Assesment has been done perhaps the money comes into the equation and you decide how you want it spend on Ron.
If they say you are entitled to it accept and take it from there.
Do hope you get something sorted soon for what you want for Ron and not what they think he needs.
I did not give an inch in that direction because like you I know my husband best.
Love to you both
Christine xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Relax, Barb!

Sorry I can't be of more help, I'm jut not sure enough about the English system, but I'm sure someone will be able to help. You've got till Thursday -- evening off, glass of wine, chat on TP, early night -- just be good to yourself -- and Ron, of course!

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Come to think of it, direct payment, was mentioned

Sorry Christine, Head up my b-m that day:D, What's new;) after all it was Ron's birthday. My mind, having senior moment's all the time. Need to get organised.
Well, he is coming back next week, the carer person.
I will type a list of question's, which at the moment you are all providing. More please. Let us all get to the bottom of this once and for all. Then I will be able to give info to other's who might have the same questions in the future.
BarbXX

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Barb,
Great minds think alike.
I was going to suggest write down list of questions and write the answers down.
If it is Direct Payments, the £200 could be per week but that you must ask as it all depends on the number of hours they have assessed you for.
If you need any help let me know.
Love to you & Ron
Christine xxx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
PS, Hazel, I am so relaxed, just had a wiskey & Dry

I am now Mrs Cool, well untill somthing _____S me off tomorrow. But for tonight, I am COOL. Well, that is a lie, it is freezing, I put the heating on tonight, it is May, well (ner cast a clout, till May is out)an Old wives (or is it wife) ?tale ??
Barb X

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
As you drink your wine, do a toast to the light at the end of the tunnel.
As for the old wives tale .... perhaps is was started of by a penny pinching husband, I have the tee shirt from my ex on that one.
Love to you both
Christine xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Freezing here too, Barb, I've got the fire on tonight.

Christine, your direct payments suggestion makes a lot of sense. I never thought of that. As Christine says, Barb, if you're offered it, grab it.

Now, about that whisky.......:D

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Barb!!....:)

I had a carer's assessment when Eric was first diagnosed 2 years ago...
When the Social Worker came out recently to do Eric's mobility assessment she asked if I needed to update it.

I've been advised by her to include the fact that I have responsibility for mum and my eldest son..in both cases I am classed as the main carer...:eek: as well as Eric..
This info is entered on their records..

Now where it goes from there I don't know..but if it's on record that's got to be good..

My understanding of a carer's assessment is to enable the services to assess what help they can give you which will benefit you the carer.
Not sure about the £200..some areas allocate an annual carers' payment to help with decorating etc.

Barb..I agree with the others..whatever they offer..take it..

I've put the heating back on tonight too..it's cold..

Love gigi xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Barb - you're in Cheshire, correct? According to the Cheshire County Council website:

Do you qualify for carer funding?

If you care for a family member, close friend or neighbour in Cheshire you could qualify for financial assistance of up to £250 to fund a break from caring.

The Cheshire Carers Fund is developed in response to the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000 to provide money for carers to spend on themselves.

For an application form call Cheshire Carers Centre Carers Helpline:
0800 085 0307.

I suspect that that is it. It's seems to be totally separate from direct payments: more like a one off grant.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
That is what I mean Jennifer

That is it:mad:
Why do none of the people we talk to listen ?
Each council is different.
One off payment, I agree. £200, per month:D:D Oh I wish:D:D
Once a year.
Well let me see ? Where can we go for £200 ?
What in the hell is £200 going to get you in this world ?
I sometimes watch (Deal or no Deal) sad I know:eek:
But, they are all so greedy:(
If I got the offer of £5,000, I would take it, even £3,000 would do.
Do you all get the point of this ? Oh, I hope so:D
Barb X

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I only know about this in our area because I read about it in our local paper at the end of March..apparently there was money left in the pot and they were asking for people to apply..the window was about 6 days...:eek: I don't think it was means tested either..

It smacks of incompetence..where is this money coming from ..who designates the funds..and why is it not widely known to be available..????

Given time and energy I'd have followed it up...I had neither..it's only reading this that has brought it back to me...:eek:

Love gigi xx...(doing my best)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I "think" it comes from the Princess Royal Trust (at least it's mentioned on their page)

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
All of you, never cease to amaze me

PLEASE, PLEASE, keep it coming.
If I can ask the question's, perhap's ---- we can all get the answers.
The answer's my friend's are blowing in the wind, the answers are blowing in the wind.
Barb XXX

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
Crossroads

Dear Barb.

I think someone from Crossroads would suit Ron fine, i had a lady to sit with Ron once a week, they did only sit and watch telly, but this service will play games or take for walks or rides out in the car. You name it and they do it. SS will fund this or you can pay privately. They are all trained and keep a log each time they call.

I found this service was a life saver for me.

They have a web site, look it up .

Love Cynthia x x

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I have a similar thing..

A sitter twice a week for 4 hours on a Tuesday and Thursday morning..

She will sit with Eric or take him out ...whatever suits..

This service is via Age Concern..funded by Social Services..specially for Dementia sufferers.

How complicated can you get....:rolleyes:

But..it's a godsend to me. And Eric will complain he doesn't need it..I simply tell him I have things to do..and it makes me happier knowing someone is with him.

He is generally more accepting these days...:)

I don't have to pay for it, by the way...

I could have extra..at £15 an hour....:eek:

Love gigi..xx