Carer support pack

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
I've just done a traul for information to support carers in my area and I came across this great information pack. It is a very general resource(it includes info about all sorts of mental illness) and also includes information that is local( and national) to my area. However, it does contain lots of advice for carers that may be dealing with issues for the first time e.g.meeting with medics, social workers etc. It also includes practical information about how to deal with difficult behaviour and symptoms which are highly relevant to carers of dementia sufferers. It also includes a section on asking for a carers assessment from social services.

http://www.southwestyorkshire.nhs.uk/documents/567.pdf

It is quite a long document but it is clearly set out and easy to read. Some people may find it useful, especially when suddenly finding themelves in a caring role. It may be that other authorities have a similar booklet available.
Hope this is helpful to somebody
I could have really done with this along time ago!
hendy

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That's a very worthwhile packet. What a pity that all the NHS trusts don't produce something similar.

Thanks for sharing it.

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
WOW....thats ACE Hendy ....thank you! I for one will find that a big help. Ive met a lovely lady today from Crossroads....she's getting an hour a days free help for dad.WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!:D Im so happy and relieved I could jump for joy!

I've been so lucky, because all I had to do was mention it to a fabulous clinical Psychologist who comes in to work, and she made some phone calls and referred him, I didnt have to do a thing...how lucky is THAT????!:D

Theres been a couple of really sad posts on here today andmy heart aches for them. I feel guilty about my relief, but I can't help it. Things have been so bad and this feels like such a breakthrough.
I wish I could be as helpful as you and some of the others on here. When things have settled a bit with dad I am going to do some serious research on the stats for this disease. I think there are some real inadequacies in certain areas, especially help with funding etc.
Anyway, thank you for the doc. Hendy...its going to be very useful.:)x

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Hi Zoe
Thanks for your reply, hope you find the pack useful. It was sad yesterday,i have to admit i've shed a tear or two. It really is an emotional experience reading the posts on TP, but I feel it gives me some strength and direction. Looking after a relative with dementia is so isolating. People are at first sympathetic, but unless they've really been there, they just can't possibly understand. I've been dealing with it for 5 years and I think it could go on for another 5 years at least!

You're right there are inadequacies, they are everywhere when dealing with this horrible disease. It can get you down. I think its a good idea to do a study of the Stats, and let us know on TP. I have decided that I'm going to be a bit more proactive too. I think its good to get it out of your system and feel like you can do something that makes a difference to somebody. Or at least try to
take care
hendy

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Hello Hendy, and many thanks for another valuable resource to add to our knowledge. The more we know the better for us!! Don't be too sad Hendy but think of TP as a place where we do read and experience ourselves terrible things but we also read of triumphs and come across people who are the most weonderful, courageous people. I for one am glad that this present time of my life has allowed me to be in contact with such people.

Pat yourself on the back and tell yourself truthfully that you are a most valuable, caring and loving person who is doing a wonderful job in the face of great adversity. It is people like yourself who keep me wanting to be active and trying in my own miniscule way, to make things better for all of us. Slowly, slowly catche monkey - is the phrase which comes to mind.
xxTinaT