1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

    Sign up to join the community, or Log in if you're already a member.

    If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

carers allowance - 35 hours

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Gary2, Oct 12, 2017.

  1. Beate

    Beate Registered User

    May 21, 2014
    Crikey, so much soul-searching. Of course the care can be done over a weekend! It doesn't say anywhere that you have to do a certain number of hours a day, just per week.

    "You must provide 35 hours of care for every week you claim Carer’s Allowance (the 35 hours can be at any time of the day or night). For Carer’s Allowance, a week runs from Sunday to Saturday. You cannot average out your hours over a number of weeks. However you are allowed certain breaks in care (you can see more information on breaks in care here)."

    I think you're all overthinking this massively. It doesn't matter in the slightest where the rest of the care per week comes from. AA is given for a perceived need, whether that need is currently met or not. Plus the OP tells us that a care package from SS is about to be put into place, so stop arguing how often he should turn up at his Dad's house. As long as he puts 35 hours in a week (and they don't all have to be done in the cared for's presence) then he'll be eligible. Especially as they don't even ask for a breakdown of hours, so they can't be that fussed about detailed proof.
  2. Rosettastone57

    Rosettastone57 Registered User

    Oct 27, 2016
    I agree totally with Beate. I claim carer's allowance for my mother-in-law who is on the upper rate of attendance allowance. She already has a care package in place which is self funded and all my 35 hours a week takes place mainly over a weekend or two evenings in the week . Including doing other necessary things to keep her Independent in her own home. That includes laundry, power of attorney matters, shopping, sorting out appointments for the dentist ,the doctor, liaising with the care agency, in fact so many things I have lost count. I do all of this to keep the pressure off my husband who works full time and doesn't want to spend the weekend dealing with his mother. I filled in the DWP form outlining the care I was giving with the details above over a weekend and there seems to be no problem at all with this being accepted. No one's asked for proof about how many hours I've turn up to at the weekend or in the evening or whether I have to rush out of the moments notice because the carelink want to check the equipment. If I was to add up all the phone calls I received this week or make personally to facilitate my mother in laws independent life it would probably run into several hours.

    So I would think claiming your travel expenses should be included. I only live 10 minutes drive away from my mother-in-law but if you're willing to spend four hours driving to sort this out then good luck to you. The DWP can only say no but what have you got to lose
  3. Gary2

    Gary2 New member

    Oct 12, 2017
    Many thanks to Beate and Rosettastone for both their wisdom and understanding.

    I had a quick glance at the legislation - which refers to "engaged in caring for someone" as opposed to for example the "provision of care". [which is not mentioned]" Caring for someone has a much more wider meaning and a common dictionary definition makes it analogous to "looking after." There is probably a social security decision somewhere on this very issue....

    I wouldn't make an application immediately though as I am keen to get Dad's care package in place - and as to how my current informal care fits into that. Initial discussions from his Social Worker suggests that when I am with him - the morning visit from carers should remain (medication/dressing/washing) with me taking over the remaining day/evening visits and additional work.
  4. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    BTW, no-one has mentioned (so I will) that Carers Allowance is supposed to compensate some-one for being unable to work due to their caring duties - this is why you get NI payed if you are receiving CA - so you are only allowed to earn up to £110 a week. This may not be relevant for @Gary2, but I thought I would point this out for clarity.
  5. Pete R

    Pete R Registered User

    Jul 26, 2014
    I do not believe CA is solely intended to compensate someone for being unable to work. If that was the case then the weekly amount should be in the region of £260.:eek:

    You can claim CA even if you are wealthy or have a private pension. It is a non means tested benefit for those that provide care. Simple as that.

  6. LadyA

    LadyA Volunteer Host

    Oct 19, 2009
    Just for comparison, these are the criteria for non resident Carers here to qualify for Carer's Allowance. Usually, you must live with the person you are caring for, because to qualify at all for Carer's Allowance here (which is just over €200 per week), you must be providing full time Care and attention, i.e. you can't be working as well.

    - Residency requirements

    The Carer must live with the person being cared for. In certain limited circumstances this requirement may be relaxed.

    The following guidelines will apply when eligibility for Carer's Allowance is being considered for a non-resident carer.

    1. A carer must be providing full-time care and attention.
    2. A carer's personal circumstances must be suitable to allow him/her to provide full time care and attention.
    3. All non-resident care situations may require investigation by a Social Welfare Inspector before consideration by the Deciding Officer.
    4. A direct system of communication must exist between the carer's residence and that of the care recipient. This may be a telephone or alarm type system.
    5. The care recipient must not already be receiving full-time care and attention within his or her own residence from another person.
    You are allowed to work for up to 15 hours per week, but you can't leave the person alone (because they require full time care and attention!). You have to make "adequate provision" for their care while you are out.
  7. Saffie

    Saffie Registered User

    Mar 26, 2011
    Near Southampton
    #27 Saffie, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    I don’t see anyone arguing. Just people trying to make sense of what I would imagine is a slightly unusual situation. There can’t be that number of carers living four hours away from the person for whom they are providing the care but if the powers that be accept that this is no problem then there is no question to answer. I would assume that provision is being made for the emergencies we all know can happen.
  8. Gary2

    Gary2 New member

    Oct 12, 2017
    Alarm system in place/keyholders organised/ alarm monitoring station has me a secondary responder. Obviously not first responder. Long distance monitoring is fairly easy these days. I get phone calls to increase/lower house temperature. Technically it is very easy. - Constraints are ethical/privacy. In my understanding, Carers Allowance is not for 24/7 wrap around care. If an individual required that level of support a care home may be more appropriate. Obviously part of caring is risk management and its relationship to independent living.
  9. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    Agreed that the amount paid is pitiful and there have been campaigns to have the amount increased to fully reflect the true cost, but it is intended as compensation for not working - thats why your NI is paid, you are not allowed to earn more than £110 a week and it stops once you start getting state pension. You are right that you can have other means of income (like a private pension being paid out) and you can have any amount of savings - you are just not allowed to have earnings from work over £110 a week.
  10. Beate

    Beate Registered User

    May 21, 2014
    Is £116 now after tax. Not much difference of course but best to have the correct amount here.
  11. Gary2

    Gary2 New member

    Oct 12, 2017
    This is all good stuff - but I made clear within my original post that I was otherwise entitled to carers allowance - my question was narrowly defined in relation to what constituted 35 hours of [caring] and whether travel could be included. Might be a moot point as on reflection a good number of hours is achieved away from his house.
  12. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    Yes Gary, I was aware that you were probably not working (although you didnt specifically say) which is why I said it may not be relevant to you. I just put that in for clarity for anyone else reading.
  13. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    Thank you for that, Beate. I hadnt realised that the amount had gone up.
    Every little helps :)
  14. Slugsta

    Slugsta Registered User

    Canary is correct in stating the CA is classed as a 'wage replacement benefit' in the same category as ESA, JSA and State Retirement Pension (for instance). A claimant can only receive one of these benefits at a time (although there is a complication system of allowances and premiums for people on income-related benefits).

    Again, this is not directly relevant to the OP but could help someone else reading the thread.
  15. Shedrech

    Shedrech Volunteer Host

    Dec 15, 2012
    I was interested in this question so contacted CarersUK and they kindly gave a detailed reply which is here in full as the info may help others in the future:

    Carer’s Allowance is the main benefit for carers. It is not a means tested benefit and is currently paid at a rate of £62.70 per week. You may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you meet the following conditions:
    • You look after someone who gets a qualifying disability benefit (Disability Living Allowance at either the middle or highest rate for personal care needs; the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (at either rate); Attendance Allowance (at either rate); or Constant Attendance Allowance (of the normal maximum rate) paid with the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions schemes);.
    • You look after that person for at least 35 hours a week;
    • You are aged 16 or over;
    • You are not in full-time education;
    • You earn £116 a week (after deductions) or less;
    • You satisfy the UK presence and residence conditions.
    I have attached our information booklet on Carer’s Allowance. This goes through each condition in detail at pages 3-7.
    You must provide 35 hours of care for every week you claim Carer’s Allowance to be eligible (the 35 hours can be at any time of the day or night). For Carer’s Allowance, a week runs from Sunday to Saturday. You cannot average out your hours over a number of weeks. So for example if you only care every other week end you would not be able to care for enough hours to reach 35 hours in each week.
    The 35 hours can include:
    * time spent physically helping the person
    * time you spend ‘keeping an eye’ on the person, eg preventing them coming to harm by walking out of the house
    * time spent doing practical tasks for the person, eg cooking
    * time taken doing practical tasks, even if you don’t do them in the presence of the person, may also count (for instance, if you look after someone who visits you regularly for the care they need, time spent preparing for the visit or cleaning up afterwards should count)
    However time travelling to get to the person you care for would not be counted as time caring.
    If you claim Carer’s Allowance, it will not normally affect the benefit of the person you look after. But there is an important exception. If the person you're looking after receives a 'severe disability premium', which is paid within means-tested benefits such as Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseekers Allowance, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction, they will lose this premium if you are paid Carer’s Allowance. If the person you look after receives a 'severe disability addition', which is paid as part of Pension Credit, they will lose this addition if you are paid Carer’s Allowance.
    The severe disability premium/addition can be an extra £62.45 per week. It is paid as part of means-tested benefits to people who:
    • Receive Attendance Allowance, the middle or highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment, and
    • Live alone (there are exceptions to this); and
    • No one is receiving Carer’s Allowance for looking after them.
    I have attached our ‘Looking after someone’ guide to this email which I hope is useful to you. The guide provides an overview of carers’ rights and outlines a broad range of support.
    You may find it helpful to contact a local carers centre, our website has a local carer’s centre search: http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/get-support/local-support as does The Carer’s Trust website: http://www.carers.org/carers-services/find-your-local-service

Share This Page