carers assesment advice

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hi,
I am hoping to get some advice. I am getting a carers assesment on Wednesday but what does it entail? Everyday/night is different days can be good but after tea moody wants bed at 7 to kicking things trying to get out etc yet can try to help on other days. Night can sleep all night or like last night at 3 went down the stairs to find the toilet ( its up stairs) this happened twice. I never know day to day what its going to be like. Do i give a good day or bad day? Another thing is this for the help i need with him? Advice please on what it is. Didn't have this with my Mum.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Chip,

I had a carer's assessment two years ago after I spent a week in hospital with internal bleeding.

Give them the worst scenario. They need to know how bad things can get, and what effect this is having on your health. They'll probably offer you some hours of Crossroads, which is great. You may also get some respite, as a service for you, not your husband. After all, they'll have to pay for care if you can't continue. So give them it with both barrels!

I get four hours a week of Crossroads, and I don't have to pay, because it's for my need.

I'm being re-assess on Wednesday too, since my husband has become incontinent. Don't know what they'll offer, but let's compare notes.

Good luck

Skye

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
assesment

Will do Skye will let you know. Was told by Crossroads they can't help because of where i stay, and as for respite well been told about a place but not until January and never seen it as well but been told it is for elderly so here we go again. I have a few things to show SS though. I also have had information about going on a course at college to be a trainer so it should be interesting. I'm going to write down notes for myself of the information i have found out (i will try and not make it a book)

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
That's what I have been told too, always give the worst case scenario.

I have a fabulous support worker who I can ring anytime, she even gave me her home phone number which I wouldn't use unless there was an emergency. She said I need social worker, my friend who is a psychiatric nurse says I need a social worker, everyone seems to be saying I need one but the manager at the day hospital which my husband goes to rang to tell me I have been given the wrong information, I do not need a social worker, I have them. They are great but I really could do with him going somewhere more than one day a week, for MY sanity. The social worker even rang me and said I don't need a social worker. My support worker was here when she rang and thank goodness for that, she spoke to this SW and now she will look into getting some respite but "we have no idea how long that will take and you do undersatand don't you that when he comes home from respite, he will be much worse than when he went in". He's 56 and as my support worker says, he's been unfortunate enough to get AD at this young age and they don't know what to do with early onset.

It's not at all helpful when people say I need a social worker and then other people say I don't! Apparently without the SW, I can't get much help with respite etc. It's an horrific disease without people seeming to be unhelpful to us.

Sue

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Twink,

I definitely think you should ask for a carer's assessment, it seems to be the only way to get regular support/care.

Do you have a branch of Princess Royal Trust in your area? They're absolutely brilliant. Because they're only concerned with the carer, they will move heaven & earth to get you what you are entitled to.

There are so many different agencies to deal with, that it sometimes feels as if they're all telling you something different, but PRTC is purely for you.

Good luck,

Skye

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Chip,

I'm currently reading a book called "Learning to Speak Alzheimers" - it makes reference to the behaviour you have mentioned when your husband is moody - around dusk time it would seem. This is known as "sundowning" and seems to be a common trait amongst sufferers. I'm no expert and don't know if your situation is similar but the book does provide some hints and tips for this time of day e.g. tricks with the way rooms are lit up can help avoid mood swings when dusk comes around. Also, provides tips on how to decorate your home to become easier for someone with Alzheimers to navigate (may help with the toilet thing) - one tip is to get reflective tape (can't see it during the day) and track this from the bedroom to the toilet - apparantly this glows at night and guides the way to the toilet.

Not sure if any of this is useful - maybe others have tried similar and can comment.

Take care
G
x

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
carers assessment

Twink I was also told i did not need a SW.but i insisted and low and behold i got a crossroads lady for three hours and respite was arranged.

This was 4 years after diagnosis of VA D.

Keep on until you get an assessment. you are entitled.

regards Cynron x x

Rosalind

Jul 2, 2005
Wiltshire
When the assessor appears, show him/her a record of as long a period as you can, so both bad and good days are recorded. And be prepared to be utterly honest about how you feel about the whole thing - if you find you are weeping every day, thinking about running away, hitting the bottle etc get that into the mix, so the stress you are under becomes obvious. Assessments are not the time to be brave and 'mustn't grumble' about the situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife