Carers allowance penalties

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice?

My MiL needs much more care since her husband died in January, and my husband is thinking of claiming Carers allowance, he does meet the criteria and provides more care than the required amount.

However her benefits took a while to sort out and I don't want him claiming Carers allowance mean her benefits are reduced.

She currently gets state pension + pension credit (savings and guaranted) + DLA higher rate (she is 78 and been on DLA years) + housing benefit, council tax allowance + small private pensions (her husbands) I think that's everything.

Her pension credit letter confirms nobody gets Carers allowance for looking after her, does anyone know how I can be sure she wouldn't lose out before my husband makes the claim?

Thanks in advance

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You can use the government benefit calculator (link below). As far as I know it's only availably if both people are under 65, so it might be attendance allowance he needs to claim.
I claimed CA on-line no problem, I printed off the questions (as if I was going to send it in by post) then found all the facts I needed then applied on line, it was a doddle, no issues at all and it was backdated to the day I gave up work. Also he can't claim if he earns more than £110 a week.
K

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/startcalc.aspx?e2dwp=y

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
There is a disability premium paid for people in receipt of pension credit.
My mother received it but when my sister claimed CA, my mothers pension credit was reduced by that amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
There is a disability premium paid for people in receipt of pension credit.
My mother received it but when my sister claimed CA, my mothers pension credit was reduced by that amount.

Thank you, yes that sounds familiar, it doesn't say she gets a disability premium in her pension credit paperwork, she only gets £6.59 guarantee and £14 savings credit, but that qualifies her for housing and council tax benefit which equates to a fair sum......it's so complicated, I want to be sure, maybe if I ring them up they may advise me.

Or maybe if I put all her income into a benefits calculator, then answer yes someone claims Carers allowance??? See if it drops.

I know it's not a straight forward answer.

My husband is eligible to claim as he earns less than £110, he reduced his hours to allow him the time to see to his Mum.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
It doesn't sound as if your mum is receiving the severe disability addition, it's around £62 per week.
I think it's the guarantee pension credit that opens the door to housing and council tax rebate, good that she has that.
I would ring to clarify things before putting in a claim for CA, as you worry, you need to know it wouldn't affect her entitlement to those two rebates.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix