Carer's allowance


Registered User
May 30, 2008
Many apologies if this thread has done before. I'm currently unemployed and signing for job seeker's allowance but looking after my mother five days a week. We think her attendance allowance has come through but have recieved no confirmation. I've tried all sorts of places to find out if I'm entitled to carer's and housing benefits (have my own flat).

In the meantime I managed to bash my poor mother's head opening a stuck door and then sliced a gash in the palm of my hand which needed seven stitches......sheer frustration, broke a salad bowl.

Every day it seems to be too much but things keep getting worse. Woke up this morning to find my motorbike has been stolen.



Registered User
Oct 1, 2006
Dear Perpetua
Cannot offer much advice other than to ring the benifits office [but I would have thought you would have tried them] or the Alzheimers helpline and possibly CAB.
I would have thought you could get carers allowance but I am not an expert.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.


Registered User
Mar 27, 2008
Dear Perpetua

You can just ring up and find out whether your mum has been granted Attendance Allowance. It should be easy enough for someone to help you apply for Carers Allowance - I phoned a number on the application form (I think) and they sent someone to help fill in the form. As I'm self-employed it was a bit complicated.

I am so sorry about your motorbike being stolen - that is the pits.

Love Helen


Registered User
Jul 25, 2008
Hi Perpetua, interesting you brought this up, I've just applied online for this, check it out ;). Sorry about your run of bad luck, never rains but it pours eh?


Registered User
Feb 17, 2006
Go to your local Job centre where you sigh on , tell them that your looking after your mother full time now because she has dementia, so won’t be available for work so you can’t sigh on .

They should tell you when to stop sighing on. Then give you 2 forms to fill in Carer allowance income support form.

We think her attendance allowance has come through but have recieved no confirmation.

The number in that Link ring up telling them you just want to know how your mother claim for attendance allowance is coming along as you have not received any confirmation.

Must say that it is all long winded , but they do back date all the money from the date the claim was made .also for Carer allowance income support forms
Last edited:


Registered User
Feb 17, 2006
You may find that you can only claim one benefic at a time
This explain it better then I can

Carer's Allowance is the main state benefit for carers so it's important to find out if you can receive it. Carer's Allowance is currently worth £50.55 a week.You may also be able

to get the Carer Premium - an extra amount of money (up to £27.75 a week) included in the calculation of Income Support, income-based Job Seekers' Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Rent Rebate in Northern Ireland). An amount equivalent to the Carer Premium is used to calculate Pension Credit.

If you are awarded Carer's Allowance, find out whether you qualify for the Carer Premium or its Pension Credit

How to claim

If you meet the criteria, you can make a claim by filling in a claim pack DS700. Get this from:

* Your local Social Security office
* The Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200 (or 0800 220 674 in Northern Ireland)
* Carers in England, Scotland and Wales can claim online.
Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Latest member