Carers Allowancve

CLAIREDAY

Account on hold
Apr 22, 2015
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/polit...le-are-worried/ar-BBjBmil?ocid=U218DHP#page=4

I have noticed David Camaron may restrict carers allowance to people on Universal Credit.
I know a few people like me who are caring while being paid an occupational pension.
What should be taken in to account is if that person was not caring they may be able to get a job and have the salary in addition to the occupational pension.
You could get a situation where the offspring has a £30,000 a year occupational pension but might say I will get a job and just not care for the parent leaving the tax payer to pick up the bill if they are going to get no help financially.

Claire

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Steady on.

The rumour does not say 'axe', it only adds another restriction.

The same leaked memo suggested the Carer's Allowance could also be hit by restricting those eligible for Universal Credit,

Hope this is not considered political by the 'powers that be' but misreporting irks me.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Rumour has it AA allowance could be taxed as well, why not just reduce it?

That would have a negative impact on people whose total income is already below the income tax threshold as they would receive a lower amount if the gross value of AA was reduced. And they are the people who could least afford the reduction.

I do think though that if Carer's allowance is restricted there are likely to be fewer people who can afford to give up work to care for a relative, thus eventually increasing the number of people who need SS supported care. It wasn't very long ago that we were hearing praise from politicians for the army of carers, hope they remember that now.

Last edited:

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
I think it will be axed completely

The leaks that I have seen say that carer's allowance will be restricted to those who would be eligible for Universal Credit. I think that will exclude virtually all carers because by being eligible for universal credit you are all eligible for other support - pension credit or what used to be called income support.

I am very unhappy. I gave up paid work to care for my father and this money is my only income. I would not be eligible for Universal Credit because my husband works so not only does he have to content with having my Dad live with us he also has to pay to support us both.

I have no doubt I save the state a fortune. My father does not miss his medical appts, he is not reliant on Social Workers to keep him safe. The police have never had to be involved in finding him.

The think that really stinks is that alongside carer's allowance goes a pension entitlement and if I lose that I am stuffed because the govt changed the pension rules after I left work and I do not have a full pension entitlement.

Last edited by a moderator:

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
The leaks that I have seen say that carer's allowance will be restricted to those who would be eligible for Universal Credit. I think that will exclude virtually all carers because by being eligible for universal credit you are all eligible for other support - pension credit or what used to be called income support.

I am very unhappy. I gave up paid work to care for my father and this money is my only income. I would not be eligible for Universal Credit because my husband works so not only does he have to content with having my Dad live with us he also has to pay to support us both.

I have no doubt I save the state a fortune. My father does not miss his medical appts, he is not reliant on Social Workers to keep him safe. The police have never had to be involved in finding him.

The think that really stinks is that alongside carer's allowance goes a pension entitlement and if I lose that I am stuffed because the govt changed the pension rules after I left work and I do not have a full pension entitlement.

I so agree with you!! Also had to give up my very well paid job and carers allowance is all I get! My husband is retired but only has a small pension and I need the stamp which goes with carers allowance towards my own pension in the future. I am 52 ! We do save the government a hell of a lot of money by caring for your loved ones!!! Dread to think what will happen if they do this !

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited by a moderator:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Carer's Allowance is already a shambles.

You can't get it if your earnings less tax, NI, and pension contributions are more than £120/Wk. Note that income from private or occupational pensions are not classed as earnings and are excluded, receipt of these can however make CA taxable.

If you reach state pension age and opt to receive your pension you are excluded from CA. If you defer you State Pension you can get CA but you do not earn the normal pension increments.

With elderly married couple where one spouse is caring for the other, maybe 24/7, this means that CA is not available.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Pension entitlement should not disappear at a stroke

Whatever the financial circumstances of the person in receipt of carer's allowance I think that it would be very very unfair to remove the pension credit. Changes to pension should be phased in so that people have a chance to re-adjust.

At 56 this is critical to me. I have already had the goalposts shifted significantly and only just found out that I will not qualify for the flat rate pension.

lexy

Nov 24, 2013
Hello Claireday

Have you looked on the "Carer's UK" website, there is a lot of information on this site for carer's.

I don't think the government will stop Carer's Allowance but they may "find ways" to make eligibility for this benefit more difficult.:(

lexy

Nov 24, 2013

The BBC news investigation re Carer's Allowance does say that this benefit may be restricted to those eligible for Universal Credit, it suggests 40% of claimants would lose out saving the DWP £1bn.

It is one of several benefits under consideration, but I think it is a case of wait and see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet