Carers allowance swop & other Q's

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
Hi, This is my 1st post
A little background: I'm the youngest (51yrs) of 4 children & currently the carer for my father (80yrs), who is still reasonable active & independant (diagnosis Jan14 global atrophy) my father is fully acceptance of his condition, maintaining various social activities.
I'm living alone nearby in social (council) housing having moved out of my dads house sept 14 when accommodation became available and I was still working. But with the increasing number of appointments for assessments & doctors, I gave up work April this year running my own business to focus on his care, all the nessesary financial & legals are in place (LPA's etc) for my father and I manage my dads day to day living, cooking, cleaning paying the bills etc as I have access to his money.
With the support of the AS I've attended the CRiSP 1 & 2 courses, and currently I acompany my dad to the local memory cafe once a month.
I'm in receipt of carers allowance & have been in receipt since dads diagnosis. Around 50% of my rent etc is paid by the LA the rest I self fund with the help of family. However I'm not eligible for full rent support as I'm not eligible For IS due to a small pension & the CA taking me over the financial threshold.
My eldest brother who still lives with my father and is in his late 50's and does a minor supporting role as carer, is expected to be made redundant at the end of September and his prospects for further employment up to retirement age don't look good.
This leads me to my main point, we've mooted the idea of myself and my brother swopping roles, with him becoming the carer, and me resuming my career. (I had nil income from the business as it was a start up which is why I was able to claim CA). Assuming my brother has no savings, and is heading towards retirement, with minimal outgoings. Paying a small lodging allowance to my dad, he could effectively live much cheaper than I. Would it be a simple task for use to swop the named person as the carer in receipt of the allowance, or could both of use claim in the interim? I suspect my brother would also be eledible for income support if he becomes the carer which should negate his need to claim unemployment benefit, allowing him to focus on daily care of my father, with myself in the background dealing with the finances.
As I've done the CRiSP courses would either of them be suitable for my brother to gain some insight prior to diving in the deep end & becoming dads carer. As my fear is he may back out should he find it too much for himself, but if we take steps to swop roles switching the CA etc leaving us in limbo, assuming I've returned to work in the meantime

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I would call up the DWP and ask what the best procedure is. You'd have to agree on a date from which carers allowance should be ceased for you and started for your brother. I am guessing he will have to do a fresh application once yours is ceased (or before but they need to know that you will be ceasing or they'll turn him down straight away! You cannot claim at the same time for the same person.). Applications can be backdated three months so he will not have to apply straight away. And you can't start a claim on a mid-week date, it has to be a Monday. Any other benefits he can claim will depend on his financial circumstances.

CRISP courses are good but to be honest, every dementia patient is different so it would be best if he could learn from you as you've dealt with your dad before. He could observe you and ask questions?

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
During the initial process of getting help after diagnosis, the local AS arranged for a home visits from the DWP and various other sectors.
Attendance allowance was awared to my dad, & carers allowance was awarded to me, and carers credit was automatically awarded.
I`m aware that should my brother take over the caring role he`ll need to apply for both carers allowance and carers credit.
Should I resume work the same as before, I will be under the threshold for NI contributions, but having 30yr+ of contributions I doubt I will need to make alternative arrangements to meet min pension levels,

Last edited: