Carer introduction.

ronyork

Apr 28, 2015
Hunts
How does one introduce or suggest your wife might need a carer. I know I would like a day free of constant thinking what is my wife doing, To mention the word carer, my wife hits the roof. Of course she considers there is nothing wrong .

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
How does one introduce or suggest your wife might need a carer. I know I would like a day free of constant thinking what is my wife doing, To mention the word carer, my wife hits the roof. Of course she considers there is nothing wrong .

Could you put it to your wife in terms of help for you, rather than for her?

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
I was in this suituation with mum. She was most puzzled as to why someone should be coming in as "you're perfectly capable Isabella of doing all that needs to be done". I then said it was a wonderful new free service to give people who needed a job a way of earning some money and that we should help them out by allowing them to work in the house for a few hours. My mother liked the sound of this so allowed the carer in. After a few weeks it was like the carer had been there for ever. Would this approach work with your wife?

ronyork

Apr 28, 2015
Hunts
I was in this suituation with mum. She was most puzzled as to why someone should be coming in as "you're perfectly capable Isabella of doing all that needs to be done". I then said it was a wonderful new free service to give people who needed a job a way of earning some money and that we should help them out by allowing them to work in the house for a few hours. My mother liked the sound of this so allowed the carer in. After a few weeks it was like the carer had been there for ever. Would this approach work with your wife?

Willtry this but will consult her daughter first

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area

You know what we found was that although we were so worried about how it would work, actually the whole thing went smoothly than we could have imagined. We tend to call the carer a personal assistant , and normally they are just so lovely and friendly they end up enjoying it. The carers are very experienced and they know how to ease themselves gently into the situation whilst being respectful. The PA work out what Approach is needed and tailor their approach accordingly. Also you should discuss with your wife what she would like for example maybe the carer could take her to the hairdressers or food shopping or to visit a friend, something that would give her a feeling of freedom and independence...

Courageous

Jun 1, 2015
Spalding Lincolnshire
Is a carer someone whom you have to pay for yourself of is there a way of getting help to pay for one. I feel that My Mum would benefit from a lady helping her wash and dress each morning. Her husband does this but he doesn't encourage her to doesn't use soap, clean her teeth, do her hair or change her clothes very often. A carer for a few hours would help both of them no end. He is in his 90 s. Mum is mid 70s