Carer Allowance

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
So today I received a letter from DWP saying that I have been awarded carer allowance for my partner that has been in receipt of AA for a few years. I was unaware that I could get carer allowance so have only recently applied. Just so people are aware partner does not have dementia but does have Parkinson's and I have remained on TP as my dad had mixed dementia and I lost him January last year. I unfortunately made a mix up on the carer allowance form and now have to reapply for the backdated payment as didn't receive any. When I filled in the form online I recall seeing a question that asked if I had been looking after the person before that date ( I presumed of filling in the form ). I answered yes to the question and as I knew that three months could actually be backdated so I put December 2021 . The error I made which lady explained when I called them was when asking when I wanted the actual claim to start and thinking of the date I was filling in the form I had put that ?. So hopefully I will still get the backdated amount but lady says I need to apply for carer allowance again so will potentially take 12 weeks. The lady says to call them when I've done it and they will make a note so they are aware it is just for any backdated payments awarded. The allowance I have already been awarded she says won't be affected and it will continue.
So I just wanted to make anyone aware if applying for carer allowance and you want some backdated payments the dates basically have to match i.e. you want the allowance to start from 'The backdated date'. Out of interest has anyone else done the same or was it just me not understanding the form? I am annoyed with my error as now got to fill it all in again and wait for it to be sorted when if I had perhaps been more diligent it would have all be sorted now.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
So today I received a letter from DWP saying that I have been awarded carer allowance for my partner that has been in receipt of AA for a few years. I was unaware that I could get carer allowance so have only recently applied. Just so people are aware partner does not have dementia but does have Parkinson's and I have remained on TP as my dad had mixed dementia and I lost him January last year. I unfortunately made a mix up on the carer allowance form and now have to reapply for the backdated payment as didn't receive any. When I filled in the form online I recall seeing a question that asked if I had been looking after the person before that date ( I presumed of filling in the form ). I answered yes to the question and as I knew that three months could actually be backdated so I put December 2021 . The error I made which lady explained when I called them was when asking when I wanted the actual claim to start and thinking of the date I was filling in the form I had put that ?. So hopefully I will still get the backdated amount but lady says I need to apply for carer allowance again so will potentially take 12 weeks. The lady says to call them when I've done it and they will make a note so they are aware it is just for any backdated payments awarded. The allowance I have already been awarded she says won't be affected and it will continue.
So I just wanted to make anyone aware if applying for carer allowance and you want some backdated payments the dates basically have to match i.e. you want the allowance to start from 'The backdated date'. Out of interest has anyone else done the same or was it just me not understanding the form? I am annoyed with my error as now got to fill it all in again and wait for it to be sorted when if I had perhaps been more diligent it would have all be sorted now.
those forms are long and its easy to get confused. it would be good if they were clearer