1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

carer of parent with dementia

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by treasamac, Sep 27, 2017.

1. treasamac

treasamac New member

Sep 27, 2017
    #1 treasamac, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Hi I am looking after my mum who is 92 and with dementia I am with her 24-7 I am nother coping at all just any thing I do is not helping what else is there to do she is shouting she is choking and dying as I write this is feel so helpless her medication is not helping and as she is sleeping badly I am tired all day anyesterday advice would be good thanks

2. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Good afternoon treasamac,a warm welcome to Talking Point,so sorry you seem to feel overwhelmed at the moment 24/7 caring even for a short while can be exhausting, have you thought about some respite? in order for you just to have a few days space and recharge...have a chat with mum's doctor,better still,if you are able make notes on the difficulties you are having and drop that in,ask the reception desk for a call back from doctor regarding this, or an appointment,the doctor should be able to advise and possibly do a referral to social services and start to get the wheels in motion for practical help, you can contact social services direct but a gentle "nudge" from mum's doctor, tends to speed things up.
    Do keep posting whenever you feel the need,much support and understanding here.
    Take care
    Chris