Carers Allowance

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Learnt someting today which I'm rather cross over. I was told that I couldn't claim CA as I earned too much in my part-time job. I have now been told that if I increase my pension contribution by twice the amount between what I earn and what is allowed, I will then be able to claim. As half of your pension contributions are taken into account when working out your income.

Pity I wasn't told this 2 years ago!

Last edited:

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Jackie, can understand your annoyance.

There is a whole pot of benefits and allowances out there, but no one tells you how to access them.

IMHO this is where SW, CPNs and the like fall down. You are trying to do the very best you can, no one ever seems to point you in the right direction.

Maybe, just by raising this point, you will have helped someone else. I do hope so.

Thank you.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Jackie 1. I had the same problem in 2006/2007.

There is a solution which I will send to you. It is complex, completely legal and requires the assistance of the Company you work for.

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Thank you,
I have spoken to my pension provider and have agreed that I will set up an AVC, luckily this dosen't have to be too much. As my employer is a Local Authority I'm not sure how helpful they would be with other changes.

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Hi Chip, these are the numbers to ring 0800 882200 (helpline)or 01253 856123 (carers line).

The basic rules are that they must be looking after a person for at least 35 hours a week, the person cared for must at least be on the Middle rate for care, or get attendance allowance.

The is a paragraph which says" if you get carer's allowance or have underlying entitlement to carer's allowance, an extra amount called teh carer premium is added wjen we work out Jobseeker's Allowance of Income Support.

But I would recommend ringing them as they can advice much better that I can

Jackie

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
This reply is only linked to this thread by virtue of the title!

As most of you know I've finished work to care for my husband who has AD.
I rang re CA before Christmas for advice and they advised me to complete the application form on line as it would be dealt with more quickly(Christmas post etc)

This I did-along with an addendum to let them know when my last official working day would be..that was 07/01/08

I had a letter today telling me I cannot claim CA because I:eek:.. earn too much money..:mad:

Sure it's an oversight but it's just something else to sort out..and I can't do that until Monday..so I have to simmer until then.

I suppose it was all going too smoothly..:rolleyes:

Love Gigi xx

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
does anyone know if my son can claim carers allowance? He is on Job Seekers allowance.

You would need to look into this further but I do know that in order to claim JSA you need to be available for work. As Jackie says, you would be best ringing the DWP.

I am currently sweating over a hot essay on benefits but your question is not something that is covered unfortunately!

Last edited:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
hope they aren`t calculating it on the financial year Gigi.

Thanks Sylvia-hadn't thought of that-but the AS lady who pops in occasionally thinks I should be entitled..I think it's probably a mess up on their part but will find out Monday...also the guy I spoke to re applying for it said I should apply straight away so as not to lose benefit..we'll see!

I have a feeling in bones this is going to get complicated!!!:eek:

Love Gigi xx

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Gigi, they shouldn't take into account previous earnings for this financial year.

I was advised that they do their calculations week by week, or monthly if you were paid monthly. For example, my normal monthly earnings were under their threshold but if I did some overtime I would be pushed over the top. That meant I wasn't entitled to Carers Allowance for 4 weeks to cover the period I had been paid for.

You may not be able to claim until the period your last salary covered has expired.

Sorry it's a bit waffly - hope you get my drift!! Good luck with your claim.

Mary-Ann

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Gigi, they shouldn't take into account previous earnings for this financial year

Yes I was going to say that as they did ant do that to me.

This I did-along with an addendum to let them know when my last official working day would be..that was 07/01/08

May - be its just that they calculated your income on the day you made the claim so your income was to high.

They take into account any future
paid holiday, that you may of been
entitled to from work, but have not taken , but been paid for by your
employer when you left .

Just appeal against it
sure your get it as long as your not over 65 .

does anyone know if my son can claim carers allowance? He is on Job Seekers allowance.

(you have to make a Claim for
income support )

Then what happen you get carer allowance of £48.65 and income support top it up to £86.30 a week .

You have to tell Job seekers allowance that you are going to make a claim for carer allowance and income support , they stop the Job seekers allowance.

all money is back dated .

underlying entitlement

That only happen if your claiming incapacity benefit , you get an underlying entitlement of carer allowance .

if you receive CA then the person you care for cannot receive the Severe Disability Premium.
only if you get incapacity benefit, underlying entitlement of carer allowance .

when I stop getting incapacity benefit , they stop my mother getting Severe Disability Premium , because I stop getting underlying entitlement of carer allowance, was getting the full amount of CA .

They said I had a choice of getting Severe Disability Premium for my mother or full carer allowance, for me, but can't get the both .

So carer allowance was more money then Severe Disability Premium for my mother , so took carer allowance.

complicated or what ! , but simple when you learn your way around it , after it happen to you .

PS They another severe disability
benefit, (that is different benefit from Severe Disability Premium ) you would of had to be in the war, or work related accident to get severe disability
benefit.

Last edited:

towncrier

Oct 14, 2007
Lancashire
Do they make up these rules to discourage us from applying for benefits?
I canot claim carers allowance because I am in receipt of the State Old Age pension, or whatever its name has changed to now. The thinking behind this is that you cannot have two state benefits. Huh? There seem to be lots of things one might have, but can't.
A benefit my patient would qualify for if he lived alone would be the Pension supplement, but living with me disqualifies him as I have an occupational pension as well. Since the supplement exists because the basic old age pension is not regarded as enough to live on, this means that my earned and taxed savings which were designed for my own old age are effectively being confiscated to support him. I intend to lobby Parliament about this gross injustice, among my other complaints. Care to join me?
Seems to me social service structure is a macrocosm of the Alzheimer patient's brain. Large areas of disability due to accumulations of gunge, and the channels of communication between cells ineffective because of the tangle of nerve fibres curling up upon themselves insead of sending and receiving clear message. I think I feel another bitter poem coming on.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Last edited:

liny

Apr 17, 2008
Ormskirk Lancashire
brave lady

Hi Connie

I am a new member and have my husband at 58 with Alzheimers i am so worn out already and he is only in the early stages.

I have been reading your stories and know what i have to come. You take care of yourself because with out the carer the help would not be the same for your poor lovely husband

Love Liny
Jackie, can understand your annoyance.

There is a whole pot of benefits and allowances out there, but no one tells you how to access them.

IMHO this is where SW, CPNs and the like fall down. You are trying to do the very best you can, no one ever seems to point you in the right direction.

Maybe, just by raising this point, you will have helped someone else. I do hope so.

Thank you.

liny

Apr 17, 2008
Ormskirk Lancashire
allowances

Hi gigi

It is so annoying over carers allowance i have had to pack my job in to look after my 58 year old husband with Alzheimers and been finished 7 weeks ago and got no allowances yet what do they think i feed us and care for my poor husband with.

We carers dont get enough allowance as it is for all the hard work we do and yet the people on job seekers get looked after.

Regards and good luck Liny:
This reply is only linked to this thread by virtue of the title!

As most of you know I've finished work to care for my husband who has AD.
I rang re CA before Christmas for advice and they advised me to complete the application form on line as it would be dealt with more quickly(Christmas post etc)

I had a letter today telling me I cannot claim CA because I:eek:.. earn too much money..:mad:

Sure it's an oversight but it's just something else to sort out..and I can't do that until Monday..so I have to simmer until then.

I suppose it was all going too smoothly..:rolleyes:

Love Gigi xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Liny,

I got it eventually..after about 2months..and it was back dated so I didn't lose out..if you're not working then you are entitled to it.
I also think you're allowed to earn up to £90 a week and still claim CA.

Wishing you well

Love gigi xx