Carer Allowances

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Regarding council tax - yes, a person can be discounted if they are severely disabled or "mentally incompetent" (this is defined as being, they would not understand what council tax is or what it is for). However, only one person per household can be disregarded.

For example, in my house, my Dad could be discounted because of his dementia, or I could be as a permanent resident carer, or mum could be due to her Parkinsons and mobility problems.

However, not more than one of us could be disregarded. Doing so would only reduce us to two, which means we would still have to pay full council tax. If there were only two of us, we could get one disregarded and reduce us to the single person's rate...

As regards the higher rate of attendance allowance, there is a definition of what "attendance during the night" is. The forms do not mention the critera (I assume because everyone would just tailor their description to fit this). The definition is that night is between (as I recall) 11pm and 6am, and that you have to do it for so many minutes throughout the night.

And yes, the house mist be disregarded if a spouse (of any age) is redient in it. This is because of the "duty of care" spouses have (it;s also why they aren't subject to inheritance tax).

linda a

Jun 13, 2006
suffolk
Thankyou Mary_Ann

Oh thats just what i needed to here :)
We are at the point where S S are talking what we have and more inportantly what we dont have so reading your post tonight makes me think i could have some choices ,
Id like to sell at some stage when our daughter leaves home say ,
To clear the morgage but id need all the equity to buy ,
But to know i could reduse the monthly bills would be so good,
I keep trying to find out things and someone says one thing then i get no you cant and the social worker we have is not very up on things,
I hope it all goes well for you its so hard all this isnt it we feel so bad with out all the can we cant we ,

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Nebiroth,

I was assuming a single person in a house when I said council tax is cancelled.

I am not aware of any specific criteria for determining what is care at night, e.g. hours of night, or a number of minutes of care required. If a relative has displayed signs of confusion as to whether it is day or night, that seems to comply, or if he or she has to be locked in at night. When I filled in the forms (honestly) there were plenty of examples of what consituted care in the night, just being on call seemed to be enough. But maybe I forget.

All I can say is, it just points to the confused situation we are ill in, not knowing what we can claim for and what not. I say claim for it all, and get an bright friend to help or at least look over your application.

Good luck to everyone.

Margaret

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Does anyone know what would happen if i had to sell the house? I have mobility problems. If my problem got worse ( i hope not and i'm doing all i can to to improve it)and i had to sell the house to buy a house on the same level what would happen? I would need the money the house sold for to buy the other house. As my husband is in a nursing home would SS still take half? He would not be able to sign or be aware what is happening to get the house in both names. We have no mortgage.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I am not aware of any specific criteria for determining what is care at night, e.g. hours of night, or a number of minutes of care required. If a relative has displayed signs of confusion as to whether it is day or night, that seems to comply, or if he or she has to be locked in at night. When I filled in the forms (honestly) there were plenty of examples of what consituted care in the night, just being on call seemed to be enough. But maybe I forget.

There are specific criteria that have to be met - just as there are for the standard rate Attendance Allowance, there is a definition of what "throughout the day/night" means. It means that you have to have help a certain number of minutes, over a specific time period, a certain number of times.

You have to meet these criteria to qualify - it's up to the person judging the case to try to fit your description against these criteria.

This is why they ask for you to describe in as much detail as you can - and preferably, you should be giving how many minutes are spread over how many hours.

This is why it's so important to get help in doing the claim forms. The person helping you will know the formulas used and the conditions you have to meet.

You're right when you say if you're "on call" then that would count - it would mean you meet the "throughout the night" tickbox.

wendyg70

Jan 9, 2008
Brentwood, Essex
Hi i've just been reading through the postings and I didnt realise that mum may be entitled to a discount on her council tax as dad has dememtia. Reading through Havering Council's (our local council) information on council tax is says that if you meet two or more of their listed criteria a discount of 50% may be allowed. Obviously dad will count as the severe dementia part, but would they count mum as a carer, or is this discounted as she is his wife? Does anyone know? Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the useful information. THANKS X

Scoop

Nov 20, 2006
Just a quick bitof info as it seems most of the AA stuff has been covered, if you apply online you don't have to physically get the person claiming to sign it. Easier for us as my Dad at times has great trouble signing things now.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
postings and I didnt realise that mum may be entitled to a discount on her council tax as dad has dememtia. Reading through Havering Council's (our local council) information on council tax is says that if you meet two or more of their listed criteria a discount of 50% may be allowed

Hi Wendy,

I'm wondering if this varies from council to council...I've just applied for a council tax reduction for my husband-was told it will be only 25%..better than nothing..
I can claim no reduction as a carer.
The GP has had to complete a statement and sign it to say that my husband is now severely mentally impaired..so I'm waiting for the outcome of this

Love Gigi x

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
I gave up working a year ago to look after mum as I could not balance work with looking after mum fulltime, but am going to go back for my own sanity.

If I earn more then £100 I do not get any care payments it’s a joke, if I put my mother in a care home it would cost the government more then £300 a week.

Just say all carer said right lets go on strike lol we all arrange to put are relatives in rest bite at the same time & then say right we not taking them back till you pay us what we are worth could you imagine it lol .................ok joking aside

Is it right that I heard or read that care for my mum is free if I go back to work ,to bring in a carer for her while I go to work ?

No its stupid. Furthurmore, I understand I cant "pay" myself from mums assets if I care for her..but I can pay a NH £860 per week. This I do not understand. I work full time but I am going to be made redundant on 9 april. I considered bringing mum home but I would have to make up my salary as I have a mortgage and bills as we all do. Wasnt expecting to take as much as I was earning outside the home..(although caring for mum would be 24/7 rather than a 35 hour week!) but I would need to pay all the basic bills...but I understand I cant!!

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Hi i've just been reading through the postings and I didnt realise that mum may be entitled to a discount on her council tax as dad has dememtia. Reading through Havering Council's (our local council) information on council tax is says that if you meet two or more of their listed criteria a discount of 50% may be allowed. Obviously dad will count as the severe dementia part, but would they count mum as a carer, or is this discounted as she is his wife? Does anyone know? Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the useful information. THANKS X

Wendy, I believe that a maximum of one person per household can be "disregarded" for Council Tax purposes. This would mean that either your dad(as someone with dementia) or mum (as a resident carer) could be disregarded, reducing the Council Tax to the single person's rate.

However, I don't think that more than one person can be disregarded - in our household of three, all of us qualify in one way or another...but two people pay as much Tax as three, so it's not worth it.

On the other hand, you local authority website seems to be saying that further discounts might be possible.

I always work on the premise - if you don't ask, you don;t get. Nothing to be lost in applying - the very worst that can happen is that someone will say no!

wendyg70

Jan 9, 2008
Brentwood, Essex
Just a quick bitof info as it seems most of the AA stuff has been covered, if you apply online you don't have to physically get the person claiming to sign it. Easier for us as my Dad at times has great trouble signing things now.

Thanks for the advice scoop. My dad has the same trouble, he cant always remember who to sign let alone how.

Back to the point of how much discount you can claim..i went back and checked out local authority website and have copied the following text :

"If you live with adults who fall into one of these categories:

Student, in receipt of child benefit, prisoner, YTS, carer, nursing home or religious community, registered severely mentally impaired, diplomat, a member of an international headquarters or defence organisation, a non-British spouse of a student

These adults will be disregarded and a discount of 25% may apply. If all residents fall into one of these categories a discount of 50% may apply. In certain circumstances a full exemption will apply."

There are only mum and dad living in their residence so I guess they all fall into one of the categories as required by Havering Council. Im going to give it a go anyway, the least we can get is 25% and thats better than nothing eh!! Thanks again Wendy x

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I think you will find if you do the forms online they will send them to you (filled in as you did online) to be signed, either by the applicant, or someone who has power of attorney for the applicant.

It's also possible to do the forms if either of these is not possible, in that case you have to explain (a) why you are doing them for the applicant, why they can't sign,(b) why you are applying without their knowing about it (this is also possible) and (c) you haven't got power of attorney.

If you have power of attorney you don;t have to explain.

But, I have to admit, they do seem to have virtually all the contingencies covered including the one carers of people with dementia will have, which is having to do things for them without letting them know we're doing it.

Oh - if you're going to apply for that council tax disregard - be careful, as I think they notify in writing whoever is recorded as being responsible for paying it. You don;t want a letter going to dad saying "you have applied for council tax disregard as you are mentally incompetent"...

wendyg70

Jan 9, 2008
Brentwood, Essex
Oh - if you're going to apply for that council tax disregard - be careful, as I think they notify in writing whoever is recorded as being responsible for paying it. You don;t want a letter going to dad saying "you have applied for council tax disregard as you are mentally incompetent"...

Good point nebroith!!!....I dont think dad would be aware of what post was his though.

Thanks and take care, wendy x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
No its stupid. Furthurmore, I understand I cant "pay" myself from mums assets if I care for her..but I can pay a NH £860 per week. This I do not understand. I work full time but I am going to be made redundant on 9 april. I considered bringing mum home but I would have to make up my salary as I have a mortgage and bills as we all do. Wasnt expecting to take as much as I was earning outside the home..(although caring for mum would be 24/7 rather than a 35 hour week!) but I would need to pay all the basic bills...but I understand I cant!!

Who told you that you can't do that ?

I would not advice doing that now anyway ( caring for mum now ) because your mother been in care home for so long , remember what happen at Christmas .

You would have to pay someone that is specially trained in AZ other wise your going to have a nightmare on your hands .

But I can not understand why anyone has a right to stop someone that has given up they job to take care of they parent , does not want to pay be paid benefits, to let they parent contribute to the running of the house hold expenses , also pay they mortgage or rent, themselves an income .

Just like the government does for the carer when they give up they Job .

I suppose it can get complicated because of Tax NI pension . so the person would need to have accounts .

when I stop working in UK , because I had to go to Gibraltar to sort out my mother , I did get full time Job out they , then part time . But when I got back to UK.

I got a letter to say that for 2 years I had not paid my NI in UK, So they ask me if I wanted to make it up, as if not it will effect my state pension in the future .

Last edited: