Carers allowance

Brenda

Jul 21, 2004
Devon
Hi I am just having another whinge.
I recently applied for carers allowance as Mum has had attendance allowance for the last 18 months and although she doesn't live with us we spend a lot of our time with her and without her sorting out her life as well as ours. I duly received a letter confirming the vast amount of £44 allowance and have now found that Mum has had almost the same amount stopped from her severe disablement premium. This seems very unfair as the government to give me an allowance have stumped up an extra £3 a week. This must be all I am worth to them as a carer. No wonder people don't bother claiming. Now I find that I will have to have her finances reassessed because her present assessment on which she is charged for careworkers is based on her getting the extra disablement money. I am beginning to wish I hadn't bothered.

Brenda

Jul 21, 2004
Devon
Dear Nada
thanks for your reply. I decided to give my MP a miss as he is not standing at the next election and hasn't replied to previous emails sent him through the AD website so I went straight to the top and emailed the Prime Minister. Don't suppose it will do any good but I can but try.
Brenda

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Brenda
with the comming elections the time is right to play one party against the other!!
They will all be looking for votes.
I doubt the Prime Minister will ansdwer ,just send it back down the line.
Sorry to sound defeatist but I have had some politica daelings
Normanl

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Brenda, not sure how they make it work, but it seems that when you have one benefit in place, it kind of cancels out the other. This means that really you will only receive up to a pre-set amount for caring for your Mum, regardless of which benefit. The SDA is still there, although you can't have it as well as the attendance allowance. You have what is called "An underlying entitlement " to it. It's all crazy if you ask me, I too will be very interested to see if you get a reply. Good luck with it, love She. XX

Brenda

Jul 21, 2004
Devon
Hi
thanks for all your comments. Nothing from Tony Blair but being rather cynical I don't expect one but at least I have tried. If nobody ever complains about the unfairness of the situations facing carers and their loved ones nothing will ever change. I live in hope!!