carer of parent with dementia

treasamac

Sep 27, 2017
Hi I am looking after my mum who is 92 and with dementia I am with her 24-7 I am nother coping at all just any thing I do is not helping what else is there to do she is shouting she is choking and dying as I write this is feel so helpless her medication is not helping and as she is sleeping badly I am tired all day anyesterday advice would be good thanks

Last edited:

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Good afternoon treasamac,a warm welcome to Talking Point,so sorry you seem to feel overwhelmed at the moment 24/7 caring even for a short while can be exhausting, have you thought about some respite? in order for you just to have a few days space and recharge...have a chat with mum's doctor,better still,if you are able make notes on the difficulties you are having and drop that in,ask the reception desk for a call back from doctor regarding this, or an appointment,the doctor should be able to advise and possibly do a referral to social services and start to get the wheels in motion for practical help, you can contact social services direct but a gentle "nudge" from mum's doctor, tends to speed things up.
Do keep posting whenever you feel the need,much support and understanding here.
Take care
Chris