Carers and carers allowance- the forgotten people

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
I have looked at money being thrown around left right and centre this year and have known people that have been furloughed for 18 months and had been allowed to have a second full time job so had 2 full time wages coming in for all of that time.People had extra money thrown at them with universal credit,I think they got £80 extra.
To be honest it made me feel a bit bitter,I feel as if carers allowance is the forgotten benefit,the cost of living is going up(bills for heating greatly so) and carers allowance is remaining the same.
i'm not saying CA should have gone up because of covid,I'm saying that it should always have been at a higher rate.
That's my polite rant for the day,just to get it off my chest.

Snuffette

Jan 11, 2021
I agree. I also have to supply all of my mum's incontinence products, I have been told I am not in the criteria for any claim. The products cost a fortune :(

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
I agree. I also have to supply all of my mum's incontinence products, I have been told I am not in the criteria for any claim. The products cost a fortune :(
Hi that's sad,has she not had any prescribed by the continence service.Is it pads that you hsave to pay for?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am on CA and its a pittance. I had to take early retirement because of OH and if I were working I would be getting, so, so much more income and this has penalised my occupational pension too. At least it pays my NI so that I will get full state pension.

Snuffette

Jan 11, 2021
Yep! I have asked the CH to assist but hit a brick wall, the continence service say that mum doesn't qualify as it is a matter of how incontinent she is even tho' she has pads on every day :(

Snuffette

Jan 11, 2021
Hi that's sad,has she not had any prescribed by the continence service.Is it pads that you hsave to pay for?
Yep! I have asked the CH to assist but hit a brick wall, the continence service say that mum doesn't qualify as it is a matter of how incontinent she is even tho' she has pads on every day :(

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
Oh right i don't know how it works in care homes,i hope somebody on here may have some advice.Yes they are costly.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
I am on CA and its a pittance. I had to take early retirement because of OH and if I were working I would be getting, so, so much more income and this has penalised my occupational pension too. At least it pays my NI so that I will get full state pension.
i'm sorry to hear that,they are hard times

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
I think what gets me is that should mum pass away/go into a home before I am 66yrs and 1 month which is just about 41/2 years time , the pittance I have will stop and I will be expected to find a job. So, in my 60s at least 6 years since I did a career job who will take me on ? Add to that shattered by the whole experience? Yes I will be qualified (?) by experience to be a carer but funnily enough that is not on my career plan!!

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Anyone involved in caring (family carers, domiciliary carers, people working in care homes) is poorly paid and treated. Attendance Allowance is a pittance compared with the costs of paid care, even care at home. It doesn’t even cover two half hour care visits a day which is what someone eligible for Attendance Allowance is likely to need. And it’s very unfair that AA is suspended when the person has been in hospital for 28 days (which includes periods added together by the linking rules) if they still have to pay for care whether at home (quite common with the ‘posher’ agencies) or in a care home.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I think what gets me is that should mum pass away/go into a home before I am 66yrs and 1 month which is just about 41/2 years time , the pittance I have will stop and I will be expected to find a job. So, in my 60s at least 6 years since I did a career job who will take me on ? Add to that shattered by the whole experience? Yes I will be qualified (?) by experience to be a carer but funnily enough that is not on my career plan!!
My dad died in February 2020 and carers allowance stopped 8 weeks later leaving me with two and a half years before pension and then covid struck. Not much chance of a job for a 63 year old ex bar person and no hope of unemployment allowance either. I will be 65 this month so only another year to wait for pension although I do get a small, very small NHS pension now. So basically 5 years with nothing after stopping work to care for dad other than carers allowance for 20 months. Carers allowance worked out at 39p an hour when I was looking after dad and living with him 24/7

I also feel that nobody takes into account the after affects of being a carer either, you are just expected to go out and get a job and fit back into society like before when really you need some adjustment time especially with the covid situation.

I am lucky that I do have sufficient NI credits for a full pension.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Yes my OHs care agency give him 2 weeks free if in hospital and if longer than that they want 50% of the monthly care cost to keep your place open.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I'm a little younger than you, but yes, just another thing to worry about - on top of everything else! And no way on earth I am EVER doing a carers job, no matter how well qualified I now seem to be :eek:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, Im in a similar position. Another thing I worried about is that OH is still on the old DLA and I was frightened that when he was transferred to PIP he would get turned down and I would lose my CA and be expected to work. He has now reached state retirement age and Im keeping my fingers crossed that the DWP will let sleeping dogs lie - at least until I start getting my pension. I wont be eligible for CA then, so wont have to worry about losing it and I will be so much better off financially.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yes, Im in a similar position. Another thing I worried about is that OH is still on the old DLA and I was frightened that when he was transferred to PIP he would get turned down and I would lose my CA and be expected to work. He has now reached state retirement age and Im keeping my fingers crossed that the DWP will let sleeping dogs lie - at least until I start getting my pension. I wont be eligible for CA then, so wont have to worry about losing it and I will be so much better off financially.
@canary dad was on DLA and had been for years, I think there is a cut off age when you will stay on it and not be moved to PIP Dad was was 89 so he definitely qualified to stay on it. I think he had a lifetime award or something similar although I did have a hard time getting him onto the higher rate of the care component though.

Emmcee

Dec 28, 2015
I have looked at money being thrown around left right and centre this year and have known people that have been furloughed for 18 months and had been allowed to have a second full time job so had 2 full time wages coming in for all of that time.People had extra money thrown at them with universal credit,I think they got £80 extra.
To be honest it made me feel a bit bitter,I feel as if carers allowance is the forgotten benefit,the cost of living is going up(bills for heating greatly so) and carers allowance is remaining the same.
i'm not saying CA should have gone up because of covid,I'm saying that it should always have been at a higher rate.
That's my polite rant for the day,just to get it off my chest.
A justifiable rant methinks. Personally I think the whole system requires review. It would be interesting to see if anyone ever evaluates the physical, social, emotional and financial effects of Covid & lockdown on our PWD as well as the carers.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
***Sleep-deprived waffle warning***

One way of semi-rationalising the way carers are treated -- both employed and unpaid -- is that our form of government is not really about helping people directly. It's about stopping civilisation falling apart in order that people can help themselves, largely unhindered by war, crime and -- where practical in an infinitely expanding area of intervention possibilities -- ill health.

Despite appearances, humans are animals like lions or chimpanzees or mice... we just had a bit of luck with the opposing thumb and maybe a bit of a brain boost from LSD/mushroom consumption way back when we were experimenting with not hanging about in trees most of the time. Our incredibly complex and completely artificial modern environment shields us from this fact, thanks largely to the way we've been able to ruthlessly exploit global resources to build this 'civilisation'. As long as we find cheap energy to grow; as long as things improve for humans; as long as there's a background of stability, the illusion of wellbeing continues... even though we, all 8 billion or so of us, are rushing headlong towards the buffers of what this planet's capable of supporting.

But that's tomorrow's problem, eh? In the mean time, governments have to work out how to make sure we reach teatime.

The Romans had bread and circuses to take their mind off the strains on their complicated and increasingly unstable world. We have Eastenders, benefits and emergency measures. Civilisation is only three meals deep, and the petrol "crisis" proves just how much we rely on calm, predictable behaviour to keep our world stable. One sniff of a loo roll "shortage" and a relatively small change in behaviour leads to problems which our version of society is ill-equipped to deal with for long.

The Chinese can impose order with a very efficient authoritarian jackboot. We... well, we appeal to folks' better sensibilities, paint a Police car with a snazzy colour scheme, offer everyone affected a place on a counselling scheme to help them realise there's no need to stockpile or glue themselves to motorways, and we cross our fingers. And toes. And the ballot paper for the same old same old.

Or something like that. You'll have to excuse me, these days I very easily slip into some kind of grumpy old man idea that the world's gone soft, stupid and short-sighted. I blame it on not being allowed to watch The Sweeney. And being allowed to watch H.R.Pufnstuf, which was far worse for developing minds and definitely an LSD/mushroom thing.

Where was I? Oh, yes... the point. The point is that those inclined to be in the caring professions, and especially those who give up their lives, work and prospects to look after family members (the kind of natural but outdated concept humanity used to take for granted) are the very, very, very last people governments need to worry about in any kind of crisis. Our temperaments mean that we are less likely to be the go-getting, push-the-boundaries, risk-taking, GDP-boosting types that drive the world 'forward' in good times, and therefore much less likely to have a violently unpredictable nervous breakdown when things start to fall apart.

Our world fell apart already. We're used to it. And we don't have the energy to riot when we can't find sundried tomatoes or vodka in the supermarket.