Carers Allowance

sonia owen

Hi All,

What do you have to do when your caring duties have ended. Our mum passed away on Sunday evening. I have so much to do, can't think straight without my list's of to do's. I will have to pay last Mondays payment back to them.

Best Wishes
Sonia Owen xxx

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi All,

What do you have to do when your caring duties have ended. Our mum passed away on Sunday evening. I have so much to do, can't think straight without my list's of to do's. I will have to pay last Mondays payment back to them.

Best Wishes
Sonia Owen xxx
Sorry to hear about your Mum Sarah.:(
When you have time (and the inclination) give the DWP a ring, they need to know about your Mum as well, and they will tell you what you have to do.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Sonia, I'm so sorry that your Mum died. This is such a strange time, because your inner timetable says you must be doing x,y or z and your brain says...but she's not here. I think Pete is correct and you should ring the DWP. They will tell you how much was paid in advance and if there is a refund due.
With Sympathy.x.x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Have you registered the death? There should have been an opportunity to sort out allowances and pensions, among other paperwork, then. When OH died last year I thought that service was the best thing. Sorted out his pension and AA, my pension (), his passport amongst other things. Saved me a lot of time and trouble. Sure they would do a Carers allowance as well.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Agreed Spamar. When we registered BILs death all his pensions, benefits etc were immediately informed. As I was dealing with his affairs any overpayments were invoiced to me within the following two weeks. I thought it was all very efficient.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Sonia, I am so sorry to hear your Mum passed away, please accept my condolences.
As others have said, the Registrar can complete a form to notify several agencies, and this does make it easier.
Please try to rest in between doing all the necessary tasks.Wishing you comfort in your loss and strength for the future.
xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Morning sonia owen
May I add my condolences too

Don't worry too much about the Carer's Allowance. I contacted the DWP when my dad went into his care home and the man I spoke to was lovely - I thought payments would have to stop immediately, but he pointed out to me that I had never had a break, and during the trial first month I still had lots of paperwork and caring to do, so told me to confirm when dad's stay was permanent - even then he stopped the payments from the following week.
So I found the DWP to be very understanding.

very best wishes to you

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I thought I read somewhere that you still get CA for four weeks after a death but I can't find it now.
Hope this helps.

7.2 If the person you are caring for dies, CA can continue to be paid for up to 8 weeks after their death. You will still need to satisfy the other rules. The 8 week period runs from the Sunday after the death, or from the day of the death if it occurred on a Sunday.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS55_Carer's_Allowance_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976