Carer not following care plan

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
Hi everyone, I'm in need of a shoulder I guess. My dad with Alzheimer's lives with mum. Both mid 80's.

I popped in today for a couple of hours after the carer had left. My mum had had to clean up poo that was spread about the bathroom after my dad had removed his pully ups and spread it all over. (Sorry for giving you this image) this was before the carer had been.
The carers came in originally to put him in the shower but the care plan was changed a few weeks ago to include foot care (talc that's all) putting on cream to his dry area an to help make the bed if it needs to be changed.
Today when I went into the room there was both urine and poo in the bed. Im not sure if he puts the cream on or not.
I'm really quite anxious that my elderly mum is being made to deal with this on her own or she leaves it also and my dad is left not properly cared for. It is impossible for me to go every day. I wish it wasn't but it is.

My mum doesn't want to make a fuss. There are very few male carers and if we complain the carers may not come at all. I sort of agree with her. I basically felt the need to rant. I feel totally unable to do anything about this and very vulnerable.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Sounds like your mum is doing the work anyway, so what use is the carer. I think you should talk to the agency, maybe first though go to parents home when carer is there, just to see whats going on.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
There are several different carers that go round. One is excellent and does everything and I trust him totally. There are a couple of others who are ok but one who seems lazy and quite difficult to be honest. They all do get my dad into the shower so that's marvelous. My mum can't manage that. My dad just argues with her yet does whatever the carers ask. It's just the finer detail and the fact that she is being left to strip and remake his bed when it's on his care plan for the carer to do it.
I got this put on the care plan when it was reviewed last time. She isn't in the best of health herself but like most of us, just gets on with it when presented with no alternative. She doesn't want to upset anyone, get anyone into trouble or lose the care that he actually is getting. Male carers are difficult to come by as it is. This is the vulnerability of it all.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
One bad apple, what a shame. I suppose he knows male carers are far and few. No pride in his work I guess.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513