Carer

lonewolf50

Dec 12, 2015
Hello l am a carer for my mum and have been since my dad passed away 5 yrs ago..She has heart problems, diabetes, diverticulitis and recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's as was my dad..
Over the years l have become more isolated as friends have come and gone. that's why l decided to join this forum..
I really am unsure what else to say, my conversation skills have also diminished

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Welcome lone wolf you will meet lots of us here who are lonely and isolated. But we come here to talk to people who understand and who will encourage and support you.
Don't worry about the conversational skills, they will return with practice.
Just say what you want to say, as much or little, there will always be someone to listen.
Keep posting
Bemused

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hello welcome to TP. you will find lots of support and everyone is friendly on here. I found locally that my carers cafe once a month kept me ticking over. Just used to go for a coffee and a listen and then later a chat and now I volunteer. Do you have anything like that near to you?

Lovely to meet you xxxx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Could you ask for a carers assessment by phoning your local social services. They should be suggesting day care at least once a week for your Mum to give you a break and should have a list of groups in the area for both of you to meet other people. We always get a laugh from our singing group.

I have not been able to attend a course for carers but I know some younger people who find it very supportive and have made friends through it. Your social worker should be aware of your isolation and looking for ways to help you.

Gardie

Oct 20, 2015
They are there to help!

Could you ask for a carers assessment by phoning your local social services. They should be suggesting day care at least once a week for your Mum to give you a break and should have a list of groups in the area for both of you to meet other people. We always get a laugh from our singing group.

I have not been able to attend a course for carers but I know some younger people who find it very supportive and have made friends through it. Your social worker should be aware of your isolation and looking for ways to help you.

I have had an assessment by the Social Services and they have surprised me in saying that my mother is entitled to a carer daily to help with the dressing and washing of my mother and to assist in any other jobs around the house. I am also looking to arrange for a carer to sit with my mother so it gives my father a break to do what he wants to do... So do give it a go and you will be surprised what help is out there.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Lonewolf, I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to TP. I'm 47 and look after Dad who's got lots of health issues but also recently diagnosed with Vascular Dementia. You can pop in and out of the forum as often or as little as you like so please do post some more when you have the time. Even just comparing days or moaning helps to keep us all sane:)