Carers allowance

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Wouldn't it be lovely if carers were paid a bit more,I have found I have spent a lot more money over the last few weeks as I have been buying what ever I can from the shelves of shops often more expensive items than I would have shopped for previously due to having to whats there rather than what I would usualy buy and have have had to shop at different more expensive stores, and may end up having to pay for delivery.
Visting carers are getting a pay rise next month of 50p an hour but carers allowance is still the same,it's a worry for me.

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Yes, that is a worry. Is there a service in England where you can phone in to check if any benefit entitlements are not being used? In my region (NI) it's called 'Make the call'.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
There is a Society Factsheet that may help and you can read/print that by clicking the 2nd line of the following link
Benefits (413)
PDF printable version

The system does seem to differ from NI and the following link takes you to the section of the Gov.uk site that deals with that

I hope that something there is of help.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Hi thanks I get everything I can unfortunately,I have to provide for my son that lives with me half of the time too,I know that there are a lot of people that are having a struggle and there are probably many in a worse position than me.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I'm going to risk getting lynched, but -- speaking as someone whose only income has been carer's allowance for the last three years -- now is not the time for the government to be worrying about us. If anything we're in a position of strength because we're used to living off a very limited income, and our money is 'creamed' off the rest of the productive economy.

That economy is currently on very, very shaky ground. Millions are facing their overstretched, undersaved, precarious lives with a sense of dread, wondering if they'll have any income at all tomorrow. Under normal circumstances I'd have little sympathy. When I started work, the first thing I did was save until I could survive for a while if that job went away.. I'd struggled with nothing before and I didn't want to be in that position again. And when I got my flat, I immediately started overpaying to ensure that secure accommodation couldn't be taken off me in a hurry if my life went pear-shaped.

Ok, not everyone can or should think like that, especially if they have a family to support, and I'm not looking for a Captain Smuggo medal for self-righteousness (a gold star will do). I'm just illustrating that I have no patience at all for the modern trend to spend, spend, spend and borrow, borrow, borrow, then expect the magic money tree to pay for any problems.

But now is different. UK PLC is having a heart attack and even if covid-19 blows over quickly (unlikely!) the damage caused by -- quite rightly -- shaking the magic money tree incredibly hard, all around the world, to stabilise societies will cause problems that could dwarf the problems after the financial crash in 2008/9.

Sorry to sound so negative or lecturing or... well, like a right twit, but now is a time for all of us to count our blessings, few though they might be as dementia carers. At the moment I'd rather the supermarket workers had a pay rise, because we're learning to appreciate them in a way we never used to.

I'm biased though. I spent 25 years filling shelves and although my spine was 'glad' to have an excuse to give it up to help my mother instead, I have never been so glad to be out of that business as I am now. At the same time I feel a bit like a retired nurse, feeling that I perhaps ought to be back with my old colleagues helping them at a time of extreme stress and exhaustion (well, for the conscientious ones anyway!)

Having said all that, I am in favour of a Universal Basic Income (at about the rate of current statutory sick pay) for all which replaces all benefits including ours. That would give us a big pay rise up to £94 a week. It's expensive in the short term, and recent experiments in other countries have failed, but the vast majority of the money spent administering all the million kinds of pension and benefits would be wiped away in an instant, so it's not all lose, lose.

Right, I'm shutting up now and going back under my rock. No, actually, I'm going out to check whether the frog in the garden's ok before Mum wakes up from her post-breakfast snooze. I upended a huge tub earlier and didn't notice the frog under it until I think I stepped on it. :-(

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Yes, I think you are right, let’s get over this first!!
Life is going to be very different afterwards and standards of living will drop.Debt has become a way of life.If this had happened ten years ago I would have been really challenged financially. My children are of the generation who just get a loan for things so will be a big shock

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was brought up like you @Andrew_McP - to make sure I had something to fall back on. It's got me through some difficult times, including having to live on a very reduced income after my husband left with with two kids to bring up alone and again while caring for my dad. The most important thing to me was to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table. Holidays were a rare treat but we enjoyed them more for it.

I wonder if this current experience will make people more cautious in future and they'll start saving up for things. I'm pleased to say my kids do but I think they're in a minority amongst their peers.