carers and benefits

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
What happens when a carer ends caring and is of working age? I have to go to hospital now to get tests and i'm unable to work due to walking and balance problems. Will i qualify for any benefits? I got carers allowance. I don't no how long i will not be able to work. I also don't no if it will mean a operation or if they can fix my problem. Does anyone know? Surely i can't be on my own in this as a high percentage of carers get ill.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Chip, I imagine you will be eligible for Incapacity Benefit. The local benefits Office will be able to advise you.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear chip, what's the situation now with your husband? Have SS taken over his care, or did you manage to fight them?

I assume you only get carer's allowance as long as you are caring. I would think you'd then be on to unemployment benefit, unless you qualify for invalidity benefit.

I really don't know, but I very much doubt if there is any extra benefit for ex-carers. Citizen's Advice Bureau would be your best bet for information.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Not yet but still going on about Guardinship. But i said he should qualify for NHS continuing care and now SW agree but its up to the consultant now

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Chip

So sorry to hear about your own ill health. I am sure you should be entitled to Disablity Living Allowance. I would make an appointment at your local benefits office, and also make contact with CAB, I'm sure they can advise you.

Best wishes

Cate

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Chip,
I have no knowledge on your welfare system, but, would just like to wish you well for your health issues. I do hope that it isn't anything to serious and that your OK again real soon. Take Care. Taffy.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
chip said:
What happens when a carer ends caring and is of working age? I have to go to hospital now to get tests and i'm unable to work due to walking and balance problems. Will i qualify for any benefits? I got carers allowance. I don't no how long i will not be able to work. I also don't no if it will mean a operation or if they can fix my problem. Does anyone know? Surely i can't be on my own in this as a high percentage of carers get ill.

You can still get carer's allowance if you have "temporary breaks" in caring. For example, if you stop because you are ill. The Government site says:

if you receive medical or other treatment as an inpatient in a hospital or similar institution, your Carer's Allowance can be paid for up to 12 weeks in any 26 week period, depending on whether you have also had breaks from caring for other reasons

I don't know what happens if you are too ill to care, but are still at home.

Incapacity Benefit is a "contributions based" benefit, which means you need to have been paying National Insurance to receive it. People who receive Carer Allowance and who don't work don't pay NI, but they do receive NI "credits". I am not sure whether these count towards qualifying you to contributions based benefits or whether it is just things like State Pension. I think it is only State Pension.

However, this requirement is waived once you have been ill for longer than 28 consecutive weeks.

If you're unable to work/care in the longer term because you are in effect disabled then you would be able to claim Diability Living Allowance.

You could call the Benefits Helpline for advice - 0800 88 22 00. They will not have access to your records, but can provide general advice. You could explain your circumstances and see what they say.

You could also go to a Citizens Advice for help.

There is a lot of information here too:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...oBenefits/index.htm?cids=Google_PPC&cre=Money

You would need to notify the DWP of your change in circumstances. You do this by calling the Carer Allowance Unit on 01253 856 123.

They will be able to tell you how your Carer Allowance will be affected.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I have applied on line so will see. I have a feeling though i won't get anything even though i have had this since May last year and the Social Worker would not listen to me and now look whats happening. The thing is i don't no and nether do the doc's if it is repairable. But i am really hoping it is. But i no its going to be a long process maybe a op and then lots of physio i have 2cm a difference in muscle to bulid up and my good leg has went weak as well now. I have a feeling it will take about a year.
DLA will only be mobility if i get it and thats even less than carers allowance. I am very independant now and i try not to let it stop me even when i fall and have trouble getting up.
I still blame Social Services though as i wasn't listened to and only got 10hrs a week care in for my husband this will not have helped me. I exercise it every day in hope.
Will let you know once i have been to the hospital and get the results.
Keep well everyone.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Don't forget about Income Support. This benefit is for people "who do not have to be available to look for work". Examples given are lone parents, carers and people who are sick or disabled. Income Support is, however, affected by other income and by savings. For example if you have more than £16,000 in savings you can't get it at all.

Essentially, Income Support is Jobseeker's Allowance, but is for people who are exempted from the requirement to be "available for work".

It is very good that you are independent, but you should make it clear on the application forms about all the things you have problems with, espescially falls...

I see you have already sent in your application, did you get someone to help you with it?

The usual advice is to get someone who is experienced - they will know what to say and will probably think of things that you have not because you don't feel they are important or you ignore because you have become used to managing.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I did the form over the internet. Everything seems to be going wrong for us at the moment. For my son and i nothing is going right its just one thing after another. 2008 can only be better. We are strong though and will pull through.