Carer refusing vaccination!

St. Lucia

Feb 21, 2021
I feel you need to follow your gut instinct. If you want that caretaker to have the vaccine then find someone who has had it.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
the Oxford AstraZeneca is a conventional vaccine using an inactivated cold virus. All the vaccines, whichever method they use, have been through stringent trials and approved by medicines agencies.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
For me, the vaccination decision was extremely easy. All I had to do, was consult my friend who IS qualified to give advise. As I have know her for 50+ years, she has my complete trust.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please read this latest information

Brizzle

Mar 1, 2019
I am in a similar situation with my mother’s live in carers. When I ask if they have been vaccinated I get the, “ I have been contacted but haven’t got around to booking my appointment yet” response. It’s been like this with the two main carers for a number of weeks now. In truth I think what they really mean is that for reasons undisclosed they are either too frightened or not prepared due to other reasons to have the jab. There are other carers visiting my mum who cover the live in carers breaks 3 times a week and I can only guess if they have had their jabs.

My mum has had her first jab about 4 weeks ago. Other than the carers only my brother and myself visit her. My brother has just been vaccinated and I am getting my first jab this coming Friday. I am in a dilemma concerning her main carers not being vaccinated, particularly since her health is deteriorating with age. Two weeks ago she spent a week in hospital with a bad chest infection.

After privately funding mum had to move over to social services support three months ago and had to change her live in care company to a smallish local operation . I intend to speak with the Lady owner regarding my concerns but since my mum is not totally self funding anymore and the council is funding approx 75% of the cost I am in a pretty powerless position really.

If she confirms that mum’s carers are exercising their rights not to have the vaccination then I will politely ask if my mum can exercise “her rights” to have vaccinated carers looking after her instead, Trouble is as previously mentioned they are a small company so I am not sure if this will be possible. I may well have to go back to social services to express my concerns and try to put some pressure on them to provide an alternative care company who will provide vaccinated carers. The chances of them paying more to a new company are probably pretty slim but extraordinary times and circumstances and a fundamental duty of care should in my opinion entail them doing this.

The odds are really not in mum’s favour but I am certainly going to at least put social services in the awkward position of knowing that their appointed care provider is not sending vaccinated carers , should that continue to be the case after talking with the owner. Ironically mum’s previous main live in carer who we are still in touch with from time to time has had her jab along with 100% of all her co-workers.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
Hardly any point saying this but if they still dont know if jabs stop transmission, its irrelevant if others have it. The person who gets it will apparently have 90% protection though this does seem to change daily

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
They are saying now that one dose gives good protection from serious illness, and gives some protection from transmission too.
It was interesting to hear Chris Whitty on one of the briefings last week say that he considered it their professional duty for Health and social care staff to be vaccinated so they are helping to protect the vulnerable in their care.
If there is a medical reason , then of course , they should be exempt, but if they are merely choosing not to be vaccinated (although this is their right), perhaps staff need to think more about the risks to those in their care.
It annoys me that for months family have not been allowed indoor visits to care homes because we were considered a "risk" to residents and staff, but now there are staff not being vaccinated who are a "risk" to residents, but are still allowed to continuing working in the home, giving personal care etc.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
However it is still not known whether those who have received the vaccination within the clinically vulnerable category and who have impaired immune system which may include some looked after clients can develop, or to what extent, antibodies to covid. Antibody testing post vaccination is not currently generally offered. Studies will probably happen in time I know of one taking place. So visiting carers or care home staff should, imo, do all they can through vaccination to continue to protect their clients who may have impaired immunity until more is known. Within the vaccine stats there seems to be a suggestion that for a small minority there is still a risk that they will develop serious illness so for that minority as well, carers should want to try to protect them through having the vaccine themselves. I really struggle to understand their reluctance if there is no medical reason.

Last edited: