Carers allowance paid after nearly 2 years.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Just a quick question to the forum. I was receiving carers allowance for my mother-in-law from 2016 until she went into care in August 2018. I informed the DWP that she had gone into care and told them that I no longer wished to claim. The DWP kept paying me for another 4 weeks. Mother-in-law passed away 6 weeks after going into care, two weeks after the last payment. I thought no more about it until today ,checking my currrent account to find DWP has paid me 6 weeks worth of carers allowance, some 20 months after my mother-in-law's demise. I can't find anything on the government website that might explain this

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Just a quick question to the forum. I was receiving carers allowance for my mother-in-law from 2016 until she went into care in August 2018. I informed the DWP that she had gone into care and told them that I no longer wished to claim. The DWP kept paying me for another 4 weeks. Mother-in-law passed away 6 weeks after going into care, two weeks after the last payment. I thought no more about it until today ,checking my currrent account to find DWP has paid me 6 weeks worth of carers allowance, some 20 months after my mother-in-law's demise. I can't find anything on the government website that might explain this

@Rosettastone57 I would give them a ring, it is possible that they owed it to you somehow although it seems a long time ago. I was payed for 8 weeks after dad died and I think that is the norm. If your MIL was still entitled to DLA or attendance allowance then that might be why they have paid it but I would ring them and ask for a written explanation of how the money has been made up. They should do this as I got a written statement of what they had payed me and why.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
After spending some time waiting on the phone, I gave that up and have now asked for an explanation via their online service. It could be extra money after mother-in-law passed away that I would be entitled to, or it may be the money should have been paid to someone else and it's a mistake. I wonder how long it will be for a response.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Letter arrived from DWP, telling me they had reversed their decision from 2018 after my mother-in-law passed away and I was due the money. As I don't know what the original decision was, I'm none the wiser.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
I understand from your previous posts that your mother-in-law was self funding, in which case it seems that you may have been entitled to continue to receive carers allowance while she was in residential care and for 8 weeks after her death, which would account for why they have now paid you six weeks money that was owed to you.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I understand from your previous posts that your mother-in-law was self funding, in which case it seems that you may have been entitled to continue to receive carers allowance while she was in residential care and for 8 weeks after her death, which would account for why they have now paid you six weeks money that was owed to you.
Hi @Quite contrary yes, that would appear to be the case. I have spoken to the carers unit now and asked why it has taken so long, nearly 2 years since my mother in law went into care. The gentleman apologised but said that the DWP and carers unit have been overwhelmed with applicants since the covid crisis and the cases that needed to be closed were simply pushed back. They acknowelge that my lack of payment was a gross oversight on their part and in fact, I didn't realise I was entitled to the payments after her death . What with everything else after my mother in law passed away, carers allowance wasn't exactly at the forefront of my mind, so I never thought any more of it. What's concerning is how many other people are potentially missing vital funds.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
I agree! Government departments are not known for making it easy for people to know what they are entitled to, although very quick to claim any overpayments. I found the information from a carers information website. How lovely that you now have a bit of extra money that you were not expecting and do hope that you can do something nice with it for you. I am sure mother-in-law would have like to know that - a kind of gift from her in a way.