Carers and carers allowance- the forgotten people

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
@Andrew_McP I loathed H R Puffnstuff ?. But agree with everything you said.

CA is a joke, except it’s not funny. I’ve never claimed it because until very recently I wasn’t necessarily spending 36 hours a week on caring. However, lots of times over the last 15 years I’ve spent 20 hours but never knew I could claim Carers Benefit (no cash, but they pay your NI stamp). I only heard about it this year. Just thought I’d mention it in case anyone else in the same boat.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
oh well at least the £10 carers christmas bonus will help towards our massive expected fuel bill with our new supplier, after Avro stopped trading :)

JaxG

May 15, 2021
***Sleep-deprived waffle warning***

One way of semi-rationalising the way carers are treated -- both employed and unpaid -- is that our form of government is not really about helping people directly. It's about stopping civilisation falling apart in order that people can help themselves, largely unhindered by war, crime and -- where practical in an infinitely expanding area of intervention possibilities -- ill health.

Despite appearances, humans are animals like lions or chimpanzees or mice... we just had a bit of luck with the opposing thumb and maybe a bit of a brain boost from LSD/mushroom consumption way back when we were experimenting with not hanging about in trees most of the time. Our incredibly complex and completely artificial modern environment shields us from this fact, thanks largely to the way we've been able to ruthlessly exploit global resources to build this 'civilisation'. As long as we find cheap energy to grow; as long as things improve for humans; as long as there's a background of stability, the illusion of wellbeing continues... even though we, all 8 billion or so of us, are rushing headlong towards the buffers of what this planet's capable of supporting.

But that's tomorrow's problem, eh? In the mean time, governments have to work out how to make sure we reach teatime.

The Romans had bread and circuses to take their mind off the strains on their complicated and increasingly unstable world. We have Eastenders, benefits and emergency measures. Civilisation is only three meals deep, and the petrol "crisis" proves just how much we rely on calm, predictable behaviour to keep our world stable. One sniff of a loo roll "shortage" and a relatively small change in behaviour leads to problems which our version of society is ill-equipped to deal with for long.

The Chinese can impose order with a very efficient authoritarian jackboot. We... well, we appeal to folks' better sensibilities, paint a Police car with a snazzy colour scheme, offer everyone affected a place on a counselling scheme to help them realise there's no need to stockpile or glue themselves to motorways, and we cross our fingers. And toes. And the ballot paper for the same old same old.

Or something like that. You'll have to excuse me, these days I very easily slip into some kind of grumpy old man idea that the world's gone soft, stupid and short-sighted. I blame it on not being allowed to watch The Sweeney. And being allowed to watch H.R.Pufnstuf, which was far worse for developing minds and definitely an LSD/mushroom thing.

Where was I? Oh, yes... the point. The point is that those inclined to be in the caring professions, and especially those who give up their lives, work and prospects to look after family members (the kind of natural but outdated concept humanity used to take for granted) are the very, very, very last people governments need to worry about in any kind of crisis. Our temperaments mean that we are less likely to be the go-getting, push-the-boundaries, risk-taking, GDP-boosting types that drive the world 'forward' in good times, and therefore much less likely to have a violently unpredictable nervous breakdown when things start to fall apart.

Our world fell apart already. We're used to it. And we don't have the energy to riot when we can't find sundried tomatoes or vodka in the supermarket.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
***Sleep-deprived waffle warning***

One way of semi-rationalising the way carers are treated -- both employed and unpaid -- is that our form of government is not really about helping people directly. It's about stopping civilisation falling apart in order that people can help themselves, largely unhindered by war, crime and -- where practical in an infinitely expanding area of intervention possibilities -- ill health.

Despite appearances, humans are animals like lions or chimpanzees or mice... we just had a bit of luck with the opposing thumb and maybe a bit of a brain boost from LSD/mushroom consumption way back when we were experimenting with not hanging about in trees most of the time. Our incredibly complex and completely artificial modern environment shields us from this fact, thanks largely to the way we've been able to ruthlessly exploit global resources to build this 'civilisation'. As long as we find cheap energy to grow; as long as things improve for humans; as long as there's a background of stability, the illusion of wellbeing continues... even though we, all 8 billion or so of us, are rushing headlong towards the buffers of what this planet's capable of supporting.

But that's tomorrow's problem, eh? In the mean time, governments have to work out how to make sure we reach teatime.

The Romans had bread and circuses to take their mind off the strains on their complicated and increasingly unstable world. We have Eastenders, benefits and emergency measures. Civilisation is only three meals deep, and the petrol "crisis" proves just how much we rely on calm, predictable behaviour to keep our world stable. One sniff of a loo roll "shortage" and a relatively small change in behaviour leads to problems which our version of society is ill-equipped to deal with for long.

The Chinese can impose order with a very efficient authoritarian jackboot. We... well, we appeal to folks' better sensibilities, paint a Police car with a snazzy colour scheme, offer everyone affected a place on a counselling scheme to help them realise there's no need to stockpile or glue themselves to motorways, and we cross our fingers. And toes. And the ballot paper for the same old same old.

Or something like that. You'll have to excuse me, these days I very easily slip into some kind of grumpy old man idea that the world's gone soft, stupid and short-sighted. I blame it on not being allowed to watch The Sweeney. And being allowed to watch H.R.Pufnstuf, which was far worse for developing minds and definitely an LSD/mushroom thing.

Where was I? Oh, yes... the point. The point is that those inclined to be in the caring professions, and especially those who give up their lives, work and prospects to look after family members (the kind of natural but outdated concept humanity used to take for granted) are the very, very, very last people governments need to worry about in any kind of crisis. Our temperaments mean that we are less likely to be the go-getting, push-the-boundaries, risk-taking, GDP-boosting types that drive the world 'forward' in good times, and therefore much less likely to have a violently unpredictable nervous breakdown when things start to fall apart.

Our world fell apart already. We're used to it. And we don't have the energy to riot when we can't find sundried tomatoes or vodka in the supermarket.

You are so right!!

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
I left a well paid job on £18k a year to look after my OH 4 yrs ago. I am now faced with the prospect of the coming month, putting him into a home, and at 62 will have to find a job. I may get some of his private pension, but I have bills to pay now., and I'm actually tired and drained.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I left a well paid job on £18k a year to look after my OH 4 yrs ago. I am now faced with the prospect of the coming month, putting him into a home, and at 62 will have to find a job. I may get some of his private pension, but I have bills to pay now., and I'm actually tired and drained.
if you mean that there are biills to pay right now eg heating, maintenance, new washing machine, then pay them now, therd's no reason not to
apologies if you mean that you will, at some point, have to pay future bills on hour own
are you able to take the pension early , from when you worked

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
if you mean that there are biills to pay right now eg heating, maintenance, new washing machine, then pay them now, therd's no reason not to
apologies if you mean that you will, at some point, have to pay future bills on hour own
are you able to take the pension early , from when you worked
No, just mean bills for normal things, car, sky, BT, council tax, Heating, and still paying private pensions. Not worth taking any work pension yet. Job market is good though, so shouldn’t have any problem.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
I am on CA and its a pittance. I had to take early retirement because of OH and if I were working I would be getting, so, so much more income and this has penalised my occupational pension too. At least it pays my NI so that I will get full state pension.
In 2019, after 5 years of increasing caring responsibilities, I reduced my working hours to care for my Mum. Although it meant my NI was paid, I obviously lost any benefits/contributions towards my private pension.
When things got worse with Mum and I retired completely, I was then told that I didn't qualify for CA because I couldn't demonstrate having spent more than 37 hours per week on caring responsibilities......
Living in her home for 24 hours a day for anything from 4 days to 3 weeks every time there was another crisis (Four times between end January - mid August 2021), followed by speaking on the phone a dozen times an hour but only visiting twice a week for the next couple of weeks apparently did not demonstrate me having spent the necessary number of hours required to qualify because one has to demonstrate the provision of active care for a consistent number of hours every week - not an average.
Quite frankly, the whole system requires review.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
I’m afraid that the moral of the story is that nobody should give up work or reduce their hours to care for someone without going into this with their eyes wide open. The financial hit is huge and can have far reaching consequences into old age; Carers Allowance is a pittance and actually quite hard to get and it can be difficult, if not impossible, to get back into employment at the same ‘level’ (or even to get any employment at all) after a period of caring, particularly if you are in your fifties or sixties.