Carer Visits-acceptable timing

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have asked for a rota but I was told that it was confidential so as it stands, I'm unable to plan any activities for Mum.

Some of you have mentioned emergency situations. I've covered this by telling the agency to call me if they have a problem. Mum and I don't live together but I can easily step in to cover her care.
Do you have LPOA? I do and I read dad's notes. Email the doctor and arrange appointments. If I want to take dad out I cancel the shift. I do it a couple of days before then I don't get charged.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
have asked for a rota but I was told that it was confidential so as it stands, I'm unable to plan any activities for Mum.
This really surprises me. I get an email with the rota for my OHs carers telling me who is coming and at what time. Its sent out on a Friday for the following week, Monday to Monday.

Nominally I have asked for a 10 am slot to get him washed, dressed, shaved and cetraban cream on his skin, but the time on the rota can vary by quite a lot. Yesterday the carer was on the rota for 8.45 and today it was 11.15. The carers do arrive pretty much on the time according to the rota and fortunately, as I have the rota, I can plan things around it.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
The confidentiality excuse makes little sense to me. When my partner was at home and in need of care I asked social services to send a new care agency twice after being messed around too much. The final one always sent a rota to our flat. I registered POA with them, but there should surely be a copy sent to your mum's house that you can look at. Good luck sorting it out @My Mum's Daughter.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH care visits were contracted to within 15mins either way.
If they were going to be outside those hours they would ring me. If they wanted to change the hours for any reason they were supposed to ring and ask first, that didn't always happen but on the whole it all worked pretty well and if I said no for whatever reason they would make sure someone arrived on time.
How can they expect your mum to be waiting for them all day. That is not acceptable so I would expect some form of scheduling to be sent to your mum.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law's agency always sent out a rota in advance of who and when staff were expected. I'm not sure how this is confidential

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My mother in law's agency always sent out a rota in advance of who and when staff were expected. I'm not sure how this is confidential
The rota that staff recieve will be the one that rolls off the printer- go to client A at ... Client B at..... Client C at....

i'd imagine it would take quite a while to pick off each client from each staff members rota and collate the info the other way, for the client

Possible I suppose, makes more work for the agency

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The rota that staff recieve will be the one that rolls off the printer- go to client A at ... Client B at..... Client C at....

i'd imagine it would take quite a while to pick off each client from each staff members rota and collate the info the other way, for the client

Possible I suppose, makes more work for the agency
The agency we use has computerised schedules. The person organising the rotas only has to input the data once and the computer will send each individual carer their rota via an app on their smart phone. The computer will also send each client their rota via email. It is all automated. If the client doesnt have a computer then the agency will print off their rota and send it through the post.

PS I know this is true because I was curious (aka nosy) and once asked one of OHs regulars how it worked.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The Banjoman had three different care agencies over a couple of years.
I was sent a weekly timetable by all of them but only one company arrived almost always on time. They were also the most intractable about changing a visit to accommodate hospital appointments etc. which made things harder for me.
Every new firm had to try to fit in The Banjoman’s care visits with their established clients’ rotas so at one point he had a similar timing as @My Mum's Daughter - breakfast at 11.00.a.m. and lunch at 12.30 - 1.00.p.m. Then they wondered why he didn’t want any lunch!

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
All the c are companies I have come across have a folder which is left at the clients house with every call recorded including time in and out and what was done so any carer can look at what has been done. It doesn't help with getting regular times but you can read it to get a better picture of what is happening.

Tonyjoe

May 31, 2022
I had this discussion with the care agency. My wife's body clock is completely out due to her alzheimers. She will bexawake all night and get up about 2, 3 or 4 in the afternoon.
The carers told me they have a strict visit schedule -
Morning breakfast
Midday lunch
Evening supper, last visit before 6pm.

This was no good to us

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Unbelievably, the reason given for this confidentiality is that other clients won't accept visits from some of the carers. I suspect that the true reason is, they realise that visits with daft timing would be cancelled and not just by me. If we give 48 hours notice then the visits aren't charged so the agency's pocket would be hit.

I can't carry on like this so it looks as though we're going to have to change care companies.

Frank24

Feb 13, 2018
Are you able to access mum's carers notes online? I did and it was usually the only way I knew if something was wrong or a visit was missed/late. Despite asking them repeatedly to call me if anything was wrong, they rarely bothered. They didn't even have the decency to phone me to tell me when they found her dead. I read it in her care notes.
Oh my god. I’m so sorry to read this

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Unbelievably, the reason given for this confidentiality is that other clients won't accept visits from some of the carers. I suspect that the true reason is, they realise that visits with daft timing would be cancelled and not just by me. If we give 48 hours notice then the visits aren't charged so the agency's pocket would be hit.

I can't carry on like this so it looks as though we're going to have to change care companies.
I know this is a couple of months old thread, but I'm curious as to what happened?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513